2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG indicator

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Angry MPG indicator

Much has been said about how inaccurate the Fit mpg indicator is. Mine is consistently 6-7 mpg off. Indicates higher than I am getting. I went to the dealer today, and mentioned that there must be a fix, since so many Fit owners have the same problem. I noted to him that the indicator on my Pontiac is dead on. His response: "Yeah, well it's not a Pontiac." Sorry response from a Honda dealer. Hondas should be better than a Pontiac.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Mine is off too. I filled up yesterday and it said my average MPG was 35.2

After filling it up, I calculated an actual 31.1mpg

myke

Old 08-15-2009, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Mine is off too. I filled up yesterday and it said my average MPG was 35.2

After filling it up, I calculated an actual 31.1mpg

myke
Mine is always 2-3 mpg off. My last fillup averaged 34.4 mpg, but the readout said 37 mpg....

Old 08-15-2009, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is consistently 4-6 MPG optimistic since day one. Mine has to show at least 46 MPG to get an actual 40 MPG.

"It's not a Pontiac."

Old 08-15-2009, 04:38 PM
"Its not a Pontiac" Spoken like a bitter ex GM salesman!
That's just MORONIC! There has to be a reason why the gauge is so far off, its not like Honda to half-ass it but perhaps just a glitch not addressed in their testing. Everyone who has experienced this should inform their dealers and make a formal complaint, only way for a recall is for enough people to bitch about it enough. I doubt anything will be done since its not a safety issue but we can only try right?

Old 08-15-2009, 05:24 PM
I didn't think the average MPG feature was accurate on any car, so no surprise when my actual MPG turned out to be 4-5mpg less than the Fit's reading. If other makers are gettin it right, then it certainly IS worth complaining about...not before I send my e-mail(s) insisting on better brakes (rear discs and/or larger front calipers).

Old 08-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Mine is usually a good 4mpg off from tank to tank. Just finished up a 1k vacation run. Meter says 39.10 and actual is 37.04...closer but still not accurate. If they could get it within 1mpg I guess it might actually be useful.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:16 PM
My Pontiac (Solstice) is accurate to with 1 mpg...always.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
But 95% of Fit owners probably never calculate it themselves and tell all their friends they're getting 42mpg in the Fit.

May be wrong but it sure works I bet.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
I'll find out tomorrow when I fill up for he first time. My 07 altima was religiously 1.5-2mpg high and when I asked the Service manager about it... he kind of rolled his eyes and just told me they are all like that. He's not sure why Nissan doesn't do anything about it since it seems to be a very high percentage of he vehicles are consistently an average of 1.5 mpg off.

~SB

Old 08-15-2009, 07:51 PM
secondspassed...You are probably right.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Mine is off. And I certainly don't get the outstanding mpg everyone else seems to get. I personalize my miles and actual gas cost on the Fuel Economy site, and get exactly what they say I should be getting. About 29 mpg average. Because 90% of my driving is city.

The mpg indicator says 31.4 right now. That's not too far off. Still, it would be nice if it was absolutely accurate to a 10th of a mile.

What I DO like about having it, even though it isn't completely accurate is I get immediate feedback on my driving. I keep the selector on the part that shows the mpg and the range.

Seeing that mpg number tick up as I'm driving is like a reward. Whatever it is I'm doing, it's a GOOD thing. Like going downhill. LOL! And idling is a BAD thing. That encourages me to change my habits, like not going to stores during heavier traffic times/days/weekends, because I know I will use more gas. To do the SAME thing I CAN do at other times.

Since we know it's not accurate, only a rough estimate, use it as a tool to help you to make better choices.

But it should be an alert to Honda not to do this...make it right, or don't make it. Otherwise they will face the same fate as the Americans did, when stuff started getting crappy and nobody bothered to make it right.

Didn't Honda have odometer problems?

Dear Honda:
There is only so long one can ride on their laurels and you're only as good as the last car you made.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
I dunno how bad idling is, it wastes gas obviously but if you're not moving the gauge should read 0mpg (don't actually know, I have a GD3). It may seem scary, but it's just a number.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Cool MPG Calculator

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the late '90's and it's MPG calculator was almost dead-on correct.

Before picking my Sport A/T today, I had spent hours reading reviews. It is a shame that they could not have dialed it in a little closer. That's why there are so many +40 mpg claims out there................too many people are assuming the meter is accurate. I've been driving for almost 40 years and although the EPA estimates for cars are off, you just don't kick those numbers in the butt like some of the claims that are out there..........they have to be using the MPG reading the car is giving. Guess I'll get to see over the next couple months.

Doesn't bother me a whole lot, for if I get anywhere in the range of 30 overall, I'll be happy as a clam. That will be over double my C4C Taurus wagon that is currently on death row, awaiting it's date with the crusher.

Very happy with the stereo, since as an old man I'm not going to drop a load of speakers in the back. Getting a lot of looks from people my age that must be thinking "What's up with that old man?". I'll just crank up Def Leppard's Rock of Ages on their ass. As Joe Elliot sings in that song.........."It's Better To Burn Out, Than Fade Away". The lookers can fade away...............I'm burning out !!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
My theory is that some gas evaporates, hence the odometer reading may in fact be accurate... i.e., it only counts the gas going IN TO THE ENGINE, whereas we are counting the gas going INTO THE TANK. But that big a difference is not something I expected either... Im getting always about 5% off... (lower)

Old 08-15-2009, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
oh, Just as an FYI; (related to fuel economy) for those that have a Pocket PC Phone (or handheld) running windows mobile; I found a program called GasUpLogger that I have used on my phone (and my previous Dell Axim PPC) to keep track of mileage. you enter your ODO statement, whether it was a complete/Partial fill-up and the number of Gallons/litres and it will calculate your MPG (or L/100km). I used it with my 07 Altima 3.5SE and averaged 26.7mpg over 30k Miles. I like it because it is "calculated" mpg and not the trip computer. also, it'll show you the average mpg over the life of your vehicle. you can see it in graph or table format and export it to Excel (.csv)

HOLLY
Click on GasUpLogger and then download/install the .cab file on the PDA. It worked on my Axim X50 (WinMobile2003) and my samsung omnia (WinMobile6.1)

~SB

Old 08-15-2009, 11:01 PM
taffettawhite..I am getting 38-40 actual in town with the A/C off. Since I am in Phoenix, that doesn't happen much lately..110 degrees in the shade. With the A/C on I am getting about 33 mpg. I actually get better mileage in town than on the freeway. This thing could use a 6th gear. Gets near 4,000rpm at 75-80 mph. MPG meter always says 40-44 mpg.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
I'm only on my 4th tank of gas but my meter is off and getting worse.

First tank: read 36.2 actual was 32.4
Second: read 36.5 actual was 31.8
Third: read 39.0 actual was 32.7

The thing is useless

Old 08-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Maybe Honda engineers had a little too much Sake one day?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Ok, one more time.

The fuel economy gauge is actually an engine efficiency gauge. It calculates expected efficiency as power is delivered from the engine and at the current rate of fuel injection. It DOES NOT ACCOUNT FOR DRIVETRAIN LOSS. Some cars use other sensors that are post transmission, the Fit does not. Manual guys will be 8-10% off, Auto guys will be 15-20% off. Honda aren't going to release a fix for it to current owners, but I think it is a possiblity they will add some sensors in future models to detect post-trans economy.

Quick Reply: MPG indicator