2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for '09 Sport???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Tires for '09 Sport???

Stock tires are shot at 18k. I am looking for a new set of treads on the original rims. Has anyone upsized? And if so, what did you go with and/or what would you recommend? I need an all season tire. I am conidering a 205/50-16 because of the larger selection and similar diameter. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:29 PM
205/50/16 is a perfect replacement for the OEM tires.

Choose your flavor.

myke

Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I replaced mine with 205/50-16 and they're great on the fit. The speedometer is even more on than with the old tires according to my GPS.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
but i think the fit will perform best with the stock tire sizes no? in mpg, handling, safety wise.....because im pretty sure the engineers at honda did extensive measures on different tire sizes before they chose the particular stock size that we have..

correct me if im wrong though.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Skinnier tires will only improve fuel efficiency.

The recommended tire size for the optional Mugen wheels is 205/50 - 16 and Honda designed those to work on the Fit.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:41 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
205/50/16 is a perfect choice. It will handle way better and feel more solid around turns and on the highway. You'll probably lose a mpg or two. But what's 2 mpg out of the 30+ we get. Ill sacrifice that for better performance any day.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:34 AM
but i think the fit will perform best with the stock tire sizes no? in mpg, handling, safety wise.....because im pretty sure the engineers at honda did extensive measures on different tire sizes before they chose the particular stock size that we have..

correct me if im wrong though.
you are wrong and suffer from the "engineer fallacy."

Old 09-04-2009, 04:48 PM
my thoughts exactly if the engineers were so picky the fit would not come with the worlds worst horn

Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 PM
The engineers still have to get the approval of the bean counters....

Old 09-04-2009, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
If I remember correctly, the 2009 Fit Sport went down a tire size from the earlier model. Coupled with more weight and more HP, I think the change in tire size was strictly to keep the rated gas mileage as high as possible. As soon as my OEM tires start showing wear, I'm going for 205/50 as replacements. Screw the gas mileage -- I want some traction in the corners.

Last edited by Selden; 09-09-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:19 PM
I would be surprised if I could actually feel/perceive a difference in performance between the stock size for an '09 Fit Sport and the 205/50s. If I were to go for the 205 deal, it would be for the better selection...if that selection = better tires in the mix.

I've chased-the-rabbit on tires sizes with both a sportbike and a dual sport. A 10mm increase in width meant jack-turds to me...i'm sure it's there, but probably outside my envelope of riding...anyway, go for it....just not sold on the idea that the handling will actually be "way better."

Old 09-05-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
I had a civic and a CRX that both came with 185 wide tires and upgraded both to 205. The difference in handling was definitely noticeable for me.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:36 AM
dgs
Originally Posted by ntercept
Stock tires are shot at 18k. I am looking for a new set of treads on the original rims. Has anyone upsized? And if so, what did you go with and/or what would you recommend? I need an all season tire. I am conidering a 205/50-16 because of the larger selection and similar diameter. Thanks for the help.
Stuck at home with mom visiting for the Labor Day holiday much to my new girlfriend's displeasure. So what do you do when you're stuck at home bored to tears, Fit Freak to the rescue!

Anyway, you must drive your car very hard to kill the tires at 18K. Driven in a normal manner with occasional bouts of aggression I would expect the tires to last twice that long. Although I've noticed Honda went with two different tires for the 09 Sport, Bridgestone Turanza EL470 and Dunlop Sport 7000 A/S. I have the Dunlop's and I think they're okay and I think I'll get an easy 50K out of them. Maybe you have the Bridgestone's? Also do you keep your tires properly inflated? Low tire pressure will kill the tread on a tire quick.

Like you I will make the move to 205/50-16 for my next tire. I like the Dunlops but I would like to try something different next time and choices are incredibly limited with the stock tire size. Plus moving to a wider size will marginally improve handling and I'm all for that.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Watsoff
I would be surprised if I could actually feel/perceive a difference in performance between the stock size for an '09 Fit Sport and the 205/50s. If I were to go for the 205 deal, it would be for the better selection...if that selection = better tires in the mix.

I've chased-the-rabbit on tires sizes with both a sportbike and a dual sport. A 10mm increase in width meant jack-turds to me...i'm sure it's there, but probably outside my envelope of riding...anyway, go for it....just not sold on the idea that the handling will actually be "way better."
Actually, it's a 20mm increase. That said, brand is probably more important than size, as the OEM Dunlops don't have the greatest reputation. This has certainly been my experience with motorcycle tires. Some choices I have disliked from the moment I mounted them; others I keep going back to again and again because I like the way they feel and wear.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Selden
Actually, it's a 20mm increase. That said, brand is probably more important than size, as the OEM Dunlops don't have the greatest reputation. This has certainly been my experience with motorcycle tires. Some choices I have disliked from the moment I mounted them; others I keep going back to again and again because I like the way they feel and wear.
yes, 20mm...typo on my part. i'm not knockin the 205 deal, just a word of caution on the big claims on handling. Is it the measurement? Or the fact that they got a better cut/grade of tire? Or is it placebo effect?

Old 09-06-2009, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Watsoff
yes, 20mm...typo on my part. i'm not knockin the 205 deal, just a word of caution on the big claims on handling. Is it the measurement? Or the fact that they got a better cut/grade of tire? Or is it placebo effect?
All 3

But 20 mm is pretty significant. For a 185 mm wide tire going to 205 mm you're increasing the size of the tire's contact patch by 10%

Old 09-06-2009, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
Skinnier tires will only improve fuel efficiency.
and improve winter driving. 205's on a Fit in the winter here in VT would be Awful.

As for the increase in size and if it would be noticable? I went from 195's to 205's on my Integra GS-R and I noticed. The increase in handling of a 185 to a 205 means there is a total of 80MM (3"+) more worth of contact patch for your car. That's something that you'll notice... but only if you've ever heard your current tires squeal in the corner. If you haven't heard them squeal... you haven't pushed your car that hard in the corners... you don't need new tires...

You'll also notice if the car has a stiffer sidewall (quicker response from steering)

~SB

Old 09-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm willing to give it a whirl when it's time for new tires, so long as the extra 20mm isn't gonna be a strain on tire performance being fitted to the stock Sport wheels made for 185s. I know dudes who go nuts with extra width on their motorcycles, and that's a major roll of the dice when most of 'em do it for looks - the PO of my ZX6 had a 200/50ZR17 on a wheel made for a 160/60ZR17...unpredictable in hard leans, and a real eye opener during transitions. I got rid of that sh*t within a week. "stick to specs" sorta stuck in my head, but perhaps cars are a bit different

...I'll keep my eye open on the 205 reviews. I did several runs on one of my favorite country road, semi-twisties today. I'd ballpark me at 1/2 - 3/4 the limit of adhesion. Cornering balance was fairly easy for this go-by-wire accelerator. Steering is a bit twitchy, but I blame that on me. I did feel the beginnings of "the float" while cornering at 65+mph downhill...I converted to a series of straights to bleed off some speed...not quite ready to push the envelop on public roads, and in my new car. I'd say the stock rubber did alright considering my ~ .5 g lateral acceleration is about as far as I'm gonna push this car. There is room for improvement, but I'm happy with what I've got for now.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
An A/B comparison when someone switches from the OEM tires to 205/50 16 tires whould be ineresting -- with the caveat that new tires always feel better.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM
There's a noticeable difference in handling the last week and a half since I switched. I think I've lost around 1.5 MPG too. But that could simply be because I'm driving it harder to try to push the tires.

Quick Reply: Tires for '09 Sport???