2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ok... about the Fit's "Slowness"

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
My single gripe with the Fit is, when attempting to accelerate up a hill, well frankly it doesn't. I have had the pedal as far as it can go and nothing.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
The only time I wish for more power is trying to pass going up hilly highways (the highways through the Poconos mountains in PA have a lot of somewhat steep sections, for a highway at least), and certain on-ramps that are either too short, or go up a steep hill.

Most of the cars I've driven in the past have actually been slower than the Fit though, so I'm used to it. I could see people coming from like, a V6 Accord (0-60 in less than 6 secs!) complaining about how slow it is though.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 PM
I don't get "slow." Reviewers love to bandy about "underpowered" on these kinds of cars....underpowere for what? Underpowered or slow means you can't get up to speed coming up a freeway on-ramp. I have never had this happen, not even with 4 adults in the car....whip the hamsters up to 5000RPM and it takes right off.

It's certainly not FAST but I don't get what's slow about it. It's perfectly adequate.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Lek
Come on, lets sum this up. Honda have done a great job with the GE.

I know it's not perfect, but which car is. It's a beautiful city car.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Chad..I know this, my 09 Fit is way faster than the 06 PT Cruiser I traded in to get the Fit. For comparison, my new '66 Charger with 383 4 barrel did 0-60 in 8 seconds, not much faster than some published reports I have seen on the Fit. 60's Mustangs with a 289, and Barracudas with a 273 did 0-60 in about 9 seconds. Cars today are faster and more economical that the "hot rods" of the 60's. In any event, my Fit has no trouble getting to speed, and if I want to go faster, I hop in my Solstice.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Chloe, you might try shifting to 's' or triggering down a couple gears with the paddle as you merge; gets you in to the sweet spot of the engine more quickly than just jumping on the loud pedal.

My long ago fulie CRX posted similar acceleration numbers to the Fit, and it was considered a pretty damn quick little car back in the day; cars in general have just gotten faster.

I don't think the Fit is slow, but you have to recognize what you're driving, for merging or passing on a secondary road particularly. You also have to pick your fights; I got my ass handed to me by a pushy jerk in a VW Touareg V-8.

There are two schools of thought, here. Those of us who bought Fits for great gas mileage, reliability and the ability to haul lots 'o stuff are in one camp; the tuners, who aren't terribly concerned about these practical aspects, are in another. I'm not finding fault with that-my college car was a VW Bug with a snake's nest exhaust; it's just not why I bought the Fit, now.
Moon

Old 09-18-2009, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
It's perfectly adequate.
Indeed a good phase to describe it...

But my audi used to melt tires all the way up the ramps with its big turbo hell I climbed mount Washington auto-road in that thing in record time(well maybe not a record time but fast) so yah I miss the oomph...

I'm sure others here that call it slow have had cars that would eat the fit without the ketchup even...
We're not calling it slow in a derogatory manner its simply a statement of fact.
If you own a stock fit and call it something other than adequate or slow you've either not driven anything fast or are in denial.
I love it slowness and all...

Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
ok after a quick search of Motor Trend and Car and Drivers websites:

0-60 sec.
Yaris- 10.8
Versa- 9.3
Accent- 11.2
Aveo- 10.8
Rio- 9.6
XB- 9.8
XA- 9.4
SX4- 9.1
Fit- 8.7

all times were for manuals or sport shifting autos....so is the Fit fast? For it's class and price range YES. Is that why I bought one? No

Old 09-18-2009, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Slow:

Fast:

How much faster? About $15,000. You get what you pay for.

That said I enjoy driving a $15,000 car more than a $30,000 car back and forth to work. Just not passing up hill.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:47 PM
My car before was actually a MINI Cooper S and boy was that fast. There were alot of engine problems and it was declared a lemon. My parents were like, "See we told you! This time only Japanese! No discusson!!!"
Anyways I always thought the Fit was "just enough" until I was on the highway and there was a slowpoke in the middle lane so I changed lanes and shifted down 2 gears (AT) and punched the accelerator all the way down and I remember shouted, "HAHAHHAHAHA WTF ". But you know, it may not have off-the-line power, but it makes up for it in reliability, above-average handling, and quick steering ratio. And this is coming from a former driver of a MINI Cooper S with the sport suspension and summer tires. I'm sure when my OE Dunlops wear out and I put in some Yokohomas, I'll forget I had a MINI.

Haha and my parents originally wanted to get me an Accord . It's an ugly mom car. Doesn't even have the option of USB connection.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Lek
I don't want to get to technical, but I had my car's ECU re-flashed and I get a lot more power and better MPG.

Check this out: YouTube - Mighty Car Mods EP22 - How To Reflash Your ECU

Last edited by Lek; 09-18-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Slow:

Fast:

How much faster? About $15,000. You get what you pay for.

That said I enjoy driving a $15,000 car more than a $30,000 car back and forth to work. Just not passing up hill.
Your engines look very clean. There's so much crap in my engine bay. Do you clean them?

Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 PM
The Fit is faster than me on foot.

i'm not complaining.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by citabria7
Chad..I know this, my 09 Fit is way faster than the 06 PT Cruiser I traded in to get the Fit. For comparison, my new '66 Charger with 383 4 barrel did 0-60 in 8 seconds, not much faster than some published reports I have seen on the Fit. 60's Mustangs with a 289, and Barracudas with a 273 did 0-60 in about 9 seconds. Cars today are faster and more economical that the "hot rods" of the 60's. In any event, my Fit has no trouble getting to speed, and if I want to go faster, I hop in my Solstice.
Yeah these young guys don't know slow. Minivans of today could beat a lot of muscle cars from back in the day. Heck you can buy a 4 door Mercedes that runs freaking 11s in the 1/4 mile nowadays.

The Fit is a fun car. My Omni has double the HP but the Fit is just about as fun. Omni is more like a roller coaster that you're not sure is going to stay on the track. It's a lot more fun to give people rides in though.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtunofun
Your engines look very clean. There's so much crap in my engine bay. Do you clean them?
My wife wipes hers down. I drive the Fit (and that was the weekend it came off the dealer's lot).

Old 09-19-2009, 12:07 AM
It's the right-most pedal, folks; PUSH IT DOWN!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Honestly, learn to drive with what you have. Knowing your shift points and where your cars' sweet spot is will do wonders for you. Heck when I'm going 65/70 I gear down to 3rd to give it a kick otherwise 4th will not do squat (automatic w/paddles). Hell I've driven dohc's with more stock hp that feel worse, talking sub 120-130hp.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Don't know if my GD3 Sport AT is slow by today's standards. I do know that every single time I get behind other cars on any on-ramp (uphill or down), my Fit is always screaming up to their rear bumper by the time we hit the end of the ramp. Always. Half the time I leave the turn signal on and just merge into the fast lane. Maybe once a month I see another car accelerating to 60 faster than me on an on-ramp.

Maybe it's my driving style (I believe one should be going freeway speeds before entering traffic from the on-ramp) but in any case, the Fit has always had more than enough acceleration for freeway driving.

The only time I notice a distinct lack of power, is when there are four people in the car and I am passing on a two-lane county highway. Even then...only minor screaming and hysteria from the passengers as the oncoming logging truck bears down on us.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chloeishere
I am not one to bitch about how slow it is. I think it's a joy to drive most of the time, unless you are trying to get up to highway speed quickly on a short, uphill on-ramp (which unfortunately happens at least a few times a week, since I mostly hit the same ramps).

I'm coming from a 4.0L '96 AT Jeep Cherokee. I much prefer the way the Fit drives (it's a very, very long list of how much better the fit is, so I won't go into it). The only way that it suffers for me, is in getting up to highway speed on the ramp. Once I'm at 60, it'll zip right up to 70 or 80 no problem, it's a pleasure (it really is, once it gets there)! But going up those steep on-ramps, even if I floor it, it just doesn't GO. Isn't it supposed to be a go? The Jeep didn't necessarily shine in those areas either, but if I was willing to hit the gas hard enough, it could get up to highway speed very quickly. The fit just... can't. Yet. Maybe as it breaks in more.

I'm still trying to find the right amount of lead in my foot that can get it up to highway speed as quickly as possible, without the engine bogging down. It really doesn't seem like it goes that much faster if you floor it going uphill. Times like these, I wish I'd gone for the manual. But I do mostly city driving, very stop and go, so...

For driving around town, I think it's got a very nice amount of power. I can zip away quickly, but most of the time I'm trying to drive fuel-efficiently, so I don't rev it too hard.

I have an AT, by the way.

Agreed. The fit has exactly how much power you need. I let my old man drive the car and he was impressed. Its come along way since the econoboxes of his day. In fact the Fit has the exact same HP as a 4.2L 1980 v8 mustang. If you think the fit is slow you bought the wrong car

Old 09-19-2009, 01:33 AM
The fit is actually peppy for city driving. It just falls flat after 75mph. Just like most of you, I didn't buy it for speed. Previous cars I owned and still own are an RSX-S, Integra GSR, 06 S2000, and an Evo IX. The Fit will smoke all of them in MPG!

Quick Reply: Ok... about the Fit's "Slowness"