2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof top Racks

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Roof top Racks

With winter right around the corner, I'm looking at getting a ski/snowboard roof top rack. I'd like to be able to pull it off and on easily. Has anyone got one? Is Yakima or Thule easier to install/remove, and which one is more secure on the Fit?
Thanks

Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
ive seen a lot of people with the Thule one. and it looks pretty cool on it too.

i was thinking of getting one too. almost timee for snowwboarding!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
I have sold both Thule and Yakima for years and have used all Thule racks. I just tried a Yakima on my Fit and it is definitely faster to remove/install than the Thule. Just depends on if you need to remove your rack often.

Last edited by runbikerun; 10-09-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2009, 01:27 PM
i have a thule rack as well, though not yet installed. i've used thule on pretty much all my previous cars. it takes about 10-15 minutes to take it off (i'm careful) and about 15-20 minutes to install it the first time since i take my time making sure the load bars and tension are equal on both sides.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I had a yakima rack for my previous car. It is definitely easy to install/remove once you get used to how it works.

Does anyone have photos of their Fit with a roof rack?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-09-2009, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
I have both the Yakima and Thule Racks (haven't put either one on the Fit yet). I used them on my integras and both worked great for holding equipment (I needed the short fit kit for both integras)

I found that with the Fairing on the roof, I lost 3-5mpg on my Integras. When I removed the fairing on the GS-R I gained it all back but had a nasty Howl from the Yakima. Some of the "wind jammers" solved that issue. Of note, with a Bike, A Box, etc... on the roof on my integra, I lost fewer MPG than with just the fairing. (moved from PA to VT with 2 bikes and a Cargo Box on the roof in a fully loaded GS-R and averaged about 26mpg) The Thule didn't howl as bad as the yakima because of the square bars but the Yakima is easier to remove. I need to get the Q Clips for the yakima before I can install mine on the Fit.

~SB

Old 10-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Absolutely LOVE this thread. Yessir, snowboarding season is right around the corner and I can't wait for my Fit to lose it's mountain virginity!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Here is a pic of my yakima.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
^looks like a off-roader. hahaha

Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 PM
This is a good rack for carrying two snowboards it goes on and off in seconds WinterRacks.com - your source for winter window racks....

Old 11-04-2009, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by therealrico
This is a good rack for carrying two snowboards it goes on and off in seconds WinterRacks.com - your source for winter window racks....
That looks like it could break your window if not installed proper or if there is too much weight put on it.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Did you watch the video? It is very easy to put on, I have had one for years with no problems.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM
its snowboarding time....

what u guys think?

Name:  fit078-1.jpg
Views: 2817
Size:  83.0 KB
Name:  fit076.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  101.9 KB

im all about the yakima racks just because it looks better

yakima roof rack
-Q towers
-48" crossbars
-front Q99 clips
-rear Q99 clips
-sks lock cores
-skybox 16

the sky box 16 is the best roof carrier i have ever bought EVER
there is not a lot of drag compared to the thules i have owned
and the locking is really easy and it opens easily

Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by fit-jagger
yakima roof rack
-Q towers
-48" crossbars
-front Q99 clips
-rear Q99 clips
-sks lock cores
-skybox 16

the sky box 16 is the best roof carrier i have ever bought EVER
there is not a lot of drag compared to the thules i have owned
and the locking is really easy and it opens easily
How much did all that cost?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 PM
How much did all that cost?
i got deals when i bought it all together it was around $1010ish cnd funds

Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Right spend 1010cnd to have a semi permanent roof rack on your car

Or 120us to be able to put the rack on only when you need it, and when you aren't using it, doesn't matter how it looks because it comes off in two seconds when your not using it.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Right spend 1010cnd to have a semi permanent roof rack on your car

Or 120us to be able to put the rack on only when you need it, and when you aren't using it, doesn't matter how it looks because it comes off in two seconds when your not using it.
120 for a roof rack wow the reason i bought this set up cuz i do a lot of long driving how would a 120 roof rack handle doing 110k
Vibrates much?? rust?? waste gas?? and a lot of wind noises
i been through 3 different kinds for roof racks why would i buy another piece of crap roof rack that would last me not even a season
say what you want but i learned from experience sir

Old 11-06-2009, 02:48 AM
Well you are not a typical user and so I guess this probably wouldn't be right for you. First off do you actually use your roof rack for all 110k miles, if so than you probably would want a more durable roof rack. But for the majority of users such as say a weekend snowboarder they aren't going to carry their snowboard with them all the time.

So this type of rack is great because when they do need it they can slap it on, and then take it right off. And when they are driving during the week and not using their roof rack, it isn't on their car affecting gas mileage, as well as getting wear and tear from the weather, and plus you don't have to deal with the noise.

It is also good in addition with other racks such as this example. Say you have a rack that carriers three pairs of skis on one side, and two snowboards on the other side. Well say you have three or four passengers in the car and they all snowboard. You ran out of room on the rack, and you can't put the seats down because of the passengers. Well you can throw this thing on really quick, and you are good to go. It is really small so you can store it in your tire well, or in the truck and it doesn't get in the way.

For your situation maybe it isn't practical, but I don't think it is common for most people to put 110 miles on the car with their rack. Bare in mind I mean actually using the rack to carry something for 110k miles, not just having on their car for all those miles.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Please someone show me where you can get a complete rack system for $120 that isn't the biggest POS on the market. I too own the yakima. I had a thule system on my volvo s40 before i got my fit and I greatly prefer the yakima simply because it's designed better and well thought out. I have the same rack system as pictured above (minus the skybox).

If you do your reaseach on the yakima site and go elswhere to piece it together it's really not that expensive. You can find complete rack systems on eBay. Then go and purchase the specific Q clips to for your vehicle. I recently purchased a load warrior cargo basket for my yakima for extended camping trips. It should be here next week. Same idea as the skybox pictured above just a different functionality.

If you're in the market for a roof top rack then go Yakima. It's a personal decision which to get but from one fit owner to another, the Yakima is superior in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Roof top Racks