2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

outside temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
outside temp gauge

I am having difficulty in finding a small wireless temp gauge for my Honda Fit. I welcome your ideas, as cold weather is approaching.

James

Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Do yourself a favor and get a Gentex autodimming rearview mirror. The come in many flavors, including ones with temp gauge/compass, homelink, and even one with a built in LCD.

They are easy as pie to hook up. My version (GENK20A) only needed a switched 12v and a ground.

GENTEX AUTO DIMMING MIRROR GENK20A COMPASS TEMP & BONUS:eBay Motors (item 370251908560 end time Sep-27-09 01:12:30 PDT)

Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
+1 on those Gentex mirrors. Especially the homelink ones.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
what is the diff b/w gentex 50 and gentex 51 ? ?? ?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, definitely get the gentex mirrors.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
which model is everyone running, these mirrors do sound interesting, what is involved for the install? is the temp accurate, does the auto dimming work well?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 AM
This will be installed on a 2009 Honda Fit.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:51 AM
rearview mirror

I just ordered my mirror yesterday. So, I too, am wondering about placement of sensor, routing wire, and such. I look forward to more thoughts on proper installation.

James

Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 AM
I have an extra auto-dimming Gentex mirror with temp and compass for sale. If interested, drop me a PM, I would be happy to sell it to a fellow Fit owner at a reasonable price. It works great, I was going to put it in my wifes CR-V but she decided she doesn't want it. I put a similar one in my Fit, I love it.

I can help you with wiring connections and all too, since I already did it myself.

It is model GNTX-177, like this one:

GENTEX GNTX-177 AUTO DIM REAR MIRROR TEMP COMPASS KIT :eBay Motors (item 140345570164 end time Nov-11-09 07:53:48 PST)

Old 10-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Just an FYI, but while looking up the Gentex mirrors, I also found this one from CIPA at Amazon for $145:

http://www.amazon.com/36400-Dimming-...sim_dbs_auto_3

Note, I don't own either brand so I can't vouch for quality or comparison purposes, I just thought I'd throw out another option. The (three) Amazon reviews are all five-star.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Fit rearview mirror

My mirror just arrived today. My first concern is removing the existing mirror. Does the plastic cover pry up from the bottom where there is a slot? Since you have done this, I appreciate any details that worked for you such as routing the wire. I haven't studied it yet. Thank you.

James

Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Taking off the existing mirror is easier than it looks. If I recall the plastic cover is clipped off first, then I put a screwdriver into the slot and slid it right up and off.

The wire routing wasn't bad either. I routed it from the mirror to the middle of the headliner, then up over the drivers side visor. From there, I opened the spot where the headliner meets the top of the A-pillar trim and found some black plastic things behind the air bag. Not sure what they are for, but I fished the wire right through them. I think it is best behind the airbag, so it won't interfere with it opening. From there, I pulled the window trim rubber off and tucked the wire inside the A-pillar trim and down into the fusebox area. In there you can connect the power and ground.

For the sensor wires you can either go through the firewall to the engine compartment, but I didn't bother with that, I went through the little spot that routes wires to the door and from there to the left side of the engine compartment and up into the front bumper.

Good luck, it's easier than it sounds.

Originally Posted by inertiajim
My mirror just arrived today. My first concern is removing the existing mirror. Does the plastic cover pry up from the bottom where there is a slot? Since you have done this, I appreciate any details that worked for you such as routing the wire. I haven't studied it yet. Thank you.

James

Old 10-17-2009, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pgethea
Taking off the existing mirror is easier than it looks. If I recall the plastic cover is clipped off first, then I put a screwdriver into the slot and slid it right up and off.

The wire routing wasn't bad either. I routed it from the mirror to the middle of the headliner, then up over the drivers side visor. From there, I opened the spot where the headliner meets the top of the A-pillar trim and found some black plastic things behind the air bag. Not sure what they are for, but I fished the wire right through them. I think it is best behind the airbag, so it won't interfere with it opening. From there, I pulled the window trim rubber off and tucked the wire inside the A-pillar trim and down into the fusebox area. In there you can connect the power and ground.

For the sensor wires you can either go through the firewall to the engine compartment, but I didn't bother with that, I went through the little spot that routes wires to the door and from there to the left side of the engine compartment and up into the front bumper.

Good luck, it's easier than it sounds.
is there any cuting or splicing factory wires involved? how does the mirror mount, right on the factory mount? thanks

Old 10-17-2009, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Oh and anybody know if these mirrors can give temperature readouts in both celcius and farenheit? Ive searched and havent been able to get a solid answer either way

Old 10-17-2009, 08:30 AM
The only splicing/cutting comes in when you have to connect the ground and power wire to the ignition, somewhere near the fusebox. You can use an add-a-fuse type device, or connect right to an existing wire that is on when the ignition is on.

Mounting the new mirror is really easy, at the one I had (Gentex 177), it slips right onto the mount on the windshield and tightens with a screw.

This mirror (and I think most of the Gentex ones) give temperature in either C or F.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Looking at some of the Gentex models I really like the rear view camera one. Just can't find any info on which camera's work with it and any wiring instructions. supposedly works with all factory camera's

Their website also shows that they plan on releasing a bluetooth model too. I'm thinking I should wait till they offer that with the rear view camera, then I can have two options my Honda Navi should have came with.

Not sure which model to get but I'm beginning to really like the Gentex mirrors. Any suggestions?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 PM
If anyone is looking for a Gentex auto-dimming rearview mirror with temperature and compass, I have one for sale on Ebay at a fair price:

Gentex Mirror auto dimming, temperature compass, sensor:eBay Motors (item 110448630932 end time Oct-26-09 19:12:44 PDT)

this mirror has the same windshield mount as the 2009 Fit, I installed one just like it in mine.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Thank you for you divice on installing the mirror. I don't see any problems, other than I am having a problem locating an appropriate wire to power off of. I am using a voltmeter. There is quite a mass of wires. I am hoping you can help me with that.

James

Old 10-22-2009, 04:18 PM
I went with the purple wire identified in the pictures here (see post #28):

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...acement-2.html

however, I am not sure this is the best one to use. It works, but this purple wire is actually the power to one of the back power windows. So, when you turn the car off, the power remains on the mirror until you open a door, just like the window power. Also, I have had a couple times where the mirror didn't get any power, some combination of rolling down the window while starting the car or something, I have not been able to identify the exact cause. Anybody have a clue why this would happen?

Originally Posted by inertiajim
Thank you for you divice on installing the mirror. I don't see any problems, other than I am having a problem locating an appropriate wire to power off of. I am using a voltmeter. There is quite a mass of wires. I am hoping you can help me with that.

James

Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Again, thank you for your advice. I didn't have any difficulty routing wires, , mounting the replacement mirror, and feeding the sensor wire into the opening for the wires from the door. I guess I'm not sold on the purple wire. Perhaps the mechanics at Honda will share that info with me if so, I will pass it on. I didn't find any unused fuse spaces that were 12 v only with the ignition on. That is what I was hoping to find.

James

Quick Reply: outside temp gauge