2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the Spoiler help or hurt gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Does the Spoiler help or hurt gas mileage?

Has anyone tested this? I have been searching around to find out if the Fit's spoiler does anything to help or hurt mpg. Other car forums seem pretty inconclusive. I can't tell if the airflow over the spoiler would benefit this car for mileage or not. I'm definitely not worried about lift on this car with my driving.
Just curious.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
I can assure you that with the speeds that the Fit is capable of the spoiler doesn't really help by creating downforce as they are intended. As for gas mileage i'm sure it doesn't help or hurt it. The spoiler is there for purely aesthetic reasons.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Because the Sport weighs more than the base model by something like 100 pounds, it does get slightly worse fuel economy. But who cares, I like how the sport looks!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
I really like the look of it to. I was actually thinking about the new JDP spoiler.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Like was already said the added weight could hurt mileage, but I doubt 100lbs makes a difference at all. Also since a rear spoiler is technically intended to create downforce and keep the rear wheels on the ground and considering the Fit is front wheel drive it's a good thing the spoiler is there only for looks. :/

Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Just because a car is front wheel drive it does not mean that it wouldn't benefit from downforce...that is a misconception. Whether a car is front or rear wheel drive when you press on the gas inertia causes the rear of the car to squat. That is why you are never supposed to let off of the gas when powering through a turn or the rear of the car will lift up causing you to spin out.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by ELGE8
Just because a car is front wheel drive it does not mean that it wouldn't benefit from downforce...that is a misconception. Whether a car is front or rear wheel drive when you press on the gas inertia causes the rear of the car to squat. That is why you are never supposed to let off of the gas when powering through a turn or the rear of the car will lift up causing you to spin out.
But back to the question - very safe to say neither.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ELGE8
good point but 1 out of several thousand Fit owners will ever drive their car that way. especially the ones concerned about MPG.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Just because it is a spoiler, down force is NOT a given. That is done with the ANGLE of the spoiler and ours is angled slightly down, not up which would give you down force. The Fit does go fast enough for angled spoilers to work though, stick your arm out the window at 60 and change the angle of your hand,

MPG?????? Maybe yes

1. it follows the slope of the curving down roof line so it should not add drag

2. it forces delay in the wake vacuum and that is often a good thing for MPG

Old 11-20-2009, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
IMO the spoiler probably helps control the shape/flow of the wake, and has a possibility to increase mpg since it is pretty flush with the vehicle and follows the same contours of the body. Plus its not responsible for the whole 100lbs of added weight to the Sport model, maybe 10lbs?

Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
I suspect that the rear spoiler has no impact on gas mileage, but may help keep the rear window cleaner. Mostly, I think it's just for looks; different people prefer with/without the spoiler. You pays your money and makes your choice. The spoiler is only one part of the "Sport" package (too bad it doesn't include a DOHC engine with more power).

Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Spoiler??? I thought that thing was a sunshade for the rear window!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't know if it helps or not but I have the theory that it helps break up the vacuum behind the car and if that's so it possibly could help with fuel economy. Just a wild theory!!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
i wouldnt ever putone

Old 04-03-2010, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
or well maybe i would not sure

Old 04-03-2010, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
can ytou evern tell if there was one>

Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
Spoilers are designed to help minimize drag and in some respects improve traction and handling. Theoretically, the rear spoiler would eliminate the turbulence created at the tail of the car (visualize a wind tunnel). Air would flow smoothly over the top instead of the Tazmanian devil following you wherever you go . So in some respects it should improve gas mileage because of less drag. In pick up trucks, leaving the tail gate down or replacing it with netting has a noticeable impact on gas mileage.

But none of these would really apply to a Fit... really... I have one - looks good, keeps the rear window cleaner and a good sun visor. I'll leave it at that.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Spoilers are designed to help minimize drag and in some respects improve traction and handling. Theoretically, the rear spoiler would eliminate the turbulence created at the tail of the car (visualize a wind tunnel). Air would flow smoothly over the top instead of the Tazmanian devil following you wherever you go . So in some respects it should improve gas mileage because of less drag. In pick up trucks, leaving the tail gate down or replacing it with netting has a noticeable impact on gas mileage.

But none of these would really apply to a Fit... really... I have one - looks good, keeps the rear window cleaner and a good sun visor. I'll leave it at that.
Actually Mythbusters did two seperate segments on Pick-Up Tail-Gates and fuel economy. I think the results of their testing was that a pick-up with the tail gate down was actually the worst configuration as far as fuel economy. They tried a mesh netting and found it to actually help.

My opinion is The Fit "Spoiler" is first and foremost a decorative item. I like the way it looks, "maybe" it helps keep the rear window cleaner...but I harbor no illusions concerning it either increasing performance nor do I have worries that it is hampering fuel efficiency.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Because I don't have the spoiler, I have convinced myself that it hurts mileage, with no proof at all, but so far it's working. All kidding aside there are members taking off the spoiler, I would like to hear from those members to see if there mpg went up or stayed the same after the spolier removal.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 AM
Spoilers can change aerodynamics considerably. I am curious what you will find. The '97 Corvette redesign incorporated a huge rear end due to the way that it shapes airflow -- I remember reading that the designers were either going to do that or use a spoiler to get the same aero effects. The Fit's change in drag coefficient is probably negligible.

Last edited by moorefitloving; 05-19-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Free Spoiler Offer Rescinded Due to Sale

Quick Reply: Does the Spoiler help or hurt gas mileage?