2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

A/C on defrost mode. how to turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
A/C on defrost mode. how to turn off?

can this be turned off? I have tried the civic instruction way.. but doesnt do anything.

the GD was much easier to do by pulling out a plug..

im getting really bad mileage lately because of this and im sure its because of this.. also the fact that im in Vancouver and its been really damp and rainy i have pretty much left it on defrost/foot mode.. and i hate the fact that its using a/c while im on that mode..!!

please help thanks!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
Go here https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...c-defrost.html

You think it is making that much dif in gas mileage? I doubt it.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
PM Polaski.... I know that he disconnected a wire from the A/C to the defroster but I can't recall what thread that he posted about doing it.... It was in one of his earlier ones and you can view his threads on his profile.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tdubl
can this be turned off? I have tried the civic instruction way.. but doesnt do anything.

the GD was much easier to do by pulling out a plug..

im getting really bad mileage lately because of this and im sure its because of this.. also the fact that im in Vancouver and its been really damp and rainy i have pretty much left it on defrost/foot mode.. and i hate the fact that its using a/c while im on that mode..!!

please help thanks!
yup, what i do is i turn on the defrost for like 20 secs, wait for the windows to clear and then turn the knob soemwhere else, and repeat, and repeat. but I agree, gas mileage in the winter is going down for me as well. Its partly because of the AC defrost and because I heard they put stuff/ chemical in winter gas and because of that u don't get as many kms out of it.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackvitzrs
yup, what i do is i turn on the defrost for like 20 secs, wait for the windows to clear and then turn the knob soemwhere else, and repeat, and repeat. but I agree, gas mileage in the winter is going down for me as well. Its partly because of the AC defrost and because I heard they put stuff/ chemical in winter gas and because of that u don't get as many kms out of it.
I have to do the same as you with switching the defroster on and off even at night in the summertime.... It is strange that you say that they add stuff in the gas there in the winter that hurts mileage because the do that here in the summer.... I get better mileage in the winter.... It isn't quite winter here but temperatures dropped into the upper 30s early this morning and warmed up into the mid 70s during the day.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Go here https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...c-defrost.html

You think it is making that much dif in gas mileage? I doubt it.
YAY thank you.. im gonna try once i get a day without rain..
this is what im talking about.. i did the same thing with the gd3.

i have to say.. iv been getting really crappy mileage..

end of august time i get around 420kms.. the mileage meter would usually be around 6.9-7.2L/100kms, now im getting 7.9-8.4 and getting only around 390-400kms..

i think the difference is major.. and honestly the defrost/feet mode is my favourite.. it doesnt make my eyes dried and keeps me warm/cool from whatever i set it as.. i usually drive with fan lvl 1 either medium cold/hot or just full hot and leave at lvl 1 fan..

thanks and ill take a pic if i can to take out which plug.. and add it to that thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Banned
A/C disconnect on the defrost is a great free mod. Just pull the front of that panel down and back. Plug is the long white one closest to the driver's side. You can't miss it. I also like the floor/defrost mode but didn't want to run the A/C all the time.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Will the windows still defog?

Old 12-08-2009, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
yes, outside air warmed by the heater will do this (as in any car). In addition you may still run the A/C in defog/defrost mode by pushing the A/C button if you have modified your car this way. It just won't default to running the A/C when you select defog/defrost the way it was designed.

Personally I hit the A/C button and increase the temp setting when I see the windows start to fog and skip switching to defog. Also I don't select recirculate except during extreme temps. I don't favor yanking out wires to defeat the A/C running by default in defog/defrost. I'm skeptical that the A/C will run when the ambient temp is lower than 45 but have yet to test this (others here have posted that it does). Normally the A/C won't run when it's close to freezing outside to avoid the evaporator coils from freezing up.

If there was ice on the outside of the windshield I'd scrape it, use defrost mode and move farther south.

this isn't rocket science, people!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Personally I hit the A/C button and increase the temp setting when I see the windows start to fog and skip switching to defog.
Just curious, why run A/C directly vs using defrost?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigcanoe
Just curious, why run A/C directly vs using defrost?
I practice preventative defogging. At the first wisp of condensation I hit the A/C button. The drying effect immediately removes the moisture from all windows, not just the windshield.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Its rain season here, and I hate using the AC as well when Im trying to defrost. I haven't tried the trick of disabling the AC in defrost mode yet though- that might be worthwhile.

I find what helps the most if you don't want to use the defroster is to crack the windows in the front just a bit- this helps equalize pressure and for me, my windows didn't fog up as long as I left the windows cracked open (just 1/4") As soon as I closed them, the front window started fogging again.

If you disable the defrost-AC mode, then running straight up hot air on the windshield is the best way to keep it clear.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:53 PM
A/C disconnect on the defrost. HOW? details please.

hey there. I'm hoping you could elaborate about what panel and specific location of it you're talking about, so as to attempt this modification. Sorry but your description below is a little weak to be able to tackle it without more information. I have an 07 fit that I would like to do that with. Thanks bunches. And by the way, since this post is a number of years old and if my reaching out doesn't reach the author, does anyone else have that information they would like to share with me please? Thank you

A/C disconnect on the defrost is a great free mod. Just pull the front of that panel down and back. Plug is the long white one closest to the driver's side. You can't miss it. I also like the floor/defrost mode but didn't want to run the A/C all the time.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-28-2016, 10:57 PM
You have a GD Fit (1st generation), not a GE Fit (2nd generation), but I think it's generally similar in this case.

The panel in question (on the GE8, at least) is the one directly underneath the climate controls, above the cup holders and cubby hole of the center console. It's removed by carefully prying it down from the back; a hook shaped something works pretty well. It's held in by friction catches, like much of the interior trim.

Once it's off, the plugs for the knob unit that directs the airflow are visible. One of them is for the light for nightime illumination of the knob, and one is to switch on the A/C when the defroster is selected. Obviously the one to disconnect is the latter one. On the GE8, it's the connector that's less inaccessible.

You can still turn the air conditioner on in defrost mode with the usual A/C switch.