2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you drive with your fog lights on all the time?
Yes
58.27%
No
41.73%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with your fog lights all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Do you drive with your fog lights all the time?

By all the time, I mean when it's not raining, snowing, or foggy outside?

I ask because someone driving a prius (totally serious!!) approached me last night in the local whole foods parking lot and said, "hey man you were driving with your fog lights on that's not cool!"
"It's not?", I inquired.
He proceeded to give me a thoughrough explanation into the actual purposes of fog lights and it's detriments when not used properly. I politely thanked him for his inciteful information but I still think he's a douche. And even though he's a douche for being all uppity and better than thou, he did make a good point and I won't be using my foglights unless the situation calls for it.

What do you guys think? Do most people use fogs inappropriately?

Old 12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
I might be crazy, but I only use them in the fog.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
I have mine on all the time. I drive back roads to and from work at night and the fogs really illuminate the curbs well for me so I can see any animals ready to take to the street- including small ones, right up to deer. I'm a big user of high beams too, when needed. But with them, I only put them on when I really need them and I'm very respectful of on coming drivers. But my driving is at night and one thing you learn big time- light is king. And since street lights are hit and miss, either because they're using them less or they don't fix them, CAR lights matter a whole lot. If I can see better with the fogs on full time for supplimental light, they stay on- no matter what know-it-all might have to say in a parking lot. That same know-it-all was probably parked like a schmuck and drives even worse.

Also, fogs on don't blind on coming drivers.

Dan

Old 12-14-2009, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
I might be crazy, but what difference does it make to other drivers? They illuminate the area close to the car. They're not like high-beams or driving lights.

Don't have them (don't care). No wait, I have them on my other car. Can't really tell when they're turned on except maybe when it's foggy out.

Which reminds me of driving in Europe where the fog light is on the back. A red beacon shining the message "Don't rear-end me!" OK they have'em on the front too sometimes, but the one on the back is mandatory. And you have to promise not to use it when it's not actually foggy.

What detriments did he give you?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:27 PM
On all the time. Just looks better imo. Looks more sporty.
Plus I have Led fogs so it looks even better then the stock bulbs.
I think that guy was a douche. I always have fogs on in all my cars. If you got them might as well use them.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 12-14-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
While I don't take delivery of my Fit Sport until Thursday, I can tell you that I will likely only be using them when it's foggy (and only if they help visibility). My 2002 Acura TL-S had fog lights, and I almost never used them. They were worthless, even in the fog, not really improving visibility. Same with my VW Passat that I had previously.

I guess I'll reserve judgement until after I drive with them on.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:34 PM
When I had my 95 DX coupe, I had legit Stanley clear SiR fogs with Silverstars in them. I used them as driving lights. Cops used to bust my balls all the time, stating that fogs are not to be on when the weather is nice.

Frankly, unless they are aimed incorrectly, or really bright - I don't think they pose a hazzard to anybody. Anyone who tries to be super-righteous and thinks they should only be used in fog probably isn't super-righteous enough to care about what you see on a dark road. The only thing that would piss me off are people with their rear fog lights on either during the day, or during okay weather.

So yes, I drive with my fogs on anytime my headlights are on.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
mine are always on... not really foggy in az..

Old 12-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Always on. Like committobefit08 said..its jus more sporty..i bought a fir sport for the fogs and shit..south florida isnt really foggy..honestly..ive jus gotten use to when i turn my head lights on, the fogs go on too.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by IVTEC
While I don't take delivery of my Fit Sport until Thursday, I can tell you that I will likely only be using them when it's foggy (and only if they help visibility). My 2002 Acura TL-S had fog lights, and I almost never used them. They were worthless, even in the fog, not really improving visibility. Same with my VW Passat that I had previously.

I guess I'll reserve judgement until after I drive with them on.
The TL didn't really have fog lights. They were more of an accent light. They used the wedge bulbs (same bulb as your interior lights and front driver and passenger doors lights) I had them on my CL-S as well. I agree with you they were pretty much worthless for actually light.
Now the Fit and my TSX use H11 bulbs they actually put out a decent amount of light. I def. notice a difference in visibility especially when there is snow on the road.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
They give you more light. More light = more visibility. I also own a Prius, but fuck that douche.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:27 PM
I only use them in poor visibility. The glare can be annoying to other drivers (though the Fit's are low enough that it's not that big of a deal) and is illegal in some places and they're expensive to replace.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
prius drivers should know everything about not being cool... and just reconfirmed they dont know anything about cars either.

i use fog lamps all the time in the rain/fog especially at night. my FitS's lamps are kinda weak vs my other cars with HID's....

Old 12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
While I don't take delivery of my Fit Sport until Thursday, I can tell you that I will likely only be using them when it's foggy (and only if they help visibility).
I think you'll notice the Fit's fogs very much DO improve field of vision, especially in width. My lighted field of vision narrows considerably without the fogs on. Once you have 'em on, you get mighty used to them. IMO, the fogs offer so much more of a width spread that it's the single reason I won't be putting a colored lense on them, such as yellow. And while I do agree big time that they are a part of the sporty look on the Fit at night, beyond that the light they put out is super useful for every day [night] driving.

I also haven't met fog lights that were remotely useful in actual fog. Head lights off, fogs on, both on...truely bad fog will screw you no matter what, ime.

Dan

Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
If my headlights are on, so are my fog lights.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtunofun

He proceeded to give me a thorough explanation into the actual purposes of fog lights and it's detriments when not used properly. I politely thanked him for his inciteful information but I still think he's a douche.

Suspect your assessment of him was right, but would be curious what his rationale was.

I agree with FITproject. Properly aimed lights of any kind should not be an issue for other drivers.

We bought the most basic Fit possible, but am probably going to add aftermarket front and rear fog lights to Fit. Have those on our MINI, and they are super. Only light up the rear one in fog or other serious low-vis situations, but think front ones help conspicuity in general.

What drives me nuts are the folks who don't even have headlights on in fog. Was (and is) pretty soupy in Atlanta today and a significant portion of drivers did not even have on headlights, even in early a.m.

Wouldn't worry about the lecture, tho, again, wonder what his "logic" was. "Wasting electricity?"

Old 12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
I have an '09 base model with dealer-installed factory fog lights. The regular low beams are so bad that I won't drive at night without the additional fogs lighting my way. They don't help me see any further down the road than low beams only, but they sure widen the path of light, which is essential on the dark, twisty streets around my neighborhood.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
The best description of fog lights I've read is from Daniel Stern: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I quote from the site above:
The fog lamps' job is to show you the edges of the road, the lane markings, and the immediate foreground. When used in combination with the headlamps, good fog lamps weight the overall beam pattern towards the foreground so that even though there may be a relatively high level of upward stray light from the headlamps causing glareback from the fog or falling rain or snow, there will be more foreground light than usual without a corresponding increase in upward stray light, giving back some of the vision you lose to precipitation.
I've noticed this on my Fit -- the fog lights are aimed rather low and mostly in front of the car. But as a result...
In clear conditions, more foreground light is not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Some foreground light is necessary so you can use your peripheral vision to see where you are relative to the road edges, the lane markings and that pothole 10 feet in front of your left wheels. But foreground light is far less safety-critical than light cast well down the road into the distance, because at any significant speed (much above 30 mph), what's in the foreground is too close for you to do much about. If you increase the foreground light, your pupils react to the bright, wide pool of light by constricting, which in turn substantially reduces your distance vision—especially since there's no increase in down-the-road distance light to go along with the increased foreground light. It's insidious, because high levels of foreground light give the illusion, the subjective impression, of comfort and security and "good lighting".
I've noticed this myself actually -- my eyes adjust to the bright area directly in front of my car, and it's harder to see farther down the road, which is what really matters in my sort of driving. I'm not sure if something I saw with my fogs, but not with my normal headlights, could be avoided if I was driving on a rural highway...

Of course, everybody's different, and I don't think the fog lights cause much extra glare when it's dry out, so I don't really care what you do... just providing a dissenting opinion .

Old 12-14-2009, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have fog lights.

I voted no.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
I do it mostly for other drivers to see me because Im cool...actually that was sarcastic, I do want drivers to notice me as the Fit is not exactly large, and I feel that bigger trucks(semi types), have a better chance of spotting 4 lights Vs. two, day or night. Not to mention this is an F'ing free country.

Quick Reply: Do you drive with your fog lights all the time?