2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My Fit hates extreme cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit hates extreme cold

So last night we had what I believe was our first hit of 20 degrees overnight. Wind chill surely dropped it down in the single digits. I work overnight, so I experience all the joy first hand too. My Fit has not been all too happy with extreme cold temps, I'm noticing. Turn over takes a little longer and it's kinda like the car is telling me- oh please don't make me start. It's starts every time of course, but the cold puts an extra bit of coma on the car. I've also noticed consistantly now, when reversing out of the driveway and putting the car in drive, there's a bit of a delay dropping into first- which I directly attribute to this extreme cold. That doesn't happen once the car is warmed up, and never when it was warmer out.

Yeah- my little Fit hates the cold, it seems. Who could blame it!

Old 12-18-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
I think the Canadians and Minnesotans are going to make fun of you. Not to mention the North Dakotians and Wyomeans.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
That's fine. I'm not claiming we have it the coldest here in NY. But it is cold! I'm actually curious to hear from those folks as to how their Fits handle even more disaterous cold temps.

Dan

Old 12-18-2009, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
It was -35C here a couple nights ago. The Fit started just fine, though of course I had the block heater plugged in all night. The clutch was extremely stiff, but the heater works surprisingly well and I haven't even stuck cardboard in front of the rad.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah, was 4 degress F this morning and even though I let it warm up a bit - no issues other than just dealing with the washer fluid freezing on contact with the windsheild.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Gorsnak
It was -35C here a couple nights ago. The Fit started just fine, though of course I had the block heater plugged in all night. The clutch was extremely stiff, but the heater works surprisingly well and I haven't even stuck cardboard in front of the rad.

huh i never even thought about the cold freezing the clutch... any side effects?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Was 1(F) this morning when I fired up the fit. took about 50% more cranks than usual and about 4 miles of driving before the blue light went out (I also let the car Idle for about 5 minutes) When I got to the gas station to pick up washer fluid, I noticed it was about 3(F) and fortunately, not windy. filled up the reservoir and cleaned off that windshield. By the time I got to work, it was 6(F). At 19(F) when leaving for the day, the Fit fired up without any issues. still took about 3 miles of driving (after idling for 30 seconds) before the blue light went out. 10 miles later, the car was finally warm(ish) inside.

~SB

Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if the Canadian market gets bigger heater cores.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
I wonder if the Canadian market gets bigger heater cores.
I think block heaters are an option in Ca.

~SB

Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
I think block heaters are an option in Ca.

~SB
yeah but I mean the heater's "heat exchanger core" itself. Mine is comfy here in GA but that's not saying much.

I remember from my days as an illegal immigrant that Canadian Tire offered a range of plug in car heaters, inline heater hose antifreeze heaters, oil dipstick heaters, block heaters, in car warm air heaters, battery trickle chargers and electric blankets.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 PM
i love college
OP, im not gonna make fun of you, but in salt lake we have seen some negatives at night lol

Old 12-18-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
I let mine idle for 3 minutes, then take off. One thing I notice is gas mileage is worse in the cold. Now it's pretty hard to get up to 30 on the mpg meter and doesn't stay there long, in city driving. In fact, the meter becomes sluggish in moving one way or the other really. It's more responsive at warmer temps for sure.

And now, enter a blizzard here tomorrow. Good grief. Warnings abounding. I think I'm gonna put my Caddy car cover I kept over the Fit. It's way big for the Fit, but it's something at least.

Also- does anyone else experience the delay dropping into 1st from reverse in extreme cold when first starting out?

Dan

Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 AM
In Europe (don't know if Can. markets get them) - most high-end German cars can be equipped with so-called auxiliary heaters. Small heaters that run off gasoline, but burn far less then the engine and heat the coolant prior to you getting in your car.It can even run the fan so that warm air circulates the cabin. We don't get it in the US, due to insurance reasons - but it would be nice to have.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:24 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199

Also- does anyone else experience the delay dropping into 1st from reverse in extreme cold when first starting out?

Dan
Every car I ever drove has a sluggish transmission in extreme cold until it warms up.

Sounded like you have never experienced a cold winter with a car before?

Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member
Wuss! Been below freezing here for a few days. Fit started just fine. Yes it is cold inside. Most cars are. It takes awhile to warm up but hell that is why we have winter coats and gloves eh.

You think the ride is choppy now. Wait til the dead of Jan when suspension gets real stiff. Just be happy on those days it is moving.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Wuss! Been below freezing here for a few days. Fit started just fine. Yes it is cold inside. Most cars are. It takes awhile to warm up but hell that is why we have winter coats and gloves eh.

You think the ride is choppy now. Wait til the dead of Jan when suspension gets real stiff. Just be happy on those days it is moving.
Gloves? Wuss!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
LOL! It's a wuss war I tell ya!

Right now on Long Island NY we're getting pounded with a blizzard. 15 inches and counting at the moment. Probably 2 feet here when it's all done. I parked my Fit at the end of the driveway so I don't have much to shovel to get free and on the road. But it was a long shovel to get to it!

Dan

Old 12-20-2009, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
I just thought I would point out that Wind Chill does not apply to non-living objects. Wind Chill has to do with how the wind strips you of the protective layer of heat radiating around your body. The FIT does not radiate heat when it is not on.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Canadian Fit doesnt come with a larger sized heater core, and a block heater is an option. in colder parts of canada they come standard, no option. when i had mine, it was down to -50c for a week or two and as long as you have the car plugged in and yuou let it idle for at least 10 minutes before you think of going anywhere it's fine. oh and i'm regretting my decision to trade my Fit for the truck, as my truck is already in the shop! it was -40c last week and the clutch master cylinder primary seal decided to freeze and crack, soo my truck is not in owrking order until the dealership can get it in! oh how i miss my honda.. they still have it at the dealership and they want 15,995! thats $1000 off brand new.. like come on.

Sorry i didnt mean to hijack! Good luck when it actually gets cold my friends

Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit is sleeping soundly with the gentle pur of her own 1500watt oscillating electric heater tower. Absurdly wasteful, inefficient, and ineffective. But hey, it's a frickin free country and my Fit really hates the cold too! I need to get a block heater for it. They're cheap, and the install doesn't look too bad...http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2009_Fit_EngineBlockHeater_AII39862.pdf

Last edited by reako; 01-08-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: My Fit hates extreme cold