2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Car wash question

Old 12-26-2009, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Car wash question

I was out today running errands and thought of going to a particular car wash. I opted not to because I wasn't sure if my stock Fit was high enough to avoid getting damaged by the rails (tires go in between) that guide your car "down the tunnel".

Has anybody here ever gone through one of them style car washes?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
i have yet to see anyone recommend taking the fit through any mechanical car wash.

the paint is infamous for swirling... among other potential issues.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:38 AM
ouch... mechanical car wash sounds like a beating for a fit. honda paint is really soft paint to begin with, so it will definitely swirl or even scratch. your best bet is to give it a hand wash with 2 buckets. 1 bucket for soap, 1 bucket or water to rinse out your sponge before dipping back into the soap, that way you don't pick up dirt again on your sponge and rub it all over your paint and swirl it up! there's different kinds of soap and all that good stuff, i use a combination of different brands for different tasks. the Fit Care forum might help ya!

Old 12-27-2009, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
I'd recommend taking to a Touchless car wash to get the majority of grime off. There are some places that have a DIY touchless where the sprayers go around your car and you just sit parked in the middle. sprayer arms go out and around the car instead of your car being "pulled" through using those guides to keep it straight. I doubt those however would be an issue as the only place the guide would potentially rub is on the inside of the tire/wheel (Fit has a narrow track).

~SB

Old 12-27-2009, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
+1 on the Touchless Car Wash, that is the only kind I take mine to. Does a pretty good job, take a soft towel to dry your car off though. The dryer's usually suck.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Geez, it's only a car. In fact looking at the automotive world it's a very cheap car. The rails at our local car wash do not cause a problem.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:02 AM
My fit has the crystal black pearl and it's swirl city now. definitely go for the touchless. and when you wax make sure the buffer is clean.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
Geez, it's only a car. In fact looking at the automotive world it's a very cheap car. The rails at our local car wash do not cause a problem.
to some like you a car is a tool.

to others a car is a deity to be worshiped upon.

i'm right in the middle.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
The reason I was asking was because I wasn't sure if the Fit sat high enough. I didn't want to drive in only to have the car drug through damaging the spoiler, side rails, etc...

Old 12-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
If you want to keep your paint from being swirled stay away from all car washes except for touchless (although I don't go to those either). I would just be careful because your car is low and the body kit if you own a Sport is going to take some abuse. I went through a car wash like this with my old Ford Pinto and it took off my front license plate - riped it right off the screws!

Cat :x

Old 12-27-2009, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
A pressure washer, microfiber wash-mit and a good synthetic chamois is the way my Fit gets washed. Good quality car soap is important too.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Very fine swirl marks are unavoidable. They are more noticeable on the black paint than any other colors.

I wonder if anyone still cares about them after few years of ownership.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:09 PM
I use touchless in the winter, only because I figure it's better than leaving the salt on it.

Barb

Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Geez, it's only a car. In fact looking at the automotive world it's a very cheap car.

yeah. you're right. why take care of a silly $18,500 machine? i made my down payment in nickels and dimes.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
You should be okay. Fit sport has ~6in of clearance if you need to measure. I too would recommend self washing in the spring, summer, and fall. Then go touchless in the winter if temps get down to freezing. I was very proud of my wax job as it has been holding up through the nasty winter and road salt thus far. Keep in mind those winter brushes can cause fine scratch marks as the nylon bristles can scratch paint. I'd recommend a foam snow 'pusher'

Old 12-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by spin out
yeah. you're right. why take care of a silly $18,500 machine? i made my down payment in nickels and dimes.

I take care of my silly machine but I'm not anal about it. I suppose if it was all I owned I would feel differently.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Nice quote

Originally Posted by mole177
to some like you a car is a tool.

to others a car is a deity to be worshiped upon.

i'm right in the middle.

Nice quote. I agree.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Well, let's see, I tend to keep my cars for a while. My previous car was a 1991 GTI and still has the original paint, NO rust. If you take care of something it will last longer. You don't have to be anal about it, though in retrospect I guess I was for many years.

The fit will be well looked after and as it is black (third black car in a row) automatic washes have to be touchless. Once the car wash in our condo re-opens in the spring, we'll be hand washing her.

As for being anal about something, I guess my other Honda qualifies

So much chrome, so much fun....over 45,000 km in three years.

Barb

Old 12-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I understand your concern, I work at a carwash that uses a conveyor like you are referring to. Our rails on either side are probably 6" high (rough estimate), maybe even closer to 8". I run my Revolution Orange Fit through once a week and have no problems. The only car I think we have problems with (as far as stock suspension, not after-market) is the Genesis Coupe... I have heard horror stories of them scraping. As far as putting swirls in the clear coat... I'm not touching that one.

I will however tell you that if you have mud caked on the bottom of the car or something that we will not wash off because it will get stuck on our brushes, you can go to a self service and spray it off yourself and we will give you $6.95 off any wash, if you bring us a receipt. Maybe something around you offers a similar service?

~ For swirls in the paint, use a clay bar or a really good wax. I have used Zaino Brothers and it is amazing.

Last edited by pistolpete3521; 12-28-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Barb
As for being anal about something, I guess my other Honda qualifies

So much chrome, so much fun....over 45,000 km in three years.

Barb
Sweet ride! Here's my 10 year old baby...

Name:  DSCN2452.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  156.6 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car wash question