2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

hmm should i do it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
hmm should i do it?

hey guys been a long time, after 7 months with my 09 civic lx sedan i'm thinking about getting another ge8. i found a left over 09 sport orange revolution auto with 29 miles on it i can trade my 09 civic and $1,389 for it. i love my civic but its getting boring driving it so far i have tinted windows,hfp suspension, si front and rear sway bars but still have the lx steel wheels and hubcappys. i think i'll go back to the dealer and see if i can get the difference down some and think on it. but its good to be back and see all the sick fits (hope to have one soon) lol.

pics pre tint and suspension.

Name:  009-1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  188.4 KB

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  162.1 KB

Name:  003-5.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  98.8 KB

Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
I never recommend that people change their cars as quickly as that.

Next time take more time to choose a car and stick with it.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
With so many modifications done so far, I'd stick with the Civic. It's more powerful and the suspension is now more tuned. It'll also be better on economy than the Fit and is more comfortable. The only real benefits that you'd get out of the fit is cargo hauling and you'd lose a few things.

If you could get Private party on the sale, Then it would be a different story but with a trade and the amount of money you'd be losing you could buy a set of new wheels and some other upgrades.

~SB

Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
I say go for it.

I was never really fond of the current FA/FD Civics - too heavy, too detached-feeling for my taste, and close-quarters visibility is pretty poor IMO. The GE is the opposite of all that, although it's less cushy-riding and more prone to pitching.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
I never recommend that people change their cars as quickly as that.

Next time take more time to choose a car and stick with it.
Yup. You will never get your money back on "upgrades"

Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Since you have the Civic already I'd say stick with it. If you were in the market of buying one and you didn't already have a Civic I'd say go for the Fit. I never drove the Civic when I went to buy my Fit, but I'd probably stick with the Fit anyway. It's all kinds of fun to run around town.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
I have an orange revolution with 17k I'd trade you. However I still owe 13 k on it and it has 2 scuffs.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by specboy
It'll also be better on economy than the Fit. The only real benefits that you'd get out of the fit is cargo hauling
~SB
I disagree with both of those statements. Fuel economy, no way. The same gas mileage, maybe, but better than a Fit, no. Also, as a Fit owner if you think the only benefit of owning a Fit over a Civic (even his modified one) is cargo hauling I'm not sure if you bought the right car. Sounds like you would be a better fit (no pun) than the OP for a Civic.

For the record, I respect the Civic for what it is, but no way on Gods green earth would I trade my Fit for one (including the hopped up SI version).

Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dgs
I disagree with both of those statements. Fuel economy, no way. The same gas mileage, maybe, but better than a Fit, no. Also, as a Fit owner if you think the only benefit of owning a Fit over a Civic (even his modified one) is cargo hauling I'm not sure if you bought the right car. Sounds like you would be a better fit (no pun) than the OP for a Civic.

For the record, I respect the Civic for what it is, but no way on Gods green earth would I trade my Fit for one (including the hopped up SI version).
+1! My sentiments exactly....

Old 01-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
Also, as a Fit owner if you think the only benefit of owning a Fit over a Civic (even his modified one) is cargo hauling I'm not sure if you bought the right car.
What are the other benefits of the Fit vs. the Civic? Honest question...I love the Fit, but seems to me when trying to decide between the two it pretty much comes down to whether you want a hatchback or not.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
You get to be a member of this bb!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
What are the other benefits of the Fit vs. the Civic? Honest question...I love the Fit, but seems to me when trying to decide between the two it pretty much comes down to whether you want a hatchback or not.
1. Much more fun to drive than a Civic
2. Lighter than a Civic
3. Real world gas mileage is probably slightly better. We all know the 27/33 rating is BS anyway.
4. The enormous space advantage obviously
5. Better looking than the dowdy 8th gen Civic (personal opinion only)
6. Fit is 100% made in Japan, Civic is made in the US (yes, that is a plus for me)
7. More cup holders! (this is sarcasm in case you didn't know)

But you make an excellent point. Many people prefer a sedan to a hatchback. America is still a sedan loving country for some reason, so for them the Civic is the only option. Plus of course you can get a lot more features with the Civic not available for the Fit, such as rear disc brakes, heated leather seats, moonroof, outside temp display, center console, autodimming rearview mirror etc.

The Civic is a great car and it has name recognition and I wouldn't fault anyone for buying it. Money was not an issue for me when buying the Fit, I easily could have afforded the top of the line EX-L Civic with all the goodies, but I still chose my Fit. I love the car, what can I say. It makes me feel alive every time I get behind the wheel, I would not get that feeling from the Civic.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dgs
1. Much more fun to drive than a Civic
2. Lighter than a Civic
3. Real world gas mileage is probably slightly better. We all know the 27/33 rating is BS anyway.
4. The enormous space advantage obviously
5. Better looking than the dowdy 8th gen Civic (personal opinion only)
6. Fit is 100% made in Japan, Civic is made in the US (yes, that is a plus for me)
7. More cup holders! (this is sarcasm in case you didn't know)
I'll weigh in here.
1. With the HFP suspension & SI swaybars, I'd say the Civic is more Fun and will definitely handle better in corners. From a suspension standpoint, it's probably no different than an Si.
2. Fit is lighter by about 150lbs, Civic has more power and a better power/weight ratio. 19.2lbs/hp for the Civic, 21.4 for the Fit (2lbs/hp more)
3. The Civic in general has better economy than the fit due to it's Aerodynamic body and efficient engine. (and a better torque/weight ratio) All Hondas I've had have been over the EPA ratings except for the Ridgeline
4. No Brainer... Hatch... More cargo room. Civic has a little more backseat room but the rear doors on the fit and no rear sloping roofline make entry easier. (well, it makes adjusting the car seat straps easier with a little one)
5. I personally like the looks of both
6. Disagree based upon years of trouble-free civic, & ridgeline ownership.
7. Don't mock the cup Holders... With a toddler and sippie cups... cup holders are a god send.

We picked ours up as we didn't need something for long trips. (we take the Ridge for that). If we did, we would have spent the extra for the civic as it is much quieter inside at highway speeds. It is also more comfortable than the Fit. For us, The fit had lower payments, a nice grocery getter and short distance family hauler, it's economical, was fun to drive (I commute 25 Miles of country roads to work), had a better stereo for a lower price... and did I say Lower payments? If I had a choice, I'd have an Si but it's not practical with my wife going back to school and a 3 year old. The Fit... well... Fit the bill and it's a great commuter car.

It replaced An altima 3.5SE and as I've said before here and on the Nissan forum, I now drive to work... with the altima, I rode to work.

You can't go wrong with Either... But you can financially go wrong by trading... At this point anyway.

Your civic should be a strong performer with the mods on it. I'd keep it.
~SB

Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by specboy
You can't go wrong with Either... But you can financially go wrong by trading... At this point anyway.
~SB
That about sums up the whole point of this thread.

For the record I have no issues with the Fit on the highway the way some people do. I bought a lumbar support brace for the seat and now I could travel for hours on end with no fatigue. Plus I also forgot, the Fit is smaller than the Civic, both in width and especially length which makes it easier to park and maneuver.

If I had to buy any American made car it would be a Honda, as I would feel much more comfortable buying an American manufactured car using the quality control methods and requirements of the Japanese than buying American manufactured (or Mexico for heaven sakes, where much of the manufacturing is being farmed by American car companies) from an American car company.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Civics are ugly, and so common.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
I like the Civic and if I were you I'd keep it. I got a Fit over a Civic mainly because of the more bang for your buck and the versatility it offers. But around here, everyone has a Civic and you barely see any Fits on the road.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by calrose rice
I like the Civic and if I were you I'd keep it. I got a Fit over a Civic mainly because of the more bang for your buck and the versatility it offers. But around here, everyone has a Civic and you barely see any Fits on the road.
...which by itself is a good reason to go for the Fit. Once the keyless remote went west, I had trouble finding my Civic in parking lots. But the Fit is easy to spot, even when it's not orange :-) I can point it out to people from the window at work (forgive me, I've only had it a week).

Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Cargo capacity, higher seats (easier in/out for me), possibly better gas mileage, cheaper, a ton more fun, too many grandmothers drive Civics nowadays (OK, that shouldn't bother me but it does, even though I am no spring chicken myself ).

Those are all reasons I chose the Fit over the Civic. I could have afforded a Civic EX but I don't like to spend money if it's not necessary. Since necessary is a matter of opinion, IMHO, the Civic brought nothing special to the table and I liked the Fit driving experience much better, so why spend more money?

But if I had picked the Civic, I would not trade it in now if I had to bring a chunk of money to the table.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
Update on my Civic, 30% tint, SI grill, SI front & rear sway bars, Megan racing front & rear lower tie bars, 2012 SI wheels with Michelin Pilot EXALTO PE2 tires, HFP struts & springs.

Name:  IMG_0276.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  181.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  138.3 KB

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
i can trade my 09 civic and $1,389 for it
Is that a typo? I sure hope you meant 11,389. If not, that's not something you should ever consider. I got 12k for my 09 Fit in trade. I have to believe you made a typo there.

Quick Reply: hmm should i do it?