2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRM Intake + HKS Hi-Power combo review

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
PRM Intake + HKS Hi-Power combo review. Now w/pics@!

Hey yall! i just finished installing the prm intake and the hks exhaust. just wanted to give a review on the combo since it might be useful info for some looking into either one of the bolt-ons, or both.

i actually installed the hks exhaust before the intake because the intake came later. the exhaust was a cinch to install, took me 20min to install with a jack and jack stand. i was also shocked at how light the stock muffler was!

my ge with just the exhaust installed made some sexy low tone notes from bottom rpms and it growls once vtec engages. i didnt really know when vtec engaged until i installed the exhaust. the exhaust note begins to shift from a low purr to a loud growl (if that makes any sense) right around 3300?3500? rpms.

the exhaust does not drone at highway speeds and i think it has gotten louder since i have installed it. im really diggin the look and sounds of the hks.

the prm intake came today and i installed it in about 45min taking my time and leisurely lining up all the hose clamps and etc. the instructions are straight forward and has nothing to get confused over.

first ride with both the intake and exhaust is kind of loud compared to stock. i think the intake makes more noise/is louder than the exhaust. it could also be that the intake is like right in front of me behind the firewall.

the dramatic differences ive noticed with the intake installed is the throttle response, wow does this thing act quick to pedal pressure! it yowls on full throttle into vtec. it feels and sounds like the car's breathing better and less restricted. the Fit does feel faster and a bit more torquey.

the sounds it makes now is much better than the diesel sounding engine noise coming from under the hood and behind the dash.

in conclusion i would recommend both the PRM intake and the HKS Hi-Power exhaust. the quality and overall increase in sexiness is J.I.N approved. i was also looking at a different set-up e.g. T1R B-max Carbon intake/Spoon sports N1 exhaust before choosing the currently installed.
(AJR didnt have the intake in stock when the 50% off sale was on & i personally dont like the spoon's rolled back exhaust tip).

Updated! Now w/Pics! Sorry Ichi is so dirty i just washed him and the storm hit so rain and dirt everywhere.
empty ass engine bay

MmmMm Hi-powered

front

back

Last edited by JJIN; 05-25-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Nice review man. Is your GE8 AT or MT?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
Nice review man. Is your GE8 AT or MT?
mines an AT.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Nice! I have the PRM with the T1R 50S axle back, I totally agree the intake is louder than my muffler too haha. Deff recommend both! I reset my ecu after and noticed a little bump in torque compared to stock..next is b-pipe time

Old 01-19-2010, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
pics like i promised...

Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by j_paul
... I reset my ecu after and noticed a little bump in torque compared to stock...
Rookie here. How did you reset your ECU?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
Rookie here. How did you reset your ECU?
Disconnect battery

I'm sure that setup sounds nice!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
yep for the ECU shiz, i started the car, let it warm up, made sure everything was off (lights, stereo, inside fan), turned the engine off. Disconnected negative bat. cable, pressed on the brakes. Hooked up negative bat. cable, started engine and let it idle for ten mins, don't rev tho turn it off and then drive

Not sure how much of that is necessary but from what I've read that's the way to do it, woot! Anyone happen to have the T1R b-pipe for the GE?

Old 01-20-2010, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
IMO should only buy them for the sound. They do sound nice. Performance gains are likely marginal.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I also have the PRM and the HKS on a white sport. It's a nice combo! I am probably trading the fit in for a CR-Z this summer, and the PRM intake might even work on it, so that'll be interesting to see.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
vid clip please!!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mole177
vid clip please!!
sure I'll try and get some vids and sound clips along with it.

P.s. I really like you sig shot on angeles crest at sunset. I go to that same turnout to see the city lights and stars to relax.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
completely agree on the review. I have the same combo. what I would like to add is that with the HKS exhaust alone u do lose a bit of torgue on the low range that it is noticeable. After the PRM install, that negative effect is neutralized and the car rides smoother and makes a nice noise. It gets really loud after 4K. Before that it is louder than stock obviously but the sound is enjoyable.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:00 PM
It looks great in your car with rear diffuser. My GD base seems to hang low a bit from a distance, and it make it look huge. i can't complain with the sound though it's like running a v8.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
i've been on that same setup for awhile now and recently added a throttle controller. in SP7 (SP = Sport?) the accelerator pedal is pretty sensitive and the car is definitely a lot more fun to drive vs bone stock. A combination of all 3 (intake + exhaust + throttle controller) will sure add a lot of fun factor to the GE Fit. Just waiting for winter to pass for some light weight wheels + grippy tires.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Thumbs up SRI PRM vs. K&N GE8 MT Sport

Can someone help me make my decision on which SRI I should purchase?
I would like to know the the HP and Torque for the PRM with out any other modifacations.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
^ should be around 5 to 7 hp in the very upper RPM range. If you are concerned with any gain under 5K rpm, it will be very minimal, probably around 1 to 2 hp at max.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:20 AM
Sorry, but you won't see any noticeable gains by changing out the stock airbox for an intake.

Your butt dyno fools you

Old 01-24-2010, 03:59 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Sorry, but you won't see any noticeable gains by changing out the stock airbox for an intake.

Your butt dyno fools you
You won't see any noticeable gains, but you can feel them. I know I did when I put a SRI in place of the oem box.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Sorry, but you won't see any noticeable gains by changing out the stock airbox for an intake.(
Sorry, IB... this isn't your scooter the OP is talking about!

Quick Reply: PRM Intake + HKS Hi-Power combo review