2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Aftermarket Brakes?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Aftermarket Brakes?

So, when I had my 15k maintenance done last year, they needed to change my brake pads and turn the rotors!

I have a feeling that when I go in again for my oil change coming up (at 30% now) that they will try to get me again.

Has anyone else had similar experience with the brakes wearing out quickly? Could it be my driving habits?

Any aftermarket brakes that will last longer?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
i think that dealer tried to rip you off.. I work at a honda dealer and i havent seen one fit with a brake job yet. 09 and up*

Old 02-03-2010, 03:58 PM
hey mike... did u get a chance to look at ur "used up" brake pads? im at 17k n my pads still have a lot of beef on them... n i take some spirited drives every once in awhile...

as for driving habits.. everyone drives different tho... i doubt ur going to gmr everyday.... lol

Old 02-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Well that one time at GMR with the fit the rotors got red hot. I was aggressively accelerating out of corners and hard braking into the turns.

They feel fine though so we will see what happens when I take it in.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
What about those brakepads????

Seriously though, does anyone have any brands to recommend for this car?

I have an 09 with 32k and I need to change the pads....maybe replace the rotor (since I hate cutting them)

used to buy my pads at pep boys but would rather hear what you all recommend...thanks!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 PM
i love college
my brakes are fine.. and i've gone to 2 track days with the stocks. im at 16k with my gd

Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm starting to believe more and more that we were ripped off lol.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikejet
I'm starting to believe more and more that we were ripped off lol.
That could be the case...or your dealer was being VERY conservative.

On my GD the dealer replaced my front pads at 35,000 km (~21,750 mi). At that point in time my car hadn't tasted any trackdays yet, just daily city driving. I didn't ask for it but they said inspection was done every 40,000 km, so they'd just replace them when the friction material was too thin.

When I went home I took the old pads with me and checked their thickness against the Electronic Shop Manual. Lo and behold - they weren't anywhere close to the service limit.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
No experience with the Fit yet, but on another car I switched from stock to Akebono ceramic pads and have been happy with them for 3 years and many miles.
Got them from the Tire Rack.

Flea

Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Lack of parts on Tirerack for 09 sports

Anyway to get around this....do 08 brakes fit 09 calipers?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
If I can fit 08 parts on an 09 I am looking at the following:

2 centric premium rotors

akebono street performance pads

total for parts $131....plus shipping....then gotta find a spot to put them on for me...

but overall its gotta be cheaper than the $289 the dealer wants to put new oem pads and turn my rotors (which in my opinion are trash if they wear out and warp in 32k )

What do you all think?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
If you don't want to get ripped off by mechanics, then the best thing is to learn about your car and how to maintain it. Or at least be able to inspect it. Why are you turning rotors? Can you see score marks? Do you feel pedal pulsations? If you have no problems, then you don't have to turn the rotors. Just put in new pads and re-bed them.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
Rotors

Thanks. I usually do check for score marks but have been feeling light pulsations this week.

I have followed other threads and have seen/read that some fit owners have extremely uneven pad wear and that generally the braking distance, and power weren't as good as previous cars.

I kinda feel the stock pads and rotors aren't up to par for the driving I've been giving it and was thinking of upgrading to some decent (not autozone) pads and rotors. I usually do alot of maintaining of the car myself, but I've always had a hard time doing the brakes. If there was a DIY I would probably like to give it another shot myself and really save up for when I have to replace those tires ($$$$).

Thanks for all the replies, hopefully there are more on the way. Peace

Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
I kinda feel the stock pads and rotors aren't up to par for the driving I've been giving it
Bingo

You and the original poster should look around autocross forums. Those driving conditions are pretty close to street-spirited or "crappy" (highway tailgaters, stop light challengers, and brake riders) conditions.

Remember that moving to a higher power pad usually means sacrifices, either in noise or brake dust, unless you want to pay more money. When I did my research I found that the Hawk Ceramic were a good compromise. Reviews said they were a little better than stock (stock RX-8, which was good to begin with), and had a little less dust and noise than stock.

It's generally a good idea to turn your rotors even if they feel fine to you right now. Uneven wear begins long before you can detect any pulsation, and what makes it worse is that the pulsation slowly sets in so you get used to it over time.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Crappy Driving

I agree that rotors should probably be turned but for the price most charge for the labor involved in that, wouldnt it be more effective to buy new rotors? something Zinc coated ($30 on tirerack)

As for my driving, I live in NJ, so all driving is spirited (ie. avoiding dumptrucks dropping crap all over parkway, getting the hell out of dodge when the person in front of you is swerving because of texting, driving briskly because there are fit haters all over the road showing us no respect....

Thanks for the replies, I will be stopping by some auto shops this afternoon to get some labor quotes.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm doing things at the dealer because I don't want them to have any excuse to not cover something that should be covered by the warranty.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
I'm doing things at the dealer because I don't want them to have any excuse to not cover something that should be covered by the warranty.
That's exactly what they want you to do and that's why they're going to "trick" you to change your brakes earlier than needed. They're looking for any way to make profit.

You should know that brakes aren't going to be a warranty item anyway so you don't need to get the brakes done at the dealer.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
So, when I had my 15k maintenance done last year, they needed to change my brake pads and turn the rotors!

I have a feeling that when I go in again for my oil change coming up (at 30% now) that they will try to get me again.

Has anyone else had similar experience with the brakes wearing out quickly? Could it be my driving habits?

Any aftermarket brakes that will last longer?

You were conned nless you drive around with your foot on the brake pedal.; next time check your pads yourself visually before going to shop. Even with race track severe duty we got more than 20k miles.

Hawk and Performance Friction pads last much longer and do offer improved stopping.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Opening calipers?

Does anyone know to how change the pads?

I ask since I know my fluid is ok, just that I drive too much (32k in 1 yr)

I tried changing pads on my older honda but gave up cuz I couldnt figure out the calipers.

Is there a DIY....I'll be checking utube.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Santiad
Does anyone know to how change the pads?

I ask since I know my fluid is ok, just that I drive too much (32k in 1 yr)

I tried changing pads on my older honda but gave up cuz I couldnt figure out the calipers.

Is there a DIY....I'll be checking utube.
Was your problem pushing "IN" the piston on the caliper? If so, leave your old pad that is against the piston, take the cap off your brake resovoir bottle get a C clamp and push the piston in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Brakes?