2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

please help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:21 PM
please help me decide

Hello everyone. Thanks for having me on the forum. I have a little situation that I need help with. I have the option to purchase a brand new fit with manual trans(the only one in a 7 state radius) but the color would not be my 1st or even 3rd choice. on the other hand, I also have the option to purchase an a/t fit with my number one color choice(which isn't so hard to find with a/t). So my ques is this; knowing that a m/t fit is kind of a rare bird, Would you rather have a m/t fit with a color you didnt like or an a/t fit in your favorite color? I ask this in light of the supposed fun factor increase with a manual trans. Unfortunately, I can't test drive the m/t fit because its in the middle of the ocean somewhere coming from Japan. Sorry if this is a stupid ques but I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

if the a/t is the fit sport model, you cant go wrong with it. plenty of fun factor with the paddle shifters.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah, it's a sport model>

Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
I personally like the MT. The car equipped that way is lighter faster and more fuel efficient and to me more fun to drive.
That said it is a little noisier at 80 and above because of gear ratio and if you are in bumper to bumper traffic A LOT, that is when to some folks a MT gets old. I do not mind the MT in heavy traffic myself, the clutch is low effort and honda builds a very nice shifting tranny.

so what are the color choices??????????

Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
I got an a/t and wish I would've got an m/t. That being said, I love my fit and it's just fine as an a/t.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:55 PM
the m/t is milano red. I already put a deposit down on it but I'm second guessing myself. I will say that milano red is a beautiful color but it looks like it would require LOTS of care to keep looking nice. My first color choice, interestingly, is orange revolution. it is different but the more I look at it the cooler I think it is and it looks like it would wear well. The red one inside at my local showroom looked perfect from about 10 feet away, but up close it had swirl marks galore and the smallest blemish stood out like a sore thumb.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Thumbs up Lots of words

First: What year, make, model, trim level, engine and transmission are you driving now? If you don't know two or more of the answers without research I recommend the auto in your fav color in advance

Much more seriously, generally I like a manual transmission better than an automatic. I have driven GDs in both and have no preference, both feel eager and sharp. In the GE I have driven both and prefer the auto. I might be able to get used to it but the throttle manipulation in the drive-by-wire on a stock GE manual trans feels weird to me. A throttle controller might also help.

However, my auto is rarely in the wrong gear when I need it to work for me, shifts smoothly in most circumstances and has the paddles if I want them. Under full throttle acceleration the manual is certainly faster but the auto feels quick enough most of the time. I traded a mildly modded Mitsu Mirage with a 5-speed that I loved; I love my AT Sport in Blue Sensation Pearl more than any car I've ever owned. I even bought accessories

I do not think the auto will last as long in the very long run so if you plan on owning your Fit 200k miles or more the manual will cost you less both in maintenance and repairs. In the shorter term service your auto every 30k or so with Honda fluid and it will run happily.

I'd search cars.com or any other local resources for a manual Fit to drive before you take the plunge. I don't think either would be a mistake but all these comments are OUR opinions.

Just get one soon before the government finds out how fun Fits are and bans them.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 PM
i went to the dark side and bought a slushbox

I have never intentionally bought an A/T car before my Fit. I always made the choice for M/T for reasons of fuel economy and fun. I do the vast majority of my driving on city streets and finally had to 'fess up that I was getting lazy at shifting properly and probably wasn't getting the most out of the stick. I also wanted a car that my significant other could drive without me teaching her stick. I love the Sport with the option of paddle shifting, altho I rarely use it. The Honda A/T seems to have a really nice tight torque converter and it always seems ready to do my bidding, and I like it. The lazier highway cruise RPM is a benefit. It also allows me to hold hands with my SO without having to let go to shift.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
I personally like the MT. The car equipped that way is lighter faster and more fuel efficient and to me more fun to drive.
That said it is a little noisier at 80 and above because of gear ratio and if you are in bumper to bumper traffic A LOT, that is when to some folks a MT gets old. I do not mind the MT in heavy traffic myself, the clutch is low effort and honda builds a very nice shifting tranny.

so what are the color choices??????????
I would say the MT is noticeably nosier at more like 70mph..

Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Decisions, decisions. Everybody else has laid out the pros and cons of MT vs AT. The only thing I will add is that paint can be changed; transmission can't. You don't say if the MT you have found is base or sport; there are a lot of advantages to the sport (although some people disagree about this).

Personally, I love the paddle shifters, and drive in sport mode most of the time. Low revs and reasonably quiet on the highway, but gas mileage isn't as good as MT. I haven't driven a MT Fit, so I can't compare, but performance with the Sport AT is more than adequate. It's not a rocket, but no Fit is.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
you guys are great. thanks for the responses. What it boils down to is I'm a 42 yr old dad trying to hold on to his youth. The Fit strikes me as a cool little car that happens to be affordable and practical. Whats your opinion regarding milano red vs. orange revolution? Just curious.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
I'd rather drive the pukiest color MT Fit than the most luscious color AT Fit. But that's just me and I'm not judging you or anyone else for liking the AT. However, it seems to me that a MT is your first choice and I think you may regret your decision if you go with AT. This is one of personal things and nobody can tell you the right choice. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Its a Sport

Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by crna1
you guys are great. thanks for the responses. What it boils down to is I'm a 42 yr old dad trying to hold on to his youth. The Fit strikes me as a cool little car that happens to be affordable and practical. Whats your opinion regarding milano red vs. orange revolution? Just curious.
I'm a 38 year old dad of four. Your youth is yours, Fit or Aveo .

If you keep it forever get your orange. If you only plan to keep it a few years get the red. The orange will not trade quite as well.

The red will be hotter, depending on your clime that can be a plus or minus.

FWIW

Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Speaking about an automatic- I had a chance of getting my Fit right off the showroom floor. It was tidewater blue and naturally, they wanted to sell me that one. Hands down, I wanted silver but they didn't have one. They could get me one, but they didn't have one on the lot. The day I went in to purchase I had to wait about a half hour to sit with my salesman. In that time, I tried my damnest to like that TWB color. I looked at it close up. I looked at it far away. I looked and looked. Paced and paced contemplating and looking. I can't remember a time I've ever contemplated a color so hard. I drove my GF up a wall about it. I finally said screw this- I just can't get to liking this color. It looks horrible. It's a girl color to me. It's just not what I want and I'm not paying 18 grand only to settle on something I'm not gonna like seeing- every time I look at it. I stuck to my guns and got my silver and when they pulled it into the prep bay and I saw MY Fit for the first time, I knew I made the right desicion.

Manual VS auto is something you'll have to decide how important it is to you. That truly is a consideration. But just as important is color, imo. I can't imagine not being happy EVERY time I look at my car.

What you choose is up to you. I'll only pass along that I think the auto is great. Love the paddle shifters. Will it suffice? It depends on how bent you are about driving manual.

Dan

Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
I drive on cruise control alot. So a Sport is the only way for me. I live in a hilly area, so shifting alot is a way of life for me. Shifting alot with cruise control sucks, so automatic is the only way to go for me. Clutches on cars used to be an easy repair, not anymore, so automatic is the only way to go for me. As long as a car looks OK color is of little importance for me. When I bought my Fit (June '06) they were few and far between so I wasn't picky about color. That's how I decided. You must choose for yourself.

Last edited by spreadhead; 02-05-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member

Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
If you're planning on keeping it for a long time, get the MT if you really want it, otherwise if you plan to sell it after a couple years, rare or not, you will have a hell of a time selling it since most people nowadays can't drive MT(sad, I know) so it might be tough selling it amongst the the general public for a good price.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Banned
get neither of them........buy one that's exactly how you want it......believe rushing into buying a car is a terrible thing....i've done it five times and regretted it every time.....

Old 02-06-2010, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
I would say the MT is noticeably nosier at more like 70mph..
No way my sister in law has an AT that I drive perodically

Quick Reply: please help me decide