2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What's up with these tails?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
What's up with these tails?

Ok, so I was Googling for GE8 mods (and ideas), and came upon this image... apparently taken from some kind of show:

So, what's up with the tail light? You can tell they're either USDM tails or JDM LEDs (you can still make out the design/lines of the normal taillight)... either way they seem to have some kind of reflective surface.

I LOVE these tails. It almost looks as if there is a layer or cover of some kind over the stock tails... like vinyl or a dark, reflective shade cover over them.

Anyone know how they did that? Can they be purchased that way? I couldn't find anything even remotely like those on the web.

Gotta' either have those tail lights, or make mine look like those!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
First of all, that car is hot. Very nice Mugen setup. Love the wheels with the oem red center caps. I think the tails are the JDM RS LED's. They look different because of the lighting.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Looks like the pic is a HDR (high dynamic range) photograph, which would make something look more reflective.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
First of all, that car is hot. Very nice Mugen setup. Love the wheels with the oem red center caps. I think the tails are the JDM RS LED's. They look different because of the lighting.
Yeah, bro... that's pretty darned hot... I like the entire ride. (wouldn't mind mine looking anything remotely close to that when I'm done ) Also looks like it has either 17", possibly even 18" wheels.

Ahh, but those tails, whatever the deal, are very cool-looking. They kinda' have that reflective space helmet visor (shuttle astronaut helmet) quality to them. I could be wrong, but I don't think the surrounding lighting alone is causing that much of a reflection. Again though, I could very well be wrong.

But yes, VERY cool ride.

Thanks, man.

Last edited by annunC8; 02-09-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by deleonl1
Looks like the pic is a HDR (high dynamic range) photograph, which would make something look more reflective.
Nah, that's not the result of HDR imaging. The rest of the image is normal. Matter of fact, I cropped the image a bit to get rid of surrounding distractions and cut file size without having to sacrifice quality. If anything, it's not that great of an image to begin with. Not bad, but not show "on-the-spot" (live) quality.

HDR imaging would not achieve that effect on images of excellent quality... much less on less-than-perfect images.

BTW, not slamming the photographer. Photography-wise it's a very nice photo... almost has that film effect. I was only commenting on the actual saved quality of the digital image. If nothing else, looks like a jpeg that's been saved several times... albeit in a higher quality jpeg [save] setting.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
I was thinking about picking a set of these up! I just don't like the round reflector! If you decide to get a set see if the seller would cut a deal for buying 2 set's at the same time! I'm in for a pair!