2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Do you use your steering wheel lock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Do you use your steering wheel lock?

I know this may seem random, but I'm finally moving out of my parents house in the suburbs into a more urban (not so good part of town) environment in Sacramento. It just got me thinking of all the things I take for granted living in a middle class area.

I'm currently conditioning myself to use the steering wheel lock, which I didn't even know existed, hiding my personal belongings from plain sight, etc. I also plan to invest in lojack and some wheel locks.

Again, to some of you, this is probably implanted in your brains so much that this is second nature, but I come from a place where people don't lock their doors and leave the engine running while going to starbucks and leave their garage door open at night (I still don't know why they do that)!!!

Is there anything else you guys might do to make your Hondas less stealable?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
most of my friends cars get stolen when they got rims on...even stockies! try steelies w/o hub caps! hope this helps! n also try a better car alarm system

Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Huh, I didn't know the steering wheel locked either. I tried once a while back and figured it just didn't lock. I used to use the steering wheel lock bar that will lock your whole steering wheel in place and make the car undrivable. Other than that, Lojack and some luck.

Dan

Old 02-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Huh, I didn't know the steering wheel locked either. I tried once a while back and figured it just didn't lock. I used to use the steering wheel lock bar that will lock your whole steering wheel in place and make the car undrivable. Other than that, Lojack and some luck.

Dan
Hondas and Toyotas are wierd...you have to turn the stearing wheel half a rotation while other manufacturers like BMW require you only to turn a smidge to engage the lock.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
Steering wheel lock goes back at least to my 1991 Accord. It will rarely engage unless you make a point of it. I actually have not used it on the Fit because it's garaged but I always assumed it had one as well.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
I don't see why the steering lock would need to be engaged. I mean, if someone is stealing your car without the key, they won't go far before they turn the wheel and it locks.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
If it's the sport model I'd definitely add good wheel locks, perhaps even two sets, each from a different manufacturer (I have the OEMs and a Gorilla set on mine). I'd also get in the habit of leaving nothing in the car, and of making this clear by leaving the lower glovebox open and the rear seats folded down. It's a pain at first, but once you get used to living this way you'll find it's workable--and your car is never cluttered up.

I don't bother with the Club on this car, as the ignition lock-out seems pretty good, and as far as I know the kids aren't as interested in the Fits as they are in, for example, older Civics (but they do want your sport wheels, so beware).

Old 02-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
your wheels will be stolen first before your steering wheel.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
-dont leave loose change in the cup holders, in fact just dont leave anything in the car when you are getting out.
-modded stereo (especially double din) prone to get jacked or your car broken into
-no portable gps
-locking gas cap
-pre-remove your "H" honda emblem if you dont want pry mark/damage (youre going to get jacked anyways, might as well remove them yourself)
-wheel locks for sure, 2 different sets recommended like some already posted
-best alarm you can afford, something with a keyfob pager so youll know when someone is molesting it.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
I already thought of that well before moving away from my parent's house

Manual Transmission. Yes I do get that it's not that hard to kick it into neutral, but even if you managed to get my key not everyone knows how to work a stick shift. (and a locking gas cap and wheel locks help!)

Old 02-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Lojack ftw. It lowers your insurance costs too

I didn't know the steering wheel locked lol

Old 02-26-2010, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
I don't see why the steering lock would need to be engaged. I mean, if someone is stealing your car without the key, they won't go far before they turn the wheel and it locks.
You're right. I had a senior moment there.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Sometimes I lock my car. Usually not. :shrug:

Old 02-26-2010, 11:06 PM
i have an alarm lojack and all four lugz lock my alarm has gone off many times lol i work nights and have to drive to my patents house so i go to palmdale lancaster indio downtown la and my fit has never been broken into or has had anything stolen but deffently get the alarm and locking lugz

Old 02-27-2010, 07:32 PM
how would you get the steering wheel to lock? i messed up my parents power steering when i turned the wheel with the car off in their 05 accord...dont want to repeat that...

Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Daemione
Sometimes I lock my car. Usually not. :shrug:
well ur from Connecticut, nuff said. I used to live there btw. Now that's a place where you dont have to worry about gangbangers unless you live in New Haven, Bridgeport, or Hartford lol.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by SleepyJonDu
how would you get the steering wheel to lock? i messed up my parents power steering when i turned the wheel with the car off in their 05 accord...dont want to repeat that...
You didn't mess up their steering. I was messing around with my mom's car when I was 16 and I was like o snap the wheel is stuck what do i do??!!. What you're supposed to do is put the key in, tug the wheel while turning the key.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by mtunofun
You didn't mess up their steering. I was messing around with my mom's car when I was 16 and I was like o snap the wheel is stuck what do i do??!!. What you're supposed to do is put the key in, tug the wheel while turning the key.
oh, alright, thanks, so i just turn the wheel after taking the key out and it will lock?

Old 02-27-2010, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SleepyJonDu
oh, alright, thanks, so i just turn the wheel after taking the key out and it will lock?
Yes, but as someone mentioned already, you don't even have to do that because if somebody tries to steer the car without the key in it, it will lock when the wheel turns to a certain point anyway. Once it locks, you need to insert key in ignition and turn wheel slightly clockwise (IIRC) in order to turn key. Key will not turn in ignition until you release it in this way with the steering wheel. That's that's the way it works on my '91 Accord. Haven't tried it on the Fit yet but I assume it's the same.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
When I bought my '07 from the dealer, it already had the LoJack transmitter installed, just not activated. If I wanted the system active, I would've needed to contact LoJack and have them enable it. (At least, this is the information the LoJack rep told me when I called).

I don't remember getting the same information when I bought my '09...

Quick Reply: Do you use your steering wheel lock?