2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Radio Console

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Removing Radio Console

I'm sure a lot of you on here has replaced your radio unit. My question is how do you remove the radio console cover. I'm thinking of either painting it or wrapping it in CF. From just looking at it and trying to pry it off, it seems stuck on there pretty good.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 PM
i wanna know too i plane on making mine blue i have no idia i mihgt mess around this weekend to try it suscribed...

Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
let me know if u get it off, thanks.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Here ya' go!

Originally Posted by blackvitzrs
I'm sure a lot of you on here has replaced your radio unit. My question is how do you remove the radio console cover. I'm thinking of either painting it or wrapping it in CF. From just looking at it and trying to pry it off, it seems stuck on there pretty good.
Hey, there are several posts on these forums, and I can't remember exactly where they are... but check this out:

http://www.installer.com/pdf/99-7877s.pdf

If you can't get it out after viewing the above link, then please, pay someone else to do it!

Be careful... use a cloth or something around whatever you're going to use to pry the console and any other panels off, or you WILL nick, scrape, scratch and possibly break the crap out of your dash and console... permanent cosmetic damage!

The reason you can't pry it off easy is because it doesn't come off easy. It will seem as though you're going to break something, but if you pry in the proper place to get started you only need give it a good tug. I would start by opening the glovebox and inserting your pry mechanism under the edge of the audio surround (console) there... you'll see what I mean when you look at it. (the directions I linked to show what I'm talking about, of course)

Take your time, tug hard once the clips start loosening and/or popping out, and it will come right out for you. Also pay attention to where some of your clips go when you pop out the unit. I understand a few of them come off and will fall down on your floorboard, console, or can fall down under where the unit sits... inside your dash console. It's ok if they do... just pay attention and watch/look for them. They're not expensive if you lose track of one anyway.

Good luck!

BTW, I would lightly sand and/or prime the audio surround before I painted if I were you. Personally, I would do both. But roughing it up with fine grain paper is the very least you should do. I only say this because I've been there and done that with quite a few cars myself.

Then again, you probably already know the above.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Here are some more instructions courtesy College Hills Honda

http://collegehillshonda.com/instruc...usbadapter.pdf

Old 02-27-2010, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by akmccue
Here are some more instructions courtesy College Hills Honda

http://collegehillshonda.com/instruc...usbadapter.pdf
Great! I was looking for that one but couldn't find it. I knew I remembered either CHH or Bernardi having removal instructions as well.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
does anyone know if the Metra radio housing kit is the same as the oem honda with Navi kit?
cause it looks like the metra comes with a sleve that makes your headunit slide into the console, where as the oem honda navi is most likely bolted on the bracket
i ask this cause i rather bolt my headunit in, makes it harder for thieves to take it out

Old 02-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Is this the same method for the 2008 Honda Fit?