2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

need help for fog light

Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
need help for fog light

my car is not fit but it's ge8 as well (Australian mode)
i got a set of fog light from aftermarket and i am stuck at installation.
the switch harness should be connected correctly but the switch light is not on when i start the car( the fog light harness hasn't connected with fog light)
i need a hand from all of you and if you need to look at the honda's instruction, i will upload later)
lots of thanks ~

Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ryan1222
my car is not fit but it's ge8 as well (Australian mode)
i got a set of fog light from aftermarket and i am stuck at installation.
the switch harness should be connected correctly but the switch light is not on when i start the car( the fog light harness hasn't connected with fog light)
i need a hand from all of you and if you need to look at the honda's instruction, i will upload later)
lots of thanks ~
What did you mean by "the switch light is not on when i start the car"? All switch lights will not light up until you turn on the parking lights or headlights? Otherwise, you have to connect to DRL or dash light. The switch light of fog lights should connect to parking light circuit.

I hope I understood your question.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by FITMugen
What did you mean by "the switch light is not on when i start the car"? All switch lights will not light up until you turn on the parking lights or headlights? Otherwise, you have to connect to DRL or dash light. The switch light of fog lights should connect to parking light circuit.

I hope I understood your question.
it's because the fog light switch is not with the headlight switch. it is separated on the FUSE LID.
if you switch on the fog light, the light on the switch must be on.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
it's because the fog light switch is not with the headlight switch. it is separated on the FUSE LID.
if you switch on the fog light, the light on the switch must be on.
Yes, it is true. However, even you turn on the fog light switch but the fog lights will not on until you turn on the headlights or parking lights. Then you will see the light in the fog light switch. I have both foglight switch on the multi-function switch and ambient light switch. See picture below. I cannot turn the ambient lights until I turn on the parking lights or headlights.

Name:  VSA.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  32.8 KB

Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by FITMugen
Yes, it is true. However, even you turn on the fog light switch but the fog lights will not on until you turn on the headlights or parking lights. Then you will see the light in the fog light switch. I have both foglight switch on the multi-function switch and ambient light switch. See picture below. I cannot turn the ambient lights until I turn on the parking lights or headlights.

That's my problem now. Even I turn on the headlight, the light in the switch is still not on. is the switch harness possilbe incorrect ? beside I haven't finished the foglight harness Which locate near front bumper

Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
That's my problem now. Even I turn on the headlight, the light in the switch is still not on. is the switch harness possilbe incorrect ? beside I haven't finished the foglight harness Which locate near front bumper
Why not you completed the entire fog light circuit? If your fog lights are on when you turn on the switch, the light on the fog light switch might be on. If it is not, you have to upload your fog light circuit so I can take a look what went wrong.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 AM
If your fog lights are on when you turn on the switch, the light on the fog light switch might be on<- what about i just install the switch harness. is the light on the switch possible to be on?
why i am doing this because i got a mugen style bumper and the original mode doesnt have the fog light switch and the bulb of fog light is h3. at this moment, i have to install the switch harness which locate at interior.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 AM
i know my word is not clear and it's how to understand why i am doing this. dont worry
i upload the instruction and the pics
thanks for your help
this is the switch harness from aftermarket
i didnt connect the fog light harness

and the 1 pin connector is under the blue plug connector

Last edited by ryan1222; 03-05-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 AM
fuse box
fog light harness

Old 03-05-2010, 11:45 AM
DSC_0254.jpg?t=12678070708 pin plug connect
DSC_0256.jpg?t=1267807156
1 PIN CONNECTOR
DSC_0259.jpg?t=1267807225
GROUND I used the tape because i will pull out

DSC_0257.jpg?t=1267807382
DSC_0260.jpg?t=1267807523
i connected all of the wire which is required but the light on the fog light still doesnt work...

Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
If your fog lights are on when you turn on the switch, the light on the fog light switch might be on<- what about i just install the switch harness. is the light on the switch possible to be on?
why i am doing this because i got a mugen style bumper and the original mode doesnt have the fog light switch and the bulb of fog light is h3. at this moment, i have to install the switch harness which locate at interior.
Base on your image below, if you connect the harness and turn on the switch. you should be able to measure the voltage of the outputs from the relay and switch light should be on.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
8 pin plug connect

1 PIN CONNECTOR

GROUND I used the tape because i will pull out

i connected all of the wire which is required but the light on the fog light still doesnt work...
Did the fog lights on when you turn on the switch?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
you should be able to measure the voltage of the outputs from the relay <- how can i do that ??
Did the fog lights on when you turn on the switch? <- no it doesnt that's why i am getting stuck

is it possible that the fog light switch doesnt connect?

Last edited by ryan1222; 03-05-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
I believe that ground on the light harness that you have taped up to the body needs to be grounded to the body for the circuit in the relay to complete and therefore turn on your foglights and switch indicator light. Because that 8-pin gray connector that goes into the fuse box carries only the +12v side of things on those two wires.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Zalthras
I believe that ground on the light harness that you have taped up to the body needs to be grounded to the body for the circuit in the relay to complete and therefore turn on your foglights and switch indicator light. Because that 8-pin gray connector that goes into the fuse box carries only the +12v side of things on those two wires.

Hope that helps.
isnt' it same ?? becoz of the ground wire on the fog light has touched the body which can conduct.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Zalthras

Hope that helps.
isnt' it same ?? becoz of the ground wire on the fog light has touched the body which can conduct.
but i still try first. thanks so much

Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM
I have a related question. My dealer can't find a part number for the fog light switch shown in these pictures. Anyone have this number? Thanks!!! gm.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gmayden
i have a related question. My dealer can't find a part number for the fog light switch shown in these pictures. Anyone have this number? Thanks!!! Gm.
08v31-sma-0m035

Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Super, thanks much for the quick posting! I'll be ordering it tomorrow! Great car, great forum!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Funny, I look on line and see the switch is $15. I call my dealer, he's out but wants $20. I call 2 other dealers in town and the switch is $15 but as the last dealer said, there are 4 of them in the US, all in a CA shipping center! I go on line and look. They are all $11 to 13, plus $9 to 12 to ship! So I called my dealer back, and he will match the $15 and it will be here on Wed! I love fun and games! Again, thanks for the info!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help for fog light