2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Many threads on the manual: Here's mine:

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Many threads on the manual: Here's mine:

Hi once again. Had an '09 Sport Navi Auto . . . Bored with the transmission. Old 911 guy here; BMW's - always with manual. Drove the 5 speed Sport '10 model. Drove out with it. Not sure about the complaints on this transmission. Truly a perfect feel . . and a great sound to the engine. I've had the car for a bit more than 1,000 miles. . .I cannot remember owning a car that is as rigid, as tight, and as fun to drive. Honda's manual transmissions are up there with the best German cars. Perhaps more fun and tossable though. Highly recommend. Only thing I miss (and had to come to terms with) was the absence, non-availability of traction. Strictly bundled with the navi . . which is not available with the manual. My two pennies!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Only problem with the manual is that the car revs to almost 3.8 -> 4K when at freeway speeds and drones. The AT has higher gearing for 5th, and also gets better gas mileage because of it.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
That is what I have found. I used to drive manuals up until the Fit, not because I wanted the change, but the old left knee was telling me "it's not on anymore, son!" So I got the Sport with the paddle shifts. Almost as much fun as "stirring my own". Though I do find myself on occasion finding the left leg reaching for the clutch while the right is going for the brake... & both hitting the brake!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
imo the GE cruises quite quietly on the fwy? not my car though it's my friends so i dunno if the noise become noticeable after a while.

plus driving manual just makes the whole experience much more engaging. I hate that laggy feeling of the torque converter when coming out of turns. My mom's BMW 330i would be soo much better if it wasnt auto

Old 03-07-2010, 07:03 PM
The manual does make the car more engaging to drive.. But the fit is my daily driver, commuter so my POV might be different.

If I need to get my driving fix in the local socal canyons, I bring out one of the queens from the garage (both manual). My EVO IX is now gone though, sold it earlier today (guy who bought it is extremely lucky, I took good care of it).

My EVO's w/ 5 speed manuals have the exact same problem as the MT fit for commute / daily driver. The RPM's are around 3.8 -> 4K between at freeway speeds and more cabin noise because of it.

Name:  OurEvos.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  150.8 KB

Last edited by funks; 03-07-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with the OP, I've found the transmission to be fantastic! It's a little high revving on the highway, but not terrible. It's design bias is for city driving, and that's where it really shines.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
And I want to make mine rev even higher at elevated speeds because I want a 4.7 FD to make it accelerate quicker than it does with the stock 4.3. And going to look into the CR-Z's tranny if the housing will be at all mateable to the L15. Gear ratios are exactly the same for 1~5, but the FD is just a 4.1, which means those with a CR-Z could most likely fit the Fit's FD into it to liven the car up a bit at the expense of some lost fuel economy. Likewise, the Fit will most likely be able to use the CR-Z FD and bump its fuel economy up slightly and drop revs in 5th.

And I haven't had any issues with the shifting in the car (but would like to stiffen it up some with the Mugen shifter or brass mounts) and this is coming from the Snisen which is known to have one of the best shifting mechanisms in all production cars.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Hi reving 5th gear - manual transmission

Only my opinion . . . (not a contentious guy here): Yep, the manual revs up staying at 3,000 rpm at 65 mph. Only a number though, as Hondas are known to come into their own at hi rev speed. This can be found throughout the Honda racing division. Just look at the S2000: It begins to show itself at 3,500 rpm. Back to the Fit: Vibration free at 4,500 rpm. So . . if one is an enthusiast, willing to sacrifice the convenience of an automatic in the city for the shear joy of integrating, being "at one" with one's vehicle - the manual, specifically in the Fit, is the way to go. I'd hold back that statement on any Toyota box; even the Mazda. Honda transmissions which come out of Japan are, IMO, perfectly weighted, clutched properly for everyday driving. No automatic, paddled or not, can match the joy the manual in the Fit delivers for anyone who enjoys driving - not a mere transport from point A to point B. Not a price thing. The precision of this box amazes me. Very satisfying.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Fully agree OTG. With the lack of power the Fit has and it not being all that light (a good 75kg reduction would of been nice) the manual is really the only proper way to enjoy this car. Now I am not saying those of you without the manual can not enjoy the drive in your car, but a manual is almost required for such a small output motor to get the most from it and not have as much drivetrain loss as presented with AT missions.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 03-08-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
^This statement is so true..

Newer GE owners wont have too much to complain but any GD auto owner must have their gripe on power. I drove a GD base and was VERY surprised.. in a not-so-good kinda way

Old 03-08-2010, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
My 3.8 v6 thunderbird did 0-60 in 10.5 sec. My 09 at fit does 0-60 in 10.9. In terms of straightline power I see no real need for more. Gotta remember, a 16 second 1/4 mile was considered REALLY fast just a few decades ago. You should never, as a driver, put yourself in a position where you need anymore power than that. For fun on the other hand, the more hp the better.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 AM
I have the Mugen shifter and knob and compared with the stock shifter (which is very good in its own right), dare I say it shifts like an S2000 shifter? Never had a car that shifts as well as this does. I've had two Civics with S2 shifters, bushing kits, weighted knobs and delrin pivots. Neither of them quite had the "snick-snick" of my Fit. Only gripes are that the shift lever could come up about 3/4" to make shifting faster, by being closer to the wheel, and as many have said the 5th gear ratio is too short for my liking. All the other gear spacing is great (albeit 1st is super short), but I feel like I'm killing my fuel economy anytime I push it past 65mph.

The car has plenty of power for a subcompact, but to be honest the car could definately use another 200cc of displacement, another 30whp and another gear. Hell, swap in the base Civic engine and call it the Fit Si. I'd trade mine in a second.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
This thread teaches me . . . .

I am learning to not be so definitive about "the perfect manual." It's the "you like apples, I prefer oranges" thing here. Amazes me that some actually find fault with the 5 speed in the Fit (2nd gen). For me, it's as though it was built around me. Ergonomically perfect and well matched to it's high reving plant. Would I want an automatic that "thinks for me?" I drive in Los Angeles traffic daily . . . and still, I'll shift for myself, thank you. Yet all of us have our own history, our own associations . . How much "work" are we willing to do for "yield?" There is no "one" best way to appreciate how we live our lives.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
^which part of Los Angeles? I work in L.A. (by walt disney concert hall) and live in san gabriel valley...and some of my friends say im crazy for buying a stick car in LA traffic...but the fit's tranny is very easy to drive.

what color is ur car?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Color:

Storm Silver. Tried to post picture . . cannot find a way!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
which dealer did you buy it from? must of been hard finding a 2010 manual huh? mine is a white sport m/t

Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OneThinkingGuy
Storm Silver. Tried to post picture . . cannot find a way!
You need post count of 20 (I believe) before you are able to post pics. I think it's a way to keep the hit-and-run spammers out of the forum.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by funks
Only problem with the manual is that the car revs to almost 3.8 -> 4K when at freeway speeds and drones. The AT has higher gearing for 5th, and also gets better gas mileage because of it.

Disagree on the better MPG w/AT. It is about throttle opening not RPM and the efficiency of a manual. Also my car does not drone at 4K.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OneThinkingGuy
Hi once again. Had an '09 Sport Navi Auto . . . Bored with the transmission. Old 911 guy here; BMW's - always with manual. Drove the 5 speed Sport '10 model. Drove out with it. Not sure about the complaints on this transmission. Truly a perfect feel . . and a great sound to the engine. I've had the car for a bit more than 1,000 miles. . .I cannot remember owning a car that is as rigid, as tight, and as fun to drive. Honda's manual transmissions are up there with the best German cars.
Could not agree more and for about $55 incl shipping you can make it even better. Bought one for my GD and one for my GE (prolly 40k miles altogether).

Great bang for the buck! The Skunk II short shift kit.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
What exactly is this droning noise? I have heard it so many times on ClubRSX, S2KI and now here. Maybe it is something I naturally tune out or something, not sure.

My 5R (gutted) had a Toda exmani and an Amuse non-resonated exhaust which later ended up being non-canister as well (seems many people stateside wouldn't be able to drive like this and not just because of law enforcement) and my Snisen had an Amuse exmani and a J's 70RS dual with cat delete and I just don't get what the drone sounds like. Maybe I just love the sound emitted from the cars I have owned. Even an older EG9 SiR I had used a 5Zigen Border304 non-resonated exhaust, Feel's exmani and cat delete and it was gutted out and it buzzed the cabin, but it didn't bother me at all.

The Fit, this thing is actually quite quiet to all of my previous Hondas and it is actually a bit boring. This will change hopefully in the very near future with some 50RS goodness from J's.

I'm sure I am in the minority in how I like my vehicles, but for me it just adds to the driving experience. A dull drive is just that DULL, might as well just take public transportation.

Damn this is completely off topic isn't it?

Quick Reply: Many threads on the manual: Here's mine: