2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fit mileage at 20k (one year).

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Fit mileage at 20k (one year).

Today I sat down and figured my mileage for the first 20,000 miles (approx. 1 full year of ownership). This is my '09 Fit Sport MT.

For the first 20,034 miles, I used 529.34 gallons of gas, for an average of 37.85 MPG. Not quite as good as 40, but it's not bad, overall. At least, this is a big enough sample to factor out most single tank variations such as weather, fill diferences, different traffic and road conditions, and give me an accurate picture of what the actual, long term, fuel economy is.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:55 AM
im about the same, 20k and a little over a year...

Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 PM
That's a nice number, congrats. My GD isn't doing that good, thanks to my garbage commute. Had the car for 15,370.8 miles, and used 473.7 gallons in that span - 32.4 mpg.

About what I figured it'd be, since long trips are about half my mileage, and I get between 36-40 on those. Then the rest is commuting which ranges between 22-28.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I've had mine for a 1 yr 2 months and only have 11k miles
Helps that I live 2 miles from work.
Good #'s Gary.
I probably only avg 33ish. Lead foot and short drives.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Ironically, I only live 5 miles from work. Most of the mileage comes from driving back and forth to Binghamton twice a week to visit my Dad, who lives in a nursing home there.

Otherwise, it's a fairly rural area here, and I consider myself a smooth driver.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Our Fit is about the same as Uncle Gary. Right at 37mpg for 22,500 miles in our first year. Almost all rural highways.

It's nice to drive for hours and put in five or six gallons and not fret over the price of gas.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
I've had mine for 5300 miles and I have never had lower than 38.9 which was once. most tanks are 40 - 41 mpg CONSISTENTLY! I mostly drive hwy and accelerate really modestly. Also I keep it at 65 and slower most of the time.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I've had mine for a 1 yr 2 months and only have 11k miles
Helps that I live 2 miles from work.
I've had my Fit for 8 months and only have 4,000 miles. Thing is, I have a company vehicle that comes home with me so I save on gas and mileage. Heck, I bought my Toyota 4x4 new in 1991 and sold it in 2003 (12 years later) with only 62,000 miles. And with the car I got after that, I only put 20,000 miles on it in 6 years of ownership.

I have been putting more miles on the Fit than my past vehicles but I reckon the Fit will last me a real long time!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
I bought mine in October of 2008. Right now the car has 27k on it. It has gone from Michigan to Texas round trip 4 times. And Texas to FL round trip. I feel great taking this car anywhere. Got about 5 oil changes on it. Nothing has gone wrong with the car. I have two giant cracks in the windshield due to rocks kicked up at me. I get 36MPG on a straight HWY tank. about 33-35 mixed.

Love the car, I enjoy driving it anywhere. I also have a 370z Nismo for sports car needs. I also carry a kayak around on the fit wherever I want to go kayaking.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Today I sat down and figured my mileage for the first 20,000 miles (approx. 1 full year of ownership). This is my '09 Fit Sport MT.

For the first 20,034 miles, I used 529.34 gallons of gas, for an average of 37.85 MPG. Not quite as good as 40, but it's not bad, overall...
Hey, Uncle G, did you notice a time when your gas mileage started getting better than when it was brand new? I hear some say that. Still, you and others seem to be getting much better gas mileage than I seem to be getting so far.

I've only had my '10 GE a few days over a week.

I love this little car... it's a blast. And this Honda engine, regardless of what some think about its speed, is one finely-tuned, nice-sounding engine for it's size. I never cared for engine noise until I started driving this car.

Now that I'm just past the recommended break-in period, I step on it just to hear the engine rev. Like I said, it's a blast!

Anyway, was just wondering if I can expect my gas mileage to get better as some miles are put on it. And no, I don't drive with it floored all of the time. Matter of fact, I have yet to completely floor it.

The next tank of gas I'm going to concentrate on getting the best fuel economy possible.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2010, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
I've had mine for 5300 miles and I have never had lower than 38.9 which was once. most tanks are 40 - 41 mpg CONSISTENTLY! I mostly drive hwy and accelerate really modestly. Also I keep it at 65 and slower most of the time.
You live in a milder climate than I do. I notice a BIG dropoff in mileage when the weather turns cold. During the summer, my fuel economy is close to 40, but winter cold drops it to 35 or so, easily.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
Hey, Uncle G, did you notice a time when your gas mileage started getting better than when it was brand new? I hear some say that. Still, you and others seem to be getting much better gas mileage than I seem to be getting so far.

I've only had my '10 GE a few days over a week.

I love this little car... it's a blast. And this Honda engine, regardless of what some think about its speed, is one finely-tuned, nice-sounding engine for it's size. I never cared for engine noise until I started driving this car.

Now that I'm just past the recommended break-in period, I step on it just to hear the engine rev. Like I said, it's a blast!

Anyway, was just wondering if I can expect my gas mileage to get better as some miles are put on it. And no, I don't drive with it floored all of the time. Matter of fact, I have yet to completely floor it.

The next tank of gas I'm going to concentrate on getting the best fuel economy possible.

Thanks
It's that "stepping on it to hear the engine rev" that'll do you in.

I never noticed my fuel economy getting better over time. In fact, I'm experiencing just the opposite, as the longer I have the car, the less I "baby" it. Driving it is just too much fun. I also noticed a slight drop in economy after the first oil change (Mobil 1 5W-20).

Old 04-03-2010, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
I don't do a lot of city driving anymore so I can't compare city/highway driving in our Fit.

Three factors that do affect my mileage:

1. Gasoline with or without ethanol.
2. Headwinds or crosswinds.
3. Using air conditioner or defroster/air conditioner.

Don't underestimate the effect of ethanol on your mileage. I pay a little more for straight 87 octane regular when I can find it. I get much better mileage. Here in the corn belt, it's not always available.

Cheers.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I know. It sure sounds and feels good though. This is my first Honda. I can't say anything for other Hondas, but I don't think the Fit's engine and transmission could have been much better, all things considered. I'm talking within the confines (not that I consider it confining... I don't) of what Honda chose for the Fit.

I don't know... for me, it's just a really nice-sounding little engine. Maybe that's just a "Honda thing".

I never noticed my fuel economy getting better over time. In fact, I'm experiencing just the opposite, as the longer I have the car, the less I "baby" it. Driving it is just too much fun. I also noticed a slight drop in economy after the first oil change (Mobil 1 5W-20).
Yeah... quite a few forum regulars claim their mileage got better after around 1500-2000 miles. Some have even claimed dramatic increases.

Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks, Uncle G.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:50 AM
ive had mine since may of 08 and have 23k miles

Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah... quite a few forum regulars claim their mileage got better after around 1500-2000 miles. Some have even claimed dramatic increases.

Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks, Uncle G.
That may be, but 1500-2000 miles was when I began to consider the engine to be "broken in", and I began to "play with it." That might have negated any mileage gains.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Ein
5 Year Member

You are aware that same grade of new oil is thicker than old oil?

It will get better.

Last edited by Ein; 04-04-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
That may be, but 1500-2000 miles was when I began to consider the engine to be "broken in", and I began to "play with it." That might have negated any mileage gains.
Oh? The manual claims only a 600 mile break-in period. At the risk of opening yet another "Engine Break-In Period" debate -- to go with the 100 other break-in debates on this forum alone -- do you consider the break-in period to be more than the Honda-recommended 600 miles?

I'm not claiming or even considering you to be wrong if you do think it should be longer than 600 miles. I'm only curious as to other opinions.

Oh and... READ THE FINE PRINT, FOLKS!

fine print: PLEASE do not start yet another engine break-in discussion... I'm only asking Uncle G's opinion on the matter! But just in case, HE started it this time!

Last edited by annunC8; 04-06-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Oh? The manual claims only a 600 mile break-in period. At the risk of opening yet another "Engine Break-In Period" debate -- to go with the 100 other break-in debates on this forum alone -- do you consider the break-in period to be more than the Honda-recommended 600 miles?

I'm not claiming or even considering you to be wrong if you do think it should be longer than 600 miles. I'm only curious as to other opinions.

Oh and... READ THE FINE PRINT, FOLKS!

fine print: PLEASE do not start yet another engine break-in discussion... I'm only asking Uncle G's opinion on the matter! But just in case, HE started it this time!
I broke the engine in by the book. I'm just saying that after the first 1000-1500 miles some of the "new to me" had worn off, so I was driving more "like normal for me", and less "let's see how much mileage I can squeeze out of THIS tankful".

No I'm NOT going to start or participate in another engine break-in discussion (where's that "beating a dead horse" smiley when you need it?).

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 04-06-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM
In most cases, from what I know, Honda engines come pre-broken in...and now I will shut up
(i read the fine print too late lol)

Quick Reply: Fit mileage at 20k (one year).