2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Is this normal?

Is it normal that the RPMs are limited to 5000 when the gear is in neutral? The other day I thought it was so strange that my RPMs kept bouncing off at 5000 but I am able to go up to 6900 in any other gear?

Is this normal for automobiles?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting. I've never revved past 5k in neutral ever. I've gone past the rev limiter many a times in gear, though.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 AM
my guess it's a safety feature so you can't damage the engine.
Why would you want to rev it to 6900 rpm in neutral in the first place?

Edit. Thought this sounded familiar. My CL-S did the same thing. Its normal....

"the engine is also prevented from exceeding 5000 rpm in neutral and park"
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/781/releases/79

another reference... Every Honda does it...
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550693

Last edited by Committobefit08; 04-19-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Oh I never knew this. I guess I dont have to upload a video on youtube anymore.

So where is the revs limited to 5000 in neutral but 6900 in any other gear? And how does the Jazz know in what gear I am anyway? I thought changing gears was purely mechanical. Technology is so amazing.

Btw I didn't rev my engine to 5000 on purpose. I was just bored one day and I was playing a little bit with the throttle. The revs goes up so fast.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
There's sensors all over the car, it knows when you put your seatbelt on it should know when you change gears. I never knew this about Hondas but I imagine with no load on the engine you could easily risk too quickly revving it up and to the redline. I imagine it could also be to protect the transmission fluid from getting burned in the torque converter while you're revving all high not going anywhere.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Keep in mind that (with the manual transmission) if you shift out of a higher gear at speed into a lower gear, you can over-rev the engine. The Rev limiter will not stop the engine from over-revving if you downshift into too low of a gear at speed.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
haha in manuel cars you can sit at a stop light rev to the limiter and then push in the clutch and launch using this 5000 rpm limit hahah i think it works great. but if your moving and you put it in N you can rev to the redline hahah and thats how i make my fit backfire!

Old 04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
This is why I don't buy used cars from people I don't know.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by truth
Absolutely...........

Old 04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
+1. Besides, unless you are buying something old, Hondas don't depreciate enough to entice me to buy a late model used one.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
true dat.....

Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
This...
haha in manuel cars you can sit at a stop light rev to the limiter and then push in the clutch and launch using this 5000 rpm limit hahah i think it works great. but if your moving and you put it in N you can rev to the redline hahah and thats how i make my fit backfire!
and then this...

I lol'd

Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
I hope that the computer in your Fit keeps a record of that and you're refused warranty service when you blow the engine.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Are you guys also talking about me? Is there any harm in revving your engine while in neutral?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 PM
no they are talkin about me hahah but the thing is i really dont think im gettin read of the fit anytime soon so i figure push it to the limit break a few things then that just gives me the chance to upgrade. i mean i love my car dont get me wrong but i kno how to work on my car so i understand the damage im doing my clutch is starting to feel weak so im goin to get a new master cyl. that doesnt have the cdv and then im probably going to get a nice clutch with a lighter flywheel (but not too light cuz i still believe that the rotationg mass helps with daily driving) so i understand if i fuck up the engine cuz then ill rebuild it in our shop and get it set to rev even higher cuz i love reving high hahah and then i might do some itbs cuz i really like the l series, haha i also like the d, but i wouldnt swap in a k or anything like that i have faith in the l series hahah its all the power this car needs my goal is around 200 whp but even then i feel like its too high but im sorry for the thread jack

Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
fitisbamf, well, if that's what you're into, that's cool. Problem is (and now be honest) when you decide to sell the car, are you going to do all that work BEFORE you sell the car or towards the end of the life of these parts? Human nature would tell me you'd sell the car at a time when a bunch of things were coming up for replacement. I'm not judging you on that. I'm just saying I don't want to buy that car. See my point?

Old 04-21-2010, 04:38 AM
actually i really dont plan on selling this car until some kinda fit turbo comes from honda

Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
Oh I never knew this. I guess I dont have to upload a video on youtube anymore.

So where is the revs limited to 5000 in neutral but 6900 in any other gear? And how does the Jazz know in what gear I am anyway? I thought changing gears was purely mechanical. Technology is so amazing.

Btw I didn't rev my engine to 5000 on purpose. I was just bored one day and I was playing a little bit with the throttle. The revs goes up so fast.

There's a few ways the car can sense this. One, there could be a sensor/switch in the shifter like the one that tells your back-up lights to engage when you put it in reverse. Another simple option is that if the RPM's go up, so should the Speedometer. If the speedometer is at 0 and the rpm's keep going up, you are in neutral (or the clutch has been depressed).

~SB

Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
I noticed this too and was confused then my dad was all it's a rev limiter stupid I wAs all ohh......

Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 AM
I like how the car keeps track of trip MPG. I'm avoiding resetting the trip meter because even though I know it is incorrect; mine is reading 41.2 right now which I think will help me sell the car here in a few months when I look at a CR-Z. I try to avoid romping on it at all, but I drive like 160 miles a day during the week, so the mileage is getting up there...

As to the original post.. I'd probably beat the snot out of it too if I knew I had a backup car, and planned to overhaul the thing eventually anyways.

Quick Reply: Is this normal?