2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

eye strain from the windshield

Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
Never had a problem with it, and I came from a 93 F150 with a practically flat winshield! To answer your question in the post above, I suppose Honda used this winshield out of neccessity. The extreme slope is one reason why you're getting such great gas mileage. I hope it works out for you!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
To answer your question in the post above, I suppose Honda used this winshield out of neccessity. The extreme slope is one reason why you're getting such great gas mileage.
Right. Especially at highway cruising speeds, aerodynamics is what's all about. That windshield design has aero advantage written all over it.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I am EXTREMELY happy to report that, as of this morning, I have gotten used to the windshield, and it is not causing me any more problems! (And yes, the mileage is great!) :-)) It just took me a while. Thanks, you were all very helpful.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 AM
The OP might want to reconsider sunglasses, even on overcast days. The Fit's windshield is so huge that it lets in a bunch of light even when the sky isn't clear.
Also, try flipping the visors forward to lighten the sunload.
Moon

ETA- I'm a semi-old fart, and it doesn't bug me...
M

Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 AM
I don't get strained but I get really agitated when it starts to get dirty but I have short arms and I can't reach the bottom of the windshield, but one thing that does bother me is how the dash is reflected on the windshild and I can understand how that can disorient people.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:01 AM
I've had my Fit for 3 days =D and i haven't had this problem. But I do think I'm going to have a hard time cleaning it since it's so slanted and big. On the plus side it makes me feel like I'm on a sky deck or something. It gives you great visibility.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aldar
I've had my Fit for 3 days =D and i haven't had this problem. But I do think I'm going to have a hard time cleaning it since it's so slanted and big. On the plus side it makes me feel like I'm on a sky deck or something. It gives you great visibility.
My last two cars were Neons, and they suffered from the same problem-large, steeply sloped windshields that were hard to reach to clean from the inside. Dodge called it "cab forward" styling, IIRC. The Neons did deliver excellent highway fuel economy, though. The Fit windshield is actually a bit easier to reach than they were, believe it or not.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Well, you could always do a "mod"? -First smash or otherwise remove the existing windshield. Then, with some Bondo, extend the roof line further out forward over the hood. Then get a new, flatter windshield and attach it from the roof line down to the hood... -And presto; you've now got a flat, 'distortion'-free' 1930's truck-style windshield!
Oh, and also you'll need some newer, flatter windshield wipers..?

Another option might be to get some eyeglasses that curve from their tops down inward towards your cheeks; -thusly providing an opposite slope from the windshield and offsetting it's effect?

Or else you could just decide to enjoy the damn car? -It's a good one... ">})

Old 04-29-2010, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtunofun
I don't get strained but I get really agitated when it starts to get dirty but I have short arms and I can't reach the bottom of the windshield, but one thing that does bother me is how the dash is reflected on the windshild and I can understand how that can disorient people.
I tinted the upper portion of my windshield and pat a black velour dash cover on it to absorb the glare.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I tinted the upper portion of my windshield and pat a black velour dash cover on it to absorb the glare.
What a great idea! I've always intended to get a tint on an upper stripe on my w/s, but where did you get the black velour upper dash cover? Did you make it?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Please note that the original poster of this discussion dropped out quite a while ago, after posting that she was now completely happy with her car! No, I did not have a brain tumor, as I think someone suggested, but I did have a brief illness that was causing odd headaches, and I did not realize it at the time and thought that it was windshield-related. It wasn't. I am now fine, and TOTALLY in love with my car.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Looking back, I guess the brain tumor suggestion was removed. Thank you..

Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Yeah, that's a new one. Are you sure there isn't any kind of wax or cleaner on the outside of the thing?

This may have nothing to do with it, but make sure you clean the inside of your windshield. It may look perfectly clean, but I found when my '09 was brand new the inside of the windshield got filmy every so often. That can creep up on you and strain the eyes. Give it a clean and see if it helps. And on rainy damp days, it almost always a given you'll need the defrost going- if only on low.
This is a good point; in most new cars the plastics tend to out-gas substances that film up the windows, especially if the car is parked in the sun. If the car has been on a dealer's lot, and they didn't do a good job of cleaning the interior glass, you could easily have some build up. You won't know how bad it is until you clean the glass. In my experience, it requires 2-4 cleanings to get all traces of the film off the glass. After a thorough initial cleaning, once a month or so will keep up with the build up.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
Damn you, OP. Now I can't drive without thinking of the huge windshield and the glare and now I have headaches.

Tomorrow I'm going to check if my Fit starts up correctly, too. All these problems I never thought I had.............

Old 04-30-2010, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazzlee
What a great idea! I've always intended to get a tint on an upper stripe on my w/s, but where did you get the black velour upper dash cover? Did you make it?
I got it at J.C. Whitney when the were having a 20% off sale for purchases of $200 or more and picked up a scan gauge and other small stuff.... I think it was around $30 retail.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
My strip. Had it done when I got it tinted.
Name:  100_6670.jpg
Views: 3592
Size:  46.1 KB

Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Me too- wavy windshield

I know what he means by distorted windshield glass. 1st windshield had NO problems, but I had a rock chip. I had windshield replaced 2 months ago and the edges, 5 or 6 inches from both the passenger and drivers sides, are very distorted. Like a wavy fun-house kind of distorted. I have seen this in cars from the 50's; however, this distortion is not from the pitch, bend, slope, or design of the windshield. I believe this is a result of too much pressure put on the windshield during installation. The installer has tweaked the edges. As my windshield was installed during the winter, the window didn't have the heat needed on the sealant to totally settle.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Visibility is already poor in the fit (I'm 6-2 so there are blind-spots everywhere) and this is just an added challenge. Hoping it resolves in the 1st 120 degree day.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:55 AM
I had ZERO eye strain problems. Even on my trip up north to my home in Wisconsin from Texas (visiting for the holidays)

From Ft Hood to Wisconsin I was in the Fit for over 30 hours, as I kept getting detoured around snow removal operations and highway closings due to weather. Not once was I straining to see out of the windshield.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 PM
exactly. Prior to my windshield replacement, I had zero eye strain too. Now both passenger and drivers sides, 5 -6 inches from edge, are both showing distortion. Never a problem with original factory glass - only replaced glass - so it's either a glass manufacture issue or a glass install issue. Not the car itself.

One point though, for taller drivers, it would have been awesome for the rear-view mirror to have been attached up high, like to front dome light area instead of on the glass itself. The mirror placement perfectly blocks out cars on the right at a 4 way stop.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM
The rearview mirror is mounted on a sort of snake neck.

It moves also. I had this issue (im 6 feet). Not anymore after finding this out!
EDIT I found this out when I had all 3 subwoofers going pretty loud. The mirror shifted and I had a WTF moment until I figured it all out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: eye strain from the windshield