2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

DIY: Denso IK22 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Nice DIY even for plug changes in general. I can't put my finger on why it makes me so nervous to do though.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
instead of denso is there an ngk plug that works?
I believe it's NGK BKR7EIX. Don't quote me on this tho

Old 04-30-2010, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
I changed mine out when I was running nitrous because with nitrous use combustion temp goes up. So the cold plugs were necessary. The plugs used can be found here ZEX? - Sorry....

It is my understanding that these plugs will run fine unless air temps fall well below freezing.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jkskrn
I did it because I have better experiences with Denso than NGK plugs, and read article that it helps to run engine cooler. If u think this is a waste then don't bother changing them. I did this to show people that it's not difficult as what people says to change spark plugs on GE8... Seriously, how come I get all these hacklers everytime I start something...
Why some thoughtless ditz has to crap up a great DIY with a bunch of inane posts is beyond me. YOU did a real nice job with this DIY, it is appreciated!

And it does not take a rocket scientist to see the value.

Plugs............$20 per HP
Intake...........$40 per HP
Turbo/SC.......$120 per hp etc etc

Yeah really, if one thinks this is a waste, then move on to something else. Don't muck up someones very nice effort.

Last edited by Tork; 04-30-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:50 AM
dude, your instructions are fine, but all Im saying is that not everyone wants to PUT DENSO IRIDIUMS in their car and with modding comes risk
the 2HP claims cannot be seen on a dyno computer screen.
lets see what he can do in a 1/4 mile or have long term testing after 5000 miles
Im just being realistic the spark plug upgrade is not really worth it, it will give you something to talk about, just like a spoiler might make your car go faster as well or the MUGEN badges

Old 04-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I dont think people are going to change their plugs simply because they think it will give them 2 horsepower. Let it be dude. Spark plugs WILL need to be replaced one day, and this DIY shows you how to do it without tearing apart your car. Also in some cases (like those running nitrous), the spark plugs need to be replaced and will provide some gains. Way to turn a little comment he made just to lighten the mood into a mess like this.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
I'd say the risk of damaging your engine by changing plugs is pretty damn low. Unless you do it wrong.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:07 AM
its not a mess, don't be easily offended.
everyone has different opinions and experiences with things like this,
and there's nothing wrong with an optimistic and a realistic opinion

Old 04-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by canuck901
its not a mess, don't be easily offended.
everyone has different opinions and experiences with things like this,
and there's nothing wrong with an optimistic and a realistic opinion
Your opinions on the products used by him belong in another thread. This thread was made to guide others who are also interested in changing the spark plugs. This was not made to discuss the effectiveness of aftermarket spark plugs in our cars.

Hopefully this can get cleaned up by the mods.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Your opinions on the products used by him belong in another thread. This thread was made to guide others who are also interested in changing the spark plugs. This was not made to discuss the effectiveness of aftermarket spark plugs in our cars.

Hopefully this can get cleaned up by the mods.
sure, this should be in a section under aftermarket mods
useless and good ones

Old 04-30-2010, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13

Hopefully this [thread] can get cleaned up by the mods.
Exactly, the lameness some people stoop to is incredible.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
jkskrn, thanks for another good informative thread.... I have a set of IK22s to put in my car the next time I am under the hood..... I am going to have to bolt a couple of grand more worth of parts on pretty soon..... If you are content too drive under 4000 RPM and live in a place where it gets cold you don't need cold plugs and should be driving a 1962 Rambler.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I was going to add if you drive like you should instead just be on public transportation then obviously the plugs are not going to do much for the motor. If you like to beat the piss out of the car even though it was not designed with that in mind, the 1 step colder plugs will help the motor.

The DIY is definitely good for those afraid to take the plunge in going forward with changing plugs. Unfortunately for me, I have no choice but to remove the cowl as the RHD models have the brake fluid reservoir sitting right in that open space. Something I stated when I changed my plugs and somebody, no names to be mentioned, replied with how many times do they have to say the cowl doesn't have to be removed to change the plugs. I don't have the biggest hands or arms for that matter, but one would have to have spaghetti width arms to be able to maneuver around without taking the cowl off.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
jkskrn, thanks for another good informative thread.... I have a set of IK22s to put in my car the next time I am under the hood..... I am going to have to bolt a couple of grand more worth of parts on pretty soon..... If you are content too drive under 4000 RPM and live in a place where it gets cold you don't need cold plugs and should be driving a 1962 Rambler.
Cant wait to hear your take on the IK22, and mainly this mysterious couple grand of goodies

Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
I do not believe plugs will get you 2HP,
I wave the BS flag on that
i think putting deno's is a waste...lol
what are the OEM plugs? haha...thats sweet the FIT has coilovers?
haha i almost replied saying BS as well.. because replacing one of the top quality brand sparkplugs for a Denso? lol I used to run NGK's on my previous car (which was boosted) but people that own performance car's generally don't use iridium's because sparkplugs are changed so often that you only need a 3 step colder Range sparkplug of ANY metal..

On my boosted car, i used to have to change mine like every 9k miles or so, with an Copper Cold 3 step colder plug, and i think mainly because i have to gap it so aggressive... but if you are willing to change it often.. its only 12 bux for ALL 8 sparkplugs, (yeah i had a v8 boosted car)

the forum i was on which was for "boosted car owners only" all mainly use a generic Autolite Copper cold sparkplug which was gapped really aggressive.

just type in Iridium vs. Copper or even vs. Plat. in Google search You'll see multiple threads from a different variety of car forums saying:
Iridium/Plat = Maintenance free
Copper = Performance... but frequent sparkplug changes.

iridium vs copper - Google Search

but as of now.. iam personally going to continue to use Iridium untill i go boosted again (if i ever go boosted again)

Last edited by Vash; 04-30-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
I agree with you 100% about copper core plugs..... I was discussing he use of them on the on the boosted forum about the time that the use of the IK22 Denzo had first proven power gains at Kraft Werks on both NA and boosted Fits and Oscar Jackson JR had said there was a possible chance for damage to the ECU from using non resistor spark plugs...... I had to use them in a heat range 2 steps colder on a GM Vortex V6 powered Safari cargo van with Hyper Tech program Mallory HyFire box, intake and exhaust changes..... I had tried Bosh quad electrode platinums and it was ping city though they worked well in our 95 GMC Vortex V6 pickup with a HyperTech chip and stock ignition...In fact the Bosch quad platinum plugs haven't been touched in close to 9 years..... I am going to follow the advice of Oscar Jackson and other people here and on other forums about the colder heat range iridium IK22 Denso plugs until someone using copper core plugs on a boosted Fit reports more positive results in performance and fuel mileage gains....

Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
I know NGK plugs r just better plugs in general. But with my boosted Z4 (I'm not compareing it with my Fit so don't get all pissy lol) Denso worked better. It came with Bosch plugs from the shop which lasted 200 miles... And then bought 2 step cooler NGK iridium plugs and worked pretty well but I had to change like every 3k miles or so. My friend who now works for Honda dealer recomended me to use Denso IK24 and it lasted the day I totaled the car (aprx. 15k miles) and worked as good as NGK ones. Again, I think it goes to personal preference I wish I knew earlier about copper core plugs work better with boosted cars

Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Somehow, I fit my camera and took some more pics today to show u guys how it looks like from behind the engine!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jkskrn
I know NGK plugs r just better plugs in general. But with my boosted Z4 (I'm not compareing it with my Fit so don't get all pissy lol) Denso worked better. It came with Bosch plugs from the shop which lasted 200 miles... And then bought 2 step cooler NGK iridium plugs and worked pretty well but I had to change like every 3k miles or so. My friend who now works for Honda dealer recomended me to use Denso IK24 and it lasted the day I totaled the car (aprx. 15k miles) and worked as good as NGK ones. Again, I think it goes to personal preference I wish I knew earlier about copper core plugs work better with boosted cars
oh wait are you getting boosted soon? if thats the case, it doesn't matter what you have in there, it will be changed out around 10 thousand miles anyways.

Honda just throws in NGK Iridium's because all Iridium's/Plat plugs last the longest without maintenance (stock), but if you go boosted they will get corrosion just like any other sparkplugs really quickly.

i mean don't get me wrong your pictures are very helpful, and your absolutely correct, its personal preference and its cheap anyways to replace them.... Soooo if you trust Denso over NGK.. why not..

for me, like i said earlier: Generic.. but i prefer autolite just because its an all Black sparkplug as if someone will ever see what sparkplugs i have IN the motor.:

Last edited by Vash; 04-30-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but Honda have a part number for, both the NGK and Denso plugs... Not IK20 or 22 but Denso does indeed makes spark plugs for the fit!!

MArko!

Quick Reply: DIY: Denso IK22 spark plugs