2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why is the fit so underrated... ?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Why is the fit so underrated... ?

What I am always wondering is why is the fit so grossly underrated? I just don't get it.

90% of the people on earth buy a car for function and utility. And most of them are just regular families. The other 10% are car enthusiasts.

Well I can't think of a better car on the market then the honda fit. It gets very good gas mileage and its cargo space is unrivaled. There is also plenty of headroom and comfort for all 5 passengers with enough room for your groceries. This is the ultimate car for a family. It's cheap to buy and to maintain, great fuel economy and best of all the utility factor. You can transport refrigerators, sofas and small furniture without problems. It's also very fun and satisfying to drive this car. This car has everything the average man needs.

I feel this car is really under appreciated. I want to know why?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Almost every professional review that I've come across loves the Fit for its diversity. Fun to drive, fuel sipping, and tons of cargo space seems to be the most common raves. If anything the price is a little higher than its competitors but if there are any largely negative reviews of the Fit out there I've yet to come across one.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:16 PM
No, its not the reviews. I've seen nothing but rave reviews but if I look around me in everyday life then I feel that the fit is very underrated.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't think it's underrated. Just over priced. Well, not over priced really, just more expensive than the competitors. I think the price is fitting for what you get. But people who just compare pieces of paper might think "Hey why is this thing X amount of dollars more when it comparable to this car for X amount less."

Either way I sometimes enjoy driving the Fit just as much as my weekend racer.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Well here the price difference between the FIT and its competitors is about the same difference between a MT Fit and an AT fit. That didn't discourage people from buying ATs though.

And the fit is better build. Most competitors for example don't have a telescoping steering wheel. It also has more horsepower then any other competing car. Thats the main reason. You really get what you pay for. I believe the price difference is negligible anyway.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
i bought mine because it reminded me of my 93 civic hatchback. the feel, stance, and just overall car was what made me buy it. also, the FIT is still quite new to this side of the globe is it not? 07-08 and 09-10 thus far? people ask me what i drive and they are like " a what?" "a honda what?" people just don't know about it. also, with the price difference you are buying a Honda. enough said right there. quality and reliability. hands down.

under rated...no. just not known to the "norm"

Old 05-09-2010, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Don't mean to pile on. But yes, I just bought a Fit. So far I really agree it's a great automobile. However, I don't think it's underrated. I was lead to The Fit because of the overwhelming majority of absolutely glowing reviews. So I can't say it's underrated.

The only thing that has suprised me, and maybe this is a fluke, is while with my research I found The Fit to be highly recommended and actually highly rated, I admit when I told my Brother and My father I had purchased a Honda Fit...they both did not know about The Fit. Which is a little strange. To me The Fit has gotten a lot of publicity but neither of them knew what I was talking about. My brother kept calling it a Honda Fiat....uggh.....

Both of them separately own Honda Accords, so it's not like they are Honda uninitiated. I was suprised they both acted like they had never heard of a Honda Fit. Because at this point it's hardly a rare car. After repeating it 3 times, I finally got my Brother to realize it was called The Fit..not The Honda Fiat....

To me The Fit isn't underrated, has gotten a lot of positive publicity, and while it might not be the most plentiful new car on the ground, it isn't rare, I see a lot of them.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
I had never heard of the fit until I started researching econoboxes. Then my dad showed me the great review from Consumer Reports and I really started leaning towards the Fit.

I think Honda relies on word of mouth and these reviews to sell the Fit. That and visibility at the dealership. I guarantee you 5/10 purchasers of the Fit come on the lot looking for a civic, etc. and see how much better a deal the Fit is. The Fit is a low margin product and because of that reason, it probably doesn't make much sense to put a bunch of marketing $ into it. This is my guess, but I'm sure Honda knows what it's doing, it's been playing this game for quite some time!

Old 05-09-2010, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
I think it's just a case of people being uninformed.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
I knew I wanted one after the first reviews in Motor Trend and Road & Track.... It was almost 4 months before I could lay my hands on one and I bought having never seen one except in magazines.... If I could have found an old Rabbit GTI in pristine condition I would have gotten it instead but I couldn't.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Well i think its a great car a little bit pricey for what it is. I looked at a golf the other day man they have really nice interiors with bluetooth and heated seats. But mpg was worst than the fit and there about $3k more than the Fit. I am not sure which i will go with i need more room. Hmm Golf has nice interior and looks great. Fit gets great MPG cheaper and is a honda

Old 05-09-2010, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
For one thing, Honda doesn't seem to advertise the car at all. I think I've seen ONE TV commercial for the Fit in the past two years. The car gets glowing reviews from the motoring press, but the average non-enthusiast (the person who doesn't read car mags) doesn't even seem to be aware of the car's existence. I get the feeling that Honda doesn't WANT the Fit to succeed in the US. They would rather sell Civics, CRVs and other more profitable cars.

Then too, price is an object in the US econo-car market. Why else would I see so many Chevy Aveos?

Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 PM
It was elected "Car of the year 2009" in Denmark but they are hardly seen on the road here.
Even the fact that I´m a truck driver and on the road 8-10 hours every day, I have only seen 3 or 4 since i got mine 5 weeks ago

Old 05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
For one thing, Honda doesn't seem to advertise the car at all. I think I've seen ONE TV commercial for the Fit in the past two years. The car gets glowing reviews from the motoring press, but the average non-enthusiast (the person who doesn't read car mags) doesn't even seem to be aware of the car's existence. I get the feeling that Honda doesn't WANT the Fit to succeed in the US. They would rather sell Civics, CRVs and other more profitable cars.

Then too, price is an object in the US econo-car market. Why else would I see so many Chevy Aveos?
You've got to believe Honda would want success wherever they could find it. But it is strange. Honda does have a well received and reviewed product in The Fit, and yet they do seem to almost undermine it's own existence. You can debate The Mazda 3, or The upcoming Ford Fiesta or Golf, or even Hyundai but with The Fit, Honda does have one of the top cars available in it's class.

At the dealership I bought mine, they didn't even have a Fit on the showroom floor. Every other Honda Product had a professional looking adult brochure. The Fits brochure? Was a folding poster, laid out in graphic comic book style.

I know Honda thinks of The Fit as a youth orientated entry level product BUT I think they are selling it short. I think they could sell more of them to a even more diverse age demographic. But perhaps you are right. Maybe Honda wants to keep the good small thing...a small thing....

Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
I've only had the car a week, but within the first few days, I had two people ask me who made it. When I reply "Honda" they smile and say they like it. When I had the Suzuki, the conversation would go about the same right up until after the question part.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
I think it mostly has to do with the small number of Fits available. Finding a new one for sale is not easy! While there might be 10-15 Civics on a dealer's lot, 2 Fits is probably the most you will find, at least in the southeastern US. Also, you don't see many of them on the roads, because there just aren't many to go around.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Why?

Originally Posted by micwic
It was elected "Car of the year 2009" in Denmark but they are hardly seen on the road here.
Even the fact that I´m a truck driver and on the road 8-10 hours every day, I have only seen 3 or 4 since i got mine 5 weeks ago
I believe you, but it seems strange that you only have seen 3 or 4. Are they readily available in Denmark?... or are they low in inventory?... or are they expensive compared to Denmark's vehicles?

It's just strange that it is "The car of the Year" and no one is buying them at, what seems, a minuscule rate.

It certainly seems underrated in Denmark!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure what is meant by "underrated" but there are a lot here I see at least 4-5 daily and not the same one twice. On my block I'm the 3rd person to buy one! I do agree that Honda hasn't really marketed them well if at all.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't consider it underrated. Everything I've read about the Fit sings it praises. It is a good, well made, dependable and inexpensive automobile. But realistically it's not anything more than that.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Honda has never been about marketing and probably never will, though their marketing department in the US is very weak compared to the rest of the world over. Does it hurt the company, no and maybe yes. I can't say I don't see Fits on the road here, as I probably see about 25~30/day easily. It is a very well received product in the home market.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is the fit so underrated... ?