2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Exhaust advice

I want to get exhaust for my car, i guess axle back since its easier to find and cheaper than cat back. I was hoping to get some opinions on what is better for the 2nd gen in terms of sound, performance (if any), value, etc etc. Ive been looking at the tanabe, greddy ti-c, hks hi-power, and a few others. any suggestions?? i was hoping to keep it under $500 for the entire set up and i know its possible if i shop around online and piece together. please help me out with brands and suggestions for the entire set up of different parts like which pipes to get, and other stuff. thanks to those who can give me some advice..

Old 05-26-2010, 03:07 AM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
I've been thinking about this too. My pick is the HKS hi power. deep growl that makes the Fit more agressive.It's more affordable than Spoon N1

Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 AM
Banned
I say go with Greedy Ti-Catback. It's has the tone you want and not that ugly tone you hear from some hondas or go with the Evo 2 Greedy also. it sounds nice check them out on you tube.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:19 AM
Banned
And it sounds like you wanna do the entire set up. That's easy go down your list first Muffler which one then after run to a Muffler shop tell them you want to custom make your entire pipes to cut the catalic. That runs about $100 flat. Then down pipe and header for about $140 on eBay you can get both for that price and they are perfect I have all of that done. Now add up the price

Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Red Diablo
And it sounds like you wanna do the entire set up. That's easy go down your list first Muffler which one then after run to a Muffler shop tell them you want to custom make your entire pipes to cut the catalic. That runs about $100 flat. Then down pipe and header for about $140 on eBay you can get both for that price and they are perfect I have all of that done. Now add up the price
You forgot the part about removing the cat being illegal and that any legit shop wont legally "cut your catalitic."

Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
that all depends on where you are here in florida they dont check for smog from your exhaust

Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by tokenfit
that all depends on where you are here in florida they dont check for smog from your exhaust
They don't check you for smog, but any legit exhaust shop will not remove a cat from your exhaust. I grew up in the midwest with no emissions laws but if you went in for a safety inspection with no cat you automatically failed.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Ok here is what I got super deep loud sound if u want to be loud u want this he total cost for me to have it installed 231$ I got 2 1/2 " from the cat back to a wickedflow muffler me and my other friend with the same car as me but mt got the same thing it sounds great and the butt dyno said I go much quicker lol

Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
the cheapest is to just cut out your muffler and straight
pipe it. many have done it and i have heard it first hand.
it sounds great. thats one of my next projects.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
So from what ive read i have a few questions. should i go with the axle back or cat back because i know there are more axle back options for the 09 and isnt it cheaper? also the greddy ti-c says its cat back but for the 09 it says rear section only so im assuming thats just the muffler part, which for the price doesnt make sense to spend extra on it if its just rear section only right? also what would i need for the straight pipe? just a straight pipe and muffler? or other piping as well? sorry i sound like a noob but im trying to get a plan down before i head out to a shop or buy something. and ive heard alot of people talking about problems with putting a down pipe on the fit.. what should i put on instead if i went with that set up? mid pipe or b- pipe? i know it depends but like i said im trying to stay under 450 - 500 but with out skimping and having it sound like straight up tin can. let me know - thanks

Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned
Well yes that's the issue not many shops with custom make you a straight pipe. But just ask them am in Miami an that's what I did. It's loud after u do that and after the header and down pipe your even louder.

One time I put my header n down pipe and disconected the down pipe that connects to the rest and man that sounds nice but the movement of the car I didn't like

Old 05-26-2010, 06:49 PM
I put the T1R 50mm B-Pipe and the HKS muffler on my 2010 Sport. Cost including $50 labor at the local muffler shop was right at $600. You can get a pretty good price if you spend a little time shopping/researching on the internet. I also installed the K&N cold air intake and the -22 spark plugs. Gas mileage went up about 10% and the engine really comes alive above 3000 RPM. Not much additional low range torque though.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by gshipley_nc
I put the T1R 50mm B-Pipe and the HKS muffler on my 2010 Sport. Cost including $50 labor at the local muffler shop was right at $600. You can get a pretty good price if you spend a little time shopping/researching on the internet. I also installed the K&N cold air intake and the -22 spark plugs. Gas mileage went up about 10% and the engine really comes alive above 3000 RPM. Not much additional low range torque though.
the i bought k&n typhoon CAI last week and thats why im looking at exhaust now. and for red diablo: if you have the 09-10, what headers did you get? because im having a hard time finding anything but for the 06-08

Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Ummmmmm.... there aren't any headers for the GE and there probably won't be because of the way the head is designed. Further, for the same reason there probably won't be any FI systems either. With the K&N, b-pipe and HKS muffler my Fit gets up and goes above 3k or so. The -22 plugs are supposed to add a couple of HP.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Well I just saw gshipley reply with what I started to type out, so no need to be redundant about it. Red Diablo, please see where you are posting, this is a GE section of the forum.

There are already forced induction systems for the GE, at least in a supercharger variant. And one could replace the 1st of 2 cats with a piece designed with a turbo flange to mount a turbo, will a company go to this length is the real question and is there enough clearance for a decent setup as well is another.

For $500, you will probably want to go with a custom setup, you can purchase a universal muffler cheaply and have a shop mate that to some piping, wouldn't really go above 54mm in diameter though as the L15 doesn't create enough exhaust flow to warrant bigger, hence why most manufacturers run with 50mm piping. Now if you are wanting to go FI later or shortly down the road if more products become available, I would say wait for the exhaust, as 50~54mm would be restrictive.

Now if you want an off the shelf cat-back setup, J's (hate to seem like a J's nutswinger by bringing them up) does offer their 304 stainless version of the 50RS for about $250 more than you are budgeting for. I know that is a 50% increase in cost, but it will give you what you are looking for in sound, performance is questionable with any exhaust for this motor. The stock 48mm piping is actually quite adequate because going back to the L15, it just doesn't really pump. You will see a small increase in power, will it be something you feel, possibly, but know going in that it is not going to make you say, "Damn this car is much faster". You can definitely liven up the aural senses though by changing out. I know for me, just waiting for the damn $ to increase in value against the ¥ so I can purchase the 50RS Ti setup because the stock system is annoyingly TOO quiet.

Good luck on whatever route you traverse.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
I also went with the HKS Hi-Power because it looks better in my opinion. It faces a little to the right instead of facing straight like others. I love this exhaust because it makes pretty much no noise. I mention this a lot (and people agree who has the same setup like me) but the PRM intake is SO much louder than my HKS exhaust after 3K rpm. If u r looking for one with crazy loud noise then go with the Mugen one. I heard the noise in person and it's nothing like those video clips u see on utube (U won't believe how it makes that noise...). But it's WAY TOO FREAKING EXPENSIVE compare to others... FYI, I'm getting about 10% increase in mpg with my set up with better engine response (not HP raise )

Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 PM
you say the hks is quiet? i was thinking about getting either the tanabe, hks, or ti-c but i didnt want it to be quiet. and lets say i did get the hks or ti-c, what exactly would i need for the complete set up? and would i need different pipes since the hks is axle back and the ti-c is cat back but rear section only (which im not sure if that technically means axle back)?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, HKS is so quiet (the axle back only). Just VERY DEEP LOW TONE noise that people within 10 feet will hear in normal driving. If u want something louder than don't get the HKS alone. To complete the whole system, u will need a down pipe (replaces one of the cats), b-pipe (I believe it replaces resonator), and then axle back (like HKS exhaust). Unfortunatly, they don't make headers for GE8 due to the way Honda designed the header but then the down pipe is kinda like headers in my view. I don't think u will need extra parts to mix match any b pipes and axle backs because they are all bolt-ons. My HKS took me 5 mins after I lifted the car...

Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
i had a custom axle back made, i used a ebay twin loop muffler, muffler was $60 and to have it all welded with all new hardware it was %100, love the sound, nice and throaty yet mellow while at crusing speeds

Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Oh and I think people replaces the exhaust can (axle back) with a straight pipe. I think that can be done easily at a local exhaust shop for less than $100 installed. I kinda played around with the gas pedal after taking the stock exhaust can out and it sounded pretty good (not too loud) without the can so I'm sure that's a good option too. BTW, HKS exhaust is heavier than the stock one by like 3 lb

Quick Reply: Exhaust advice