2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street legal hid lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:46 PM
MNFit...Nice engine bay

Old 06-19-2010, 05:55 PM
good point goobers.

in alot of diy hid instructions, they list the importance of aiming down the bulbs slightly

Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by snuggyfit
good point goobers.

in alot of diy hid instructions, they list the importance of aiming down the bulbs slightly
Well, the first kit, I aimed it as per generic DIY aiming instructions for headlights (not just HIDs). Find a wall with about 30+ ft of FLAT ground (doesn't need to be level, just straight and flat). Pull right up to the wall, mark where the cutoff is. Pull back about 25 ft and aim at those marks. Because I'm in an SUV, I have to hit 1 inch lower then the mark.

Because the first two kits had such a sharp cutoff, it came out well. The third didn't have a clean cutoff. I didn't change the aim until I put in the third kit, which went lower. When a bulb in the third kit went out, I put the working bulb from the second kit in. I re-aimed that one back up slightly.

Btw, part of the reason I go through so many bulb is because I do deliveries in the evening, which kills the bulbs (too many on-off cycles).

Old 06-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks citabria7

In my last car, a 99 Grand AM GT I had a PnP kit. Like every one else that owns a PnP kit I said that its not that bad. I never got flashed by anyone and I did get I bit better lighting. I had light going every where, it was lighting up bottoms of trees and bridges as I drove under them and walls and houses on the sides as I drove past. I never aimed my lights down, but I do hear a lot of PnP owners say that they do aim them down. If your aiming your lights down then that is completle counter acting the whole point of getting the "HIDs" is it not?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Snuggy...FYI, I have used either Silverstar or Siverstar Ultras for years. Never had any burn out.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by citabria7
Snuggy...FYI, I have used either Silverstar or Siverstar Ultras for years. Never had any burn out.
Silverstars are good...but I like the Phillips Crystal Vision Ultras too. Another good option and the are slightly more of a white light.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 PM

i dont know what was going on with them when i was using them.....
i definitly wasn't touching the bulb or any of the important stuff...

dont know. but had my hid kit running for almost a year now.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
I think using bulbs or HIDs is a preference thing. Some like to stick with OEM parts, while others like to "try" things differently. Both Silverstar Ultra and Philips Crystal Vision (specially the 5000K series) are good alternatives for people who do not like HIDs yet want more light on the road. In fact, the color coming off from the Philips 5000K bulbs are the closest thing to an actual 5000K HID Kit.

+Rep Goobers for mentioning about aiming down the headlights after HID installation. That usually corrects 90% of the problem, the other 10% as being caught by cops having a bad day.

There are actually aftermarket Headlamp Leveling Systems or Directional Headlamp Systems which you can install. I've seen them when I was in Japan, and they are quite popular among people who wants HID but don't want the hassle of realigning their headlights.

Last edited by Guinness; 06-19-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:58 PM
ALL headlights should be aimed down. This site outlines the exact procedure for aiming headlights: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply (props to member kps for originally linking it on this forum here).

Here's what it boils down to for US DOT regulations:
Park 25 feet from a wall. For our car & type headlights (marked VOL), beam cut-off should be 2.1 inches below the height of the actual bulb (which stock, sits at about 28 inches). And then if you've got a taller vehicle, the amount down they need to be aimed increases, according to the chart.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I get flashed with my lows on and I have strifht up oem bulbs in there

Old 06-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by crash001
I get flashed with my lows on and I have strifht up oem bulbs in there
So re-aim them.

Mine were horribly aimed when I bought the car - whether it was from the factory, or from the previous owner, I don't know. But the cut-off @ 25 feet is supposed to be 2.1" lower than bulb height, and mine were about 14 inches lower. Couldn't see a damn thing.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 PM
I heard the Phillips were good, but can't find them here in AZ.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Guinness
+Rep Goobers for mentioning about aiming down the headlights after HID installation. That usually corrects 90% of the problem, the other 10% as being caught by cops having a bad day.

There are actually aftermarket Headlamp Leveling Systems or Directional Headlamp Systems which you can install. I've seen them when I was in Japan, and they are quite popular among people who wants HID but don't want the hassle of realigning their headlights.
Playing devil's advocate, I'd have to disagree about the "percentages."

I won't give numbers, but the other part of the problem is puttng the wrong type of bulb. You can't put a plain re-based d2s bulb in a housing meant for dual filament (like the h4/9003hb2) without the shield. That's what I see as a mistake in a number of cars with PNP HID kits. Without the shield, you ARE throwing light everywhere, just like highbeams. No amount of aiming will help you there.

Just in case anyone that things HID+shield is some kind of proof you shouldn't be using HIDs, take a look at a standard H4 bulb, you'll see the shield on the inside.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Playing devil's advocate, I'd have to disagree about the "percentages."

I won't give numbers, but the other part of the problem is puttng the wrong type of bulb. You can't put a plain re-based d2s bulb in a housing meant for dual filament (like the h4/9003hb2) without the shield. That's what I see as a mistake in a number of cars with PNP HID kits. Without the shield, you ARE throwing light everywhere, just like highbeams. No amount of aiming will help you there.

Just in case anyone that things HID+shield is some kind of proof you shouldn't be using HIDs, take a look at a standard H4 bulb, you'll see the shield on the inside.
Thats strange, I thought people usually buy what fits their headlights? If your headlight uses H4, you buy an H4 HID kit. Most of the kits I see on the market (Bixenon anyway) comes with shields... and I thought thats standard.

Thanks for pointing that out. Guess you learn something new everyday

Old 06-19-2010, 10:32 PM
I heard the Phillips were good, but can't find them here in AZ.
Actually picked mine up at Meijer (regional grocery store)
You can always buy them online like these places.
suvlights.com PHILIPS- CrystalVision ULTRA +50% & Super White- 4000K- (H1, H3, H7, 9003/H4, 90
Amazon.com: CrystalVision Ultra: 9006: Automotive

Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Thats strange, I thought people usually buy what fits their headlights? If your headlight uses H4, you buy an H4 HID kit. Most of the kits I see on the market (Bixenon anyway) comes with shields... and I thought thats standard.

Thanks for pointing that out. Guess you learn something new everyday
That's just the thing, there is no "standard" just what we're used to most of the time. But, its easy to buy a single beam for H4, sometimes they give a warning about losing high beam, a few give a warning about losing low beam.

For people that care enough to pay attention, it's not a problem. But we all know there are plenty that just don't give a...

Old 06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
I read your post and thanks for the idea
do you know any after market projector headlights for our FIT that got the european LED strips?
I plan to install HID and lower the aim of the headlights
can you help me please?
thanks

Old 06-20-2010, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Guinness had a group buy for some easy to install projectors. Now that's a big step up from using nothing at all to correct with.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by snuggyfit
i completely disagree with the last two comments except for somethings.

HIDs DO increase your visability. its a higher lum. lighting system that increases your visual range at night.

now the 10k 12k crap.......DOES decrease. its simply made to look cool. those kelvin temps create a glare that makes it harder to see.

An oem bulb is rated at 4300kish. which is closest to sunlight. thats why oem bulbs are built that way.

4, 6 and sometimes 8k hids are great for the driver and since i got them i couldnt be happier. it sets your car off as far as looks and increases my visability by a large portion. (i drive for a living.) i use 6k which is just pure white. in back forested areas it makes a huge difference and ive actually been able to avoid animals before partially due i think to my hids increasing my visual range.

there also a lower wattage system which isn't a strong point for the fit if you haven't noticed. so it helps maintain wattage in the rest of cabin/dash/windows ect.

as far as the legality. if its not oem, its not legal. period. is a cop going to give you hassel about them? most likely not ,due to there increasing popularity and commonality.

almost everyone hates them. projected or not if your car doesn't have the hid system built into it its illegal. projected hids are angled in a way where its less distracting for other drivers so oem is legal because the light is controlled. which oem hid systems are usually built projected.

so if you really want an hid system like me thats not projected. go for it. im willing to deal with cops and the occasional minivan driver who dosn't know what hids are that high beam me. whatever. i think there usefull and effective.
I'd rephrase your 1st sentence on this one. HIDs have the POTENTIAL for increasing your visibility. Higher Lumen does not always equate to better visibility. it's like the discussions about running with your fog lamps on all of the time. there are more lumens with 4 bulbs on VS 2 bulbs but realisitically, running with your fogs turned on or using improperly installed/aimed lamps will actually decrease your visibility.

for example, a Drop in HID kit [that lights up the world around you] lights up TOO many other items which reflect back at your eye (causing the pupil to constrict, hence lessening the light that enters your eye). This means you actually see less of the road ahead of you (except for the 10' in front of your car which is Insanely well lit... but useless). What you need to see is the road and slight amount of shoulder ahead of you... and this is the real benefit of projectors. They put more light RIGHT WHERE YOU NEED IT and ONLY where you need it.

That plus as others have stated... a properly installed system with projectors (or a reflector housing designed for HID bulbs) is the best way of doing it as it will put the light right where you need it, and won't blind oncoming traffic. also, will lessen the liklihood of cops pulling you over.

If you aren't going to do it or be safe about doing it DO NOT!!!! move over to HIDs. That minivan driver might not know squat about what HIDs are but they do know that the light shining at them is tooo uncontrolled/bright and dangerous.

OP, Do what you want to your own car, but make sure that the choices you make don't effect others negatively.

As for bulbs, HOEN Xenonmatch bulbs have been rated really well and a few guys on the Altima board had them and loved them. They lasted much longer than the silverstars and didn't have the glare issue that Cheap HID kits have. they also just work out of the box and don't have ballast issues, need relay kits, etc... installed.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 06-20-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Quick Reply: street legal hid lights