2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To visor, or not to visor - that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
To visor, or not to visor - that is the question

I'm torn on visors for the GE. It's a curious subject, and I'm sure others here have been in the same boat. Sometimes I think the Fit looks better with them, and other times I kinda wonder what the hell I am thinking, but that thought seems to arise from US society's view about them. Hondas tend to be the only cars I think they even look attractive on, so maybe it's just been a lack of well designed ones by auto makers, or something that just hasn't caught on.

What do you think? Are there places in the US where these are fairly common? I hardly ever see them here, and Austin's weather is nice enough. Is it the equivalent of rocking a plastic flamingo head as a hood ornament or something?

Second topic: I haven't put mine on yet, but if they were to be removed later, will the rubber door surround show marks from the tabs?

And finally, post up a shot of your visored car if you want. Stock height ones too.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
I always assume when I see someone with them its because they are a smoker.

Although I really do like the Mugen ones.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM
OEM door visors - front only - 35% rear half tint - 5% windscreen strip

Don't be concerned with the clips - non-marring.

K_C EDIT: it's not what everyone else is doing it's about what you like

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 06-21-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
I always assume when I see someone with them its because they are a smoker.
That thought definitely crosses my mind as well.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
K_C EDIT: it's not what everyone else is doing it's about what you like
I should add a disclaimer: of course it's about what you want. I was expecting that reply. My background is in psychology, so maybe this can be treated as more of an exploration of the perception subject. Not your typical thread, I guess. Something a little different.

Thanks for the info on the marring. I'd love to try them out, but I've never seen a fit with them in the flesh, so I don't know if I'd like them until I put them on.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
I should add a disclaimer: of course it's about what you want. I was expecting that reply. My background is in psychology, so maybe this can be treated as more of an exploration of the perception subject. Not your typical thread, I guess. Something a little different.

Thanks for the info on the marring. I'd love to try them out, but I've never seen a fit with them in the flesh, so I don't know if I'd like them until I put them on.
HA! You're in the right place for an exploration into perception!!

A huge advantage to door visors is being able to vent the car when parked. When driving with the windows open they do reduce air turbulence "in your ear". Others talk about using them in the rain... I'm a huge fan of A/C to keep the cabin conditioned so the rain factor is minimal for me.

K_C_

Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Functionally, they don't seem all that effective. It just does not seem like they let much airflow through when the car is parked and I don't feel like it's any cooler when the car has been parked in the sun. Though on a warm-but-not-hot day, I can crack the windows which allows me to stay cool without using the A/C and at highway speeds still hear the radio without the windows all the way down. They are also sometimes useful in keeping the sun out of your eyes.

That said, I do like the look of them. The OEM ones are sleek and don't bubble out the way a lot of the 3rd-party ones do. Given the relatively low cost for the USDM ones I have no regrets. I probably would not have bothered springing for JDM/Mugen ones.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
What about with the windows all the way down? Less noise and buffeting?

I figure keeping some of the mid-day sun out is an advantage. Good to know they don't work that well in the extreme heat. We are already hitting mid 90s here, and will be over a hundred almost every day later in the summer.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i have the mugen one on my GD... not so much a fashion statement but for function. works great for me.

i dont usually use visors on my cars. i think they disrupt the lines of the car, but on a box or wedge car like ours it looks okay.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
I like my visors because on rainy days I can still roll with the windows down a bit and my interior stays dry!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
I have been toying with getting visors as well. I keep coming back to no, in terms of looks and practicality. Not enough of either for me. I was also on the fence with body side molding and decided against that as well. The other night the light was perfectly highlighting the multiple body lines on the doors, and they are very nice. Slapping body side molding on would take away from the look, for me. I'm glad I'm waiting and thinking about the exterior mods because more and more I realize I really do prefer the look of the car- stock.

Dan

Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
I'm a huge fan of A/C to keep the cabin conditioned so the rain factor is minimal for me.
I agree. In my experience thus far, it's really not a choice anyway. On rainy days, there is no keeping the windshield clear for long without the defrost going. Slightly cracked windows don't do the job for me. I mostly drive at night and this whole thing is more pronounced.

Dan

Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I have been toying with getting visors as well. I keep coming back to no, in terms of looks and practicality. Not enough of either for me. I was also on the fence with body side molding and decided against that as well. The other night the light was perfectly highlighting the multiple body lines on the doors, and they are very nice. Slapping body side molding on would take away from the look, for me. I'm glad I'm waiting and thinking about the exterior mods because more and more I realize I really do prefer the look of the car- stock.

Dan
Trust me - Tint the back half [I went 35% but should have gone 25%] - visor the front doors - and as you've rightly decided forget about the moldings.

You're absolutely correct about the body lines. One of the nicest things regarding the G8 is the body styling. Mugen smoogan. I just wish our FIT's would come with half the options available in the UK or Germany.

Honda Jazz | Book Test Drive | Specification, Finance & Information

As has been said elswhere, across the pond the JAZZ is a real car. Here in the USA it's still a novelty "econobox" entry level car not to be taken seriously....

K_C_

Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
So, from what I can gather, these are basically good for smoking in the rain. No wonder half the cars in Japan have them installed.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member

If I smoked in my Fit they'd be a must for sure. But I don't.

Dan

Old 06-22-2010, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
They are also good for allowing you to leave the windows cracked on a hot day without worry of rain or intruder.

Since heat rises, the heat from your car will rise and release through the cracked windows thus leaving your car cooler.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
you live in texas, so i would have to say YEAH go for it.

i tend to drive mostly on highways... so I keep my windows up a lot and use the air condition... in combination with less air turbulence noise from with the window visors.

also when i do roll my windows down i roll them ALL the way down... so i really found no need for them in my situation, but i lived at a really hot area, i think i would get some. Because no matter how fast you are going with your windows down... there are some days that are just WAY too hot to drive with the windows down, and you still get sweaty anyways.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
In jzerocsk's post above, he mentions that they don't do the greatest job of ventilating the car when it's hot out, but logic (and physics) say it would help to some degree.

Is there less wind turbulence when the windows are all the way down? To get more of a convertible type feeling would be awesome.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:13 AM
As you noted they do vent the cabin - windows can be aprox 2" down, key word is vent.

I find that they do decrease wind turbulence when driving at moderate speeds w/ windows down.

At highway speeds not so much, but they do make a difference - as for the convertable feel, it's a car with the windows open.

EDIT: Again, I only have the front vents installed - rear windows are tinted and always closed.

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 06-22-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your input. What I mean by convertible feel, is that there is no buffeting and wind doesn't blow in on your face as much. Just a smooth stream of air going by.

Quick Reply: To visor, or not to visor - that is the question