2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Lift kit

I have an '09 MT fit. Looking for info about Lift kits to raise it up and get more ground clearance. Body and suspension would be nice.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
body kit + lifted look?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
How much clearance are you needing? You can get a little by changing to 205/50/16 tires.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
body kit + lifted look?
Sounds like a personal opinion. My opinion is that lowered vehicles look idiotic.

Btrthnezr3The change in tires might be good enough. Just need a little scrape clearance here for uneven roads and I think the look of the Fit as it comes is wimpy in the tiny wheel/low area.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
MONSTER FIT!!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Bohemian "My opinion is that lowered vehicles look idiotic."
Thank goodness that's only your opinion.
Obviously you don't know the advantages of lowering. It's not all about looks.

Anyways....as for your problem. That's an easy fix, you should have bought a CR-V. Quick go to the dealership and trade in the Fit.

better yet....

P.S. I'm just messing with you...so don't get mad.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 07-07-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Bohemian "My opinion is that lowered vehicles look idiotic."
Thank goodness that's only your opinion.
Obviously you don't know the advantages of lowering. It's not all about looks.

Anyways....as for your problem. That's an easy fix, you should have bought a CR-V. Quick go to the dealership and trade in the Fit.
I had a 1st gen '98 CR-V that I got rid of for the '09 Fit. Don't get me wrong CR-V was nice, no complaints. It was just time for something different. (traded it in on a '10 CR-V for the wife.)

Now as to a problem.
Really don't have one, I just like it a bit more off the ground. I would be happy with larger tires. As I said, I can't stand the look of a lowered car and low profile tires. They look like toys that will break.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bohemian
I had a 1st gen '98 CR-V that I got rid of for the '09 Fit. Don't get me wrong CR-V was nice, no complaints. It was just time for something different. (traded it in on a '10 CR-V for the wife.)

Now as to a problem.
Really don't have one, I just like it a bit more off the ground. I would be happy with larger tires. As I said, I can't stand the look of a lowered car and low profile tires. They look like toys that will break.
you's trollin

Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Bohemian

Now as to a problem.
maybe choosing a Fit SPORT wasnt such a good idea. maybe you would have been better off with a Crosstour or a subaru or an SUV.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
I am probably the only one here that has put a lift kit on a FWD vehicle and can assure you that it was almost as bad of an idea or worse than slamming the same vehicle with Eibachs... If your were able to find or have threaded adapters made the would fit on the end of the piston shaft to extend it you would be able to use coil spring spacers to do what you want to do.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Wow, Just asked about a small lift, not a monster truck conversion. I have had all kinds of cars in my life, from a triumph spitfire, full size pickup, to a toyota truck lifted 4" body 4" suspension with 33" tires. I do not want to off road or crush cars with the fit. I want a economy sports car but I don't want a ground scraper. I simply asked about the market and solutions to get a "small" raise off the uneven road surface. I know the majority think ground scrapers are hot, but I am not of that mind set. I will not apologise for my personal opinion or hide it because I am in a minority.

Thanks to the ones who gave intelligent options for my question. A little larger tire might get what I need without much expense or modification.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
you's trollin
i detect a stage 5 troll

Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Like it has been stated, a taller tire would be ideal for lifting your Fit. Using this site as a tire dimension base, the factory size Fit Sport tire (185/55R16) is approximately 24 inches in diameter. If you where to get 205/50s, the tire's diameter would be approximately 24.1 inches according to the calculator; this isn't too much of a lift. On the other hand, if you where to get 195/55s the tire's diameter would be approximately 24.4 inches; which is not really much taller than the other two tires, but is the tallest of the three.

Also, I do not know if a 195/55 tire would rub the fender liner or not; but if it does, you can simply tuck it to gain some clearance.

If this isn't enough, you may want to consider getting air shocks, finding some coil overs that will raise the car, or be more careful when you are in a situation where your Fit's at risk for scrapping/bottoming out. Hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I like Hootie, he deserves a rep and I can't give him another one for posting helpful information.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
I repped him. Good answer.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the rep folks.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stevens24
I repped him. Good answer.
Your on my future rep list. Thanks

Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
Like it has been stated, a taller tire would be ideal for lifting your Fit. Using this site as a tire dimension base, the factory size Fit Sport tire (185/55R16) is approximately 24 inches in diameter. If you where to get 205/50s, the tire's diameter would be approximately 24.1 inches according to the calculator; this isn't too much of a lift. On the other hand, if you where to get 195/55s the tire's diameter would be approximately 24.4 inches; which is not really much taller than the other two tires, but is the tallest of the three.

Also, I do not know if a 195/55 tire would rub the fender liner or not; but if it does, you can simply tuck it to gain some clearance.
I've also considered 205/55R16's for the bump in height as well as making the gearing a bit taller. 205/55's would be 24.9", so almost a full inch taller. I don't know that I'm willing to roll the dice (especially if I mail order the tires) and risk rubbing by increasing both width and diameter by that much.

I know it's not the usual solution, but most people lower cars to reduce the gap betwen the fender and tire. Installing a taller tire reduces that gap as well, but without the ride harshness penalty imposed by lowering (stiffer shocks and springs required to compensate for less available suspension travel). You also get to worry less about scraping than stock, much less lowered. So while it may not be the popular choice, taller tires and/or increased ride height definitely offers some advantages.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
One inch in diameter is a half inch in radius so that is how much it will raise the car and the amount of distance further from the center of the hub the tire tread is.... The added width is 3/4" so 3/8" clearance space on the inside of the fender well is needed with the steering wheel turned to the maximum in both left and right positions.... The problem is that tires aren't aways sized as they are marked so you are right not to want to order with out checking out the tire in person...

Old 07-08-2010, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
I've also considered 205/55R16's for the bump in height as well as making the gearing a bit taller. 205/55's would be 24.9", so almost a full inch taller. I don't know that I'm willing to roll the dice (especially if I mail order the tires) and risk rubbing by increasing both width and diameter by that much.

I know it's not the usual solution, but most people lower cars to reduce the gap betwen the fender and tire. Installing a taller tire reduces that gap as well, but without the ride harshness penalty imposed by lowering (stiffer shocks and springs required to compensate for less available suspension travel). You also get to worry less about scraping than stock, much less lowered. So while it may not be the popular choice, taller tires and/or increased ride height definitely offers some advantages.
There is a device that is designed for figuring out what size wheel and tire combos would work for your application, but I do not know what it is called. Basically what it does it is adjust at multiple points to your desired tire size, wheel size, and offset so you can literally spin the device and check the clearences once the suspension is at its set ride height. Try checking some tire shops, your best bet is the ones that do nothing but aftermarket wheel fitmets.

Quick Reply: Lift kit