2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing splash panel under engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Missing splash panel under engine?

The area under my engine, near the oil pan is open. It is surrounded by a black plastic panel. I noticed that the panel has connections points that could be used to connect a piece that would cover the oil pan area. So my question is, am I missing a part of the panel?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by hjb613
The area under my engine, near the oil pan is open. It is surrounded by a black plastic panel. I noticed that the panel has connections points that could be used to connect a piece that would cover the oil pan area. So my question is, am I missing a part of the panel?
I noticed this too when I was changing the oil and asked myself the same question. Interested to hear what others have found.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
this stuff happens more than you think, if you take out the glove box and take a look at the hing part ( one side has a hole and the other does not) the side withe the hole looks like honda wanted to put something in there but thay never did, same with the "missing splash gaurd". i see this on a lot of cars. its like a post production thing but never made it to the end. i hope this helps. PS..... if you guys have something there than let me know cus then im missing something!!!!!!!!s

Old 07-13-2010, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
when i bought my fit, there was supposed to be a dealer swap. i was told by the sales rep the swap would be delayed because the car had a "missing panel."

i then simply drove the extra miles to the dealer that had the car and bought it from them. when i asked about a "missing panel," they had no idea what i was talking about.

i have always wondered what the real story was... and i still dont know.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, I had the panel on mine,and now it is missing. I know this because I change my own oil. It was held on by push pin type fasteners and had access hole to drain the oil and a square hole just under the flter. It was really flimsy and fastners were cheap,that I wondered how they held it on. I drove in very deep snow this winter and assumed it got swiped off by the snow. Also I had my car state inspected,and the firmware for the mileage meter corrected just before it snowed. It may have been removed by the dealer,and I never noticed it until the next oil change a month later. I am unsure it was removed by the dealer,or lost in the snow,as one clip base is still there. Doesn't seem to effect anything ,and makes it easier & faster to change the oil. I figured getting it replaced was going to be very expensive for what it is,and risk the chance of loosing another{if that is what happened},so I didn't bother replacing it. If the dealer removed it,maybe it was because of heat issues,or they simply fell off they knew that and removed it before it became road trash.

PaFitter

Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by PaFitter
Ok, I had the panel on mine,and now it is missing. I know this because I change my own oil. It was held on by push pin type fasteners and had access hole to drain the oil and a square hole just under the flter. It was really flimsy and fastners were cheap,that I wondered how they held it on. I drove in very deep snow this winter and assumed it got swiped off by the snow. Also I had my car state inspected,and the firmware for the mileage meter corrected just before it snowed. It may have been removed by the dealer,and I never noticed it until the next oil change a month later. I am unsure it was removed by the dealer,or lost in the snow,as one clip base is still there. Doesn't seem to effect anything ,and makes it easier & faster to change the oil. I figured getting it replaced was going to be very expensive for what it is,and risk the chance of loosing another{if that is what happened},so I didn't bother replacing it. If the dealer removed it,maybe it was because of heat issues,or they simply fell off they knew that and removed it before it became road trash.

PaFitter
Interesting, so there is supposed to be a panel there. Oh well, maybe mine was stolen by the snow last winter or (more likely) was never there to begin with. Doubt that it makes much difference, as there is still a panel along the front underside of the bumper that would streamline the bottom fairly well.

Anyone else notice a panel in the centre?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I would think this is an important thing, keeping.debris out of the engine compartment. I take delivery of my 2010 sport tomorrow and one of the first things I'm going to do is figure out a way to cover this.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by TheSchmett
I would think this is an important thing, keeping.debris out of the engine compartment. I take delivery of my 2010 sport tomorrow and one of the first things I'm going to do is figure out a way to cover this.
I haven't looked under my ride, but the FSM for the 2010 FIT shows a splash shield that connects to the front bumper and the wheel wells and nothing 'under' the engine.

I don't think it was ever there.

No need to figure anything out. The engine bay in the FIT is very well protected - it's the A/C condenser that a stone can take out.