Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   1 year & 38MPG (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/58259-1-year-38mpg.html)

Black3sr 08-21-2010 03:00 PM

I do it the old fashioned way with Notepad.

One year - 16,000km 1100L $1020 38.5 mpg(Cdn gal) or 7.3l/100km. Somewhere around 32 per US gal

Maybe 50-70% hwy at 70mph. Currently I am enjoying D3 around town. Sure to use a bit more. My throttle controller goes in in a couple of weeks.:hyper::hyper::hyper:

popoki 08-22-2010 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal (Post 901023)
popoki Welcome to the forum. What's your ride? MT AT Sport Base? Set up a sig under User CP. You will see the MPG slowly improve the first 1K miles - patience, it will get better. After about 600 miles you can stop 'babying' it and begin to enjoy things and proud MPG's will be a part of the fun. That digital MPG thing can really help you, get to know it.

Thanks Krimson. I bought a AT Sport, gonna take care of the sig soon. Gonna stop babying it so much, right under 300 miles right now. I'm just gonna drive the way I would drive, then open her up a little on the highway after the 600 mark.

weeladdie 08-22-2010 03:40 PM

Year to date I'm averaging 38.2mpg, mostly highway.

specboy 09-13-2010 02:03 PM

Bumping my own thread.

I added an Excel/OpenOffice.org Calc Spreadsheet to the original post for those who wish to download and calculate their own fuel economy.

~SB

Black01 09-13-2010 02:36 PM

I'm impressed that you kept track of your mpg for the whole year. I never thought someone would even attempt since its a long wait.

specboy 09-13-2010 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Black01 (Post 910007)
I'm impressed that you kept track of your mpg for the whole year. I never thought someone would even attempt since its a long wait.

It's easy when you have an App for your phone that does the work for you.

They say Necessity was the mother of invention... Nooooo... Laziness is the mother of invention. why else would we have a remote for a TV? :)

I use Windows Mobile 2003/WM5.0/6.0/6.1/6.5 and an app called GasUpLogger. there are other ones for Android, & iOS and likely something for BB (although I'm not sure). any spreadsheet will do. !GASP! Some use pen & paper. - not me. don't touch the stuff. :)

~SB

mav238 09-14-2010 12:46 AM

Well, 38 mpg is nothing really to boast about if the car is taken mainly on the freeway. Most commuters do a lot of city driving, and like myself in Seattle, the freeway is also pretty much jammed most of the way.
My average gas consumption is ~ 32 mpg, 70% city, 30% (uncongested) freeway. If I take the Fit on an uncongested freeway, and no incline, flat... I can get around 40 mpg.

555sexydrive 09-14-2010 02:44 AM

I've been logging mine through Excel since purchasing in January, each fill up gets recorded and I set up calculations where I just put in the amount of fuel added and my current ODO km reading and out it spits that tanks km/l, km/g, mpg and lifetime gallons and liters filled, km/l, km/g and mpg readings. I did not include my first fill up, because when I left the lot and went to fill up, the car at that point had 14km total on it and it took 9 gallons to fill it. Calculate that and my mpg for that tank would make a Dodge Viper SMILE happily because it would be just .966mpg. hahaha

In my, 3 days short of, 8 months of ownership (as of 10 Sep, last fillup), my average is 29.36mpg or 12.48km/l with a total of 9598km. Highest ever tank was 40.18mpg and lowest was 23.39mpg. I don't drive casually except for when I'm forced to just sit in traffic, which happens way too often here and my throttle controller lives on SP7 at all times.

specboy 09-14-2010 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by mav238 (Post 910290)
Well, 38 mpg is nothing really to boast about if the car is taken mainly on the freeway. Most commuters do a lot of city driving, and like myself in Seattle, the freeway is also pretty much jammed most of the way.
My average gas consumption is ~ 32 mpg, 70% city, 30% (uncongested) freeway. If I take the Fit on an uncongested freeway, and no incline, flat... I can get around 40 mpg.

I'd agree if the car is on the highway. In VT here, The closest stretch of highway is about 12 miles away and only 10 miles long. (Rt 4 from Rutland VT to NY). Besides that, everything else I travel is 2 lane road. I think the fit's had at most 800 miles of Highway over the lifetime of the vehicle (17.5K miles) - about 5% is highway. My commute is Hilly and windy roads with small 25mph towns, stop signs, and right now, lots of construction.

I'm happy with 38, especially since I don't baby the car through the twisties.

~SB

mav238 09-15-2010 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by specboy (Post 910363)
I'd agree if the car is on the highway. In VT here, The closest stretch of highway is about 12 miles away and only 10 miles long. (Rt 4 from Rutland VT to NY). Besides that, everything else I travel is 2 lane road. I think the fit's had at most 800 miles of Highway over the lifetime of the vehicle (17.5K miles) - about 5% is highway. My commute is Hilly and windy roads with small 25mph towns, stop signs, and right now, lots of construction.

I'm happy with 38, especially since I don't baby the car through the twisties.

~SB

ok, VT, do you have to sit in traffic jammed roads or is this pretty much those small town roads where car traffic is light? I can't imagine going through small roads with heavy traffic and getting 38 mpg. Even the EPA rating does not get that high for city driving.

specboy 09-15-2010 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by mav238 (Post 910677)
ok, VT, do you have to sit in traffic jammed roads or is this pretty much those small town roads where car traffic is light? I can't imagine going through small roads with heavy traffic and getting 38 mpg. Even the EPA rating does not get that high for city driving.

It ain't Jersey & it Ain't Los Angeles for traffic but there's more traffic (including truck traffic) than one would think because there are so few roads here. 2x-3x/week I'm also travelling through Rutland which usually means 20-25 stoplights each trip.

I'm extremely happy with 38 since the EPA is rating the car for 35 highway alone and mine is combined over the lifetime of the vehicle.

I see you are in Seattle (or around). What's your current economy like and are you keeping track? (I'd be interested to see what Northwest US economy is like VS NorthEast)

~SB

mav238 09-15-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by specboy (Post 910714)
It ain't Jersey & it Ain't Los Angeles for traffic but there's more traffic (including truck traffic) than one would think because there are so few roads here. 2x-3x/week I'm also travelling through Rutland which usually means 20-25 stoplights each trip.

I'm extremely happy with 38 since the EPA is rating the car for 35 highway alone and mine is combined over the lifetime of the vehicle.

I see you are in Seattle (or around). What's your current economy like and are you keeping track? (I'd be interested to see what Northwest US economy is like VS NorthEast)

~SB

I am getting ~ 32 mpg mixed city and hwy driving. I think this is reasonable. At 38 mpg in the city driving, you are getting way higher than what the EPA rating is for this vehicle. Either you are running on some kind of super efficient gasoline, or you are calculating it wrong. 38 mpg is higher than the hwy rating for this vehicle.

Shockwave199 09-15-2010 10:23 PM

It may be that bi-ways are actually working for you. Traffic and trucks forcing you to drive at slower speeds can actually do a hell of a job increasing your mpg's. I'm not talking sitting in traffic. I'm talking about being forced to go at, near, or under the speed limit most times. The Fit absolutely LOVES a near constant 40mph. It's the sweet spot for this car, outside of pure open highway which it does exceptional with. If you can swing that often, your gonna get great mileage. When I'm forced to go at a slower pace because of traffic flow, I'm always amazed to see my mpg's go straight up. If I have an open road where I can let my foot get heavier and my fun factor win over, I get worse mpg's. When it comes to sensible, speed limit driving in the Fit, it's a challenge for me. It's just TOO much fun to drive on it. And most times I seem to be in a hurry too. All that combined still gives me very respectable mpg's. Not 38, but sometimes close and more often than not- around 33 to 34.......if I behave.

Dan

specboy 09-16-2010 07:51 AM

MAV - Trust me... the gas up here isn't super fuel efficient... I'm using Shell & Citgo regularly and feel free to check my calculations above. All the stats are in my Original Post - even an excel sheet. - I'm pretty confident in the calculations... (bio - Math major, Comp Sci & Car Geek, been calculating for 20+ years) I think I'm good.

Shockwave - Getting "stuck" in constant speed traffic definitely does help out with the economy but I'm not usually in that situation. I have a tend to pass when I have the option. Vermont laws lend themselves to passing more than most states because it's legal to pass on a double yellow line here (as long as it is straight, 500'+, visible conditions, etc... - Old Tractor law still on the books.) There's also a few "fun" roads on my way to work that definitely do not help with fuel economy. Rt 73 Between Brandon & Sudburry is FUN as it is twisties along the river, then more twisties up and over the mountain. Heck, All of 73 is Fun - 1000% worth it the 2nd weekend in Oct. for those leaf-peepers - just don't peep & drive.

Right now the construction SUCKS big time as it is everywhere and bitchzilla, queen of the stop/slow sign (with a mouth that would make a trucker blush), seems to be stopping every car she doesn't like while she takes her smoke break.

All in all, the fits been great economy-wise but I do agree with shockwave that, in general, the conditions seem to be prone to higher economy as I was regularly getting 26mpg in the Altima (VQ35 3.5SE) and 33mpg in the GS-R. All of those were above the combined ratings for those cars (but not as high above as the fit... it's above the highway by 3mpg (I wonder what the GS-R would be rated on today's scale).

~SB

Krimson_Cardnal 09-16-2010 09:37 AM

I'm right behind you SB - possibly a bit ahead ;-)

I'm seeing 40MPG at this point and I can only believe it boils down to my driving profile. I'm kicking 9K on the ODO and feel my FIT has finally 'broken in'. Remember that thread floating around here on that?

I can't say I baby the car - not hardly, but I also respect the throttle and keep and eye in the MPG gauge. The first 3K miles only saw the MPG's slowly increase. At first I was sure I had a 36MPG ride, but it's only improved.

What most consider city driving is not in my realm for the most part. From what I've seen here and experienced in my own driving, traffic lights every block will kill the MPG in a Fit. In a rural/suburban world, however, the Fit returns great economy.

I keep looking at the fuel cost/mile and smile_;)_ and I thank you for showing me.

mav238 09-16-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by specboy (Post 911074)
MAV - Trust me... the gas up here isn't super fuel efficient... I'm using Shell & Citgo regularly and feel free to check my calculations above. All the stats are in my Original Post - even an excel sheet. - I'm pretty confident in the calculations... (bio - Math major, Comp Sci & Car Geek, been calculating for 20+ years) I think I'm good.

Shockwave - Getting "stuck" in constant speed traffic definitely does help out with the economy but I'm not usually in that situation. I have a tend to pass when I have the option. Vermont laws lend themselves to passing more than most states because it's legal to pass on a double yellow line here (as long as it is straight, 500'+, visible conditions, etc... - Old Tractor law still on the books.) There's also a few "fun" roads on my way to work that definitely do not help with fuel economy. Rt 73 Between Brandon & Sudburry is FUN as it is twisties along the river, then more twisties up and over the mountain. Heck, All of 73 is Fun - 1000% worth it the 2nd weekend in Oct. for those leaf-peepers - just don't peep & drive.

Right now the construction SUCKS big time as it is everywhere and bitchzilla, queen of the stop/slow sign (with a mouth that would make a trucker blush), seems to be stopping every car she doesn't like while she takes her smoke break.

All in all, the fits been great economy-wise but I do agree with shockwave that, in general, the conditions seem to be prone to higher economy as I was regularly getting 26mpg in the Altima (VQ35 3.5SE) and 33mpg in the GS-R. All of those were above the combined ratings for those cars (but not as high above as the fit... it's above the highway by 3mpg (I wonder what the GS-R would be rated on today's scale).

~SB

Is your Fit std transmission?

mav238 09-16-2010 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by specboy (Post 911074)

~SB

I am not doubting your sincerity and honesty here with your numbers. It just does not jive with what the manufacturer is putting out for the ratings. You indicate most of your driving is city like, and you do a lot of rev-happy passing, and yet you get 38 mpg. But the fit with manual trans in the city is only rated @ 28 mpg, that is a 10 mpg difference... which is very significant.

I am getting 32 mpg 70% city/30% hwy. if I drive on the freeway only, I can get 40 mpg consistently. I don't drive aggressively and use only shell and chevron gasoline, 87 grade.

specboy 09-16-2010 03:30 PM

If I go by my last car (which had an average MPH gauge as well as the avg mpg meter - since my driving really hasn't changed that much as far as routine is concerned), my avg mph is about 35-40mph overall. i'm not in stop/go traffic like in NYC or NJ but the traffic here keeps me down in speed. I'd say i'm likely in the 45% city style driving (due to construction) and 55% country road. (35% city/65% country during the colder months - less construction). I practically never get highway style driving as I'm usually not much above 50 or 55mph. I'm shifting often between 4th and 5th and when I get to the fun corners, i'm in 3rd.

~SB

Krimson_Cardnal 09-16-2010 03:43 PM

MAV check around through out the forum. Most everyone driving a Fit is seeing above EPA numbers. The government changed the way they rate MPG a few years back, one can only wonder why. My guess is that folks are now tickled to see their car doing better than the 'regulators' say they should. Might also have something to do with the car lobbyists putting the pressure on - who knows and I really don't care.

My FIT has been superb in the delivering great mileage. I started driving my 2010 Sport MT in April. The MPG's were okay, but not what I thought they should be. I was thinking I had a solid 36MPG car. To my delight the MPG's just kept improving.

Interesting thing was I saw better MPG in my local driving than on the pike.

My first long drive [800miles] saw 37MPG. This was a month after I started driving it.

Last week I did the same trip for the third time and am averaging 40MPG. My daily driving usually keeps me clear of city conditions and that 40MPG average is still good, local or pike driving.

The best test I have had for city conditions was a trip down to Queens in NYC. Intense city conditions. I saw 35MPG after two days of blaring horns and gridlocked intersections. Glad I don't live there_:D

It all depends on how you drive it. Easy on the throttle, don't try too hard to make 'er go fast any quicker than it really wants to. The Fit just needs a bit more time to get up to speed - and it really isn't that much with all things considered.

I enjoy the high revs slowly - if that makes any sense. It's what makes my FIT fun.

mav238 09-16-2010 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal (Post 911250)
MAV check around through out the forum. Most everyone driving a Fit is seeing above EPA numbers. The government changed the way they rate MPG a few years back, one can only wonder why. My guess is that folks are now tickled to see their car doing better than the 'regulators' say they should. Might also have something to do with the car lobbyists putting the pressure on - who knows and I really don't care.

My FIT has been superb in the delivering great mileage. I started driving my 2010 Sport MT in April. The MPG's were okay, but not what I thought they should be. I was thinking I had a solid 36MPG car. To my delight the MPG's just kept improving.

Interesting thing was I saw better MPG in my local driving than on the pike.

My first long drive [800miles] saw 37MPG. This was a month after I started driving it.

Last week I did the same trip for the third time and am averaging 40MPG. My daily driving usually keeps me clear of city conditions and that 40MPG average is still good, local or pike driving.

The best test I have had for city conditions was a trip down to Queens in NYC. Intense city conditions. I saw 35MPG after two days of blaring horns and gridlocked intersections. Glad I don't live there_:D

It all depends on how you drive it. Easy on the throttle, don't try too hard to make 'er go fast any quicker than it really wants to. The Fit just needs a bit more time to get up to speed - and it really isn't that much with all things considered.

I enjoy the high revs slowly - if that makes any sense. It's what makes my FIT fun.

I don't drive my Fit hard at all. Although, I have an AT, and may be that makes a difference. Also, I am only at 2000 miles.

In any case, driving at 30-40 mph consistently is not the same as driving in grid lock traffic like here in Seattle. In this kind of traffic, I am getting around ~ 32-33 mpg consistently.
I mean literally, I sit in my Fit, crossing the 8 mile long freeway in 1 hour. Go figure. And I am still getting 32 mpg.

So in essence, it makes me wonder what your (SB post) city driving means... If I drive at 30-40 mph consistently, with no grid lock traffic to traverse, I think I can hit 38 mpg as well... so I guess my issue is with your definition of city driving...