2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual or automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Manual or automatic?

I just brought home a new 2010 Honda Fit, with manual transmission. It was my first choice and was pleasantly surprised that out of about 15 Fit's on the lot, 14 were manual and only 1 automatic.

What do you drive? Why? I have the theory that just not that many know how or want to drive a manual; personally i love the control and am willing to deal with the annoyance of manual transmission in traffic. I'm hoping that it's just not many people know how as that means no one can steal my car since they couldn't drive it away Being in my mid 20's, I'm surprised no one I know other than family knows how to drive a stick.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
We have a manual at home, but honda spoiled the M/T by putting too short gears.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
In the US most people don't want the "hassle" of a manual transmission. I've driven manuals for the last 30+ years, both in RHD (UK) & LHD (USA). With the Fit, I went to the automatic because 30+ yrs of pushing down a clutch pedal did my left knee in. But the paddle shifts make having the autobox a little more fun! Enjoy "stirring your own" I do miss it.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
I just traded in my 2007 for a 2010 and again it's a manual. Can't imagine driving anything else. Amazing that while I was looking in the Phoenix area, only one dealership had a manual transmission......that admitted it I guess. And I'm extremely glad it wasn't red.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
I agree that in America, too many people just don't care to learn how to drive a manual. Most want that free hand so they can text on their phone. >.>

However, MTs are hard to come by, depending on where you are. When I was shopping for mine, I managed to find one just as it was on its way to our shores.

As for who knows how to drive an MT... yeah, not many of my friends know how either... the few that do, I haven't seen in nearly a decade (wonder what they're doing).

Old 08-31-2010, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2007 AT, when I was shopping for it everyone had manuals. After I bought mine I read allot of posts for people searching for manuals. Learning manual never came up when I was learning to drive, it wasn't an option in drivers ed & at the time I didn't know anyone with a manual. AT was what was available and the norm. I started learning stick from a friend in an old Ford Focus, but it died a few weeks later. I love my AT but want to learn stick eventually because it's fun & there are allot of older cars that are not AT that I want to drive.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 AM
14 manuals and 1 auto?? I thought 1 out of every 10 was a MT

Old 08-31-2010, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
I went through three dealers. I wanted a AT Sport. Dealer one (McGrath Honda in St. Charles, IL.) only had 1 and sold it, same dealer had a few base AT models, they also refused my trade in, I wanted $200 to scrap it. Dealer number 2 was Schaumburg, IL. they said they had more than a few manuals, the sales guy even offered to teach me how to drive stick. I wasn't interested. Dealer number 3 was Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake, IL. they didn't have any AT in stock, but were allot better at letting me know the delivery date than McGrath was. I bought my '07 Milano Red AT Sport in late May 2006.

Edit.

All of the dealers were good & I go to McGrath for maintenance, Crystal Lake just ended up being the one that I bought from.

Last edited by squidmonkey; 08-31-2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: didn't want to sound like I was complaining about dealers.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:20 AM
Hello. I waited months for a 2010 Black Sport MT to materialize anywhere in the state of California, and it was absolutely worth it. Stick is for enthusiasts only.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
now while I enjoy MT, the fit feels like a tease with it. I opted for the AT not only for health reasons (i have lower leg problems), but i use the free hand to run the dial of the annoying stock head unit with my ipod

Old 08-31-2010, 07:32 AM
Personally, I know how to drive a stick and my last few cars were manual- A Honda CRX and a few Saab 900s. I love the feel of a stick in most cases, but I guess I am an exception. When I did driver's ed, there was zero training on stick so the only reason I learned is because I wanted to and my dad got a Camry with a MT and was willing to let me learn on his gearbox.

The strength of my affinity for the MT has waned recently though. Part of it is the nuisance in traffic and part of it was that I found better places to rest my hand after I started dating my wife.

My wife on the other hand never had the training I had for a MT. I’ve taught her a bit, but she’s just not comfortable driving one yet. That’s another thing that I love so much about the Fit Sport- she can have her fully automatic vehicle when she needs to drive it, but I get the added control and fun of selecting the gears myself when I want. Brilliant!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 AM
imho the gears are to short on the MT first feels awkward some times

Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
I got manual because I wanted to have some fun . I don't have a lot of hills and what not where I live so it's usually not too bad...I can see me hating myself if I bought a MT and lived in a place like San Fran though!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Reasons for manual IMO:
1. more fun to drive!
2. Cheaper it's like $800 less than an Auto
3. Lighter I think it's like 80lbs lighter than a Auto
4. I think I can attain better Mileage than Auto, by getting to a higher gear quicker.
5. less people can drive it.. this might be a good deterrent to some thieves. And also some friends that you'd rather not have drive it

Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
This comes down to a personal choice. But here are some facts:

*Manuals are lighter
*Manuals have less parts
*Manuals cost $1000 less MSRP.
*Manuals cause less parasitic drivetrain loss
*Chicks dig manuals

But what it comes down to, is buy what you like. If you *hate* driving manual, why in the world would you spend $15,000+++ on something you hate? Buy what you love and enjoy it!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
I won't drive an automatic - just hate them - but I will say that the Fit's manual, once you work your way past the shifter assembly, could use some work. I think one of the posters above said it best with the word "awkward." After driving my friends Cooper S with the getrag 6 speed this past weekend, it made it even more obvious. It feels like my left foot is connected to some sort of a clutch operating mechanism (clutch delay valve mostly likely) but it ain't like what I've experienced in every single other car I've owned.

It's sort of like a manual for people who don't know how to drive manuals.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
I've owned nine MT cars here and in France, both American, Japanese, and European.

Came back stateside and was so sick of shifting that I bought an auto. 15 years and four family cars later I was still driving an auto. When buying the Fit I thought "hey, a manual might be fun, and it'll keep other family members from messing with it." (I address my self with "hey" a lot during my inner dialogs.)

The MT Fit I drove felt "awkward." I'm sure there's a learning curve, but it was so different from any other MT car I drove 15 years before that it wasn't fun. Rev hang, imprecise shifter mechanism (felt like stuff was bending), and a clutch that had a mind of its own. I haven't driven another MT lately so maybe they're all like this now.

I like the 5 speed auto. It doesn't deserve the label "slush box." It shifts crisply and when it should. I don't feel the need to override its decisions (good thing as mine didn't come with shifty paddles). And the EPA ratings are higher than the MT.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by ninja.nuggets.9
I'm hoping that it's just not many people know how as that means no one can steal my car since they couldn't drive it away
Most car thieves can drive manual. Think about it, they steal cars for a living. But no one is going to steal your Fit, unless you put a built up K series in it or something. They're not wanted for their parts like other Hondas (except for some reason, the Sport model wheels).

But welcome! There's actually a LOT of manual transmission drivers here, as the manual transmission naturally lends itself to the tuner crowd. So there's plenty of helpful advice around here.

<- drives M/T

Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by LeafEater
Reasons for manual IMO:
5. less people can drive it..
Ha, ha... like my wife. I don't like to share my Fit.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by ninja.nuggets.9
I just brought home a new 2010 Honda Fit, with manual transmission. It was my first choice and was pleasantly surprised that out of about 15 Fit's on the lot, 14 were manual and only 1 automatic.

What do you drive? Why? I have the theory that just not that many know how or want to drive a manual; personally i love the control and am willing to deal with the annoyance of manual transmission in traffic. I'm hoping that it's just not many people know how as that means no one can steal my car since they couldn't drive it away Being in my mid 20's, I'm surprised no one I know other than family knows how to drive a stick.
Only auto's were a 74 Impala 4dr and two full size Cadillacs. They were tankers and fun to drive. Manual's all the way else wise. Vehicle control. All the trick stability goodies set with the auto crowd - not necessarily the Fit crowd, however.

I enjoy the Fit's MT. Still learning the rpm curve. Taking time. I feel the love, just need to find it.

Welcome to the group - a good world, get around and post on.

K_C_

Quick Reply: Manual or automatic?