2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone successfully retrofitted a digital speedometer into the 2009/2010 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Has anyone successfully retrofitted a digital speedometer into the 2009/2010 Fit?

If I could add one single feature to my 2010 Fit, it would be a digital speedometer. I find the analog speedometer difficult to read without taking my eyes off the road for too long, especially when (as in the Fit) they are labeled at intervals of 20 MPH instead of 10. I know opinions on this matter differ, but I can read the digital readouts far more easily and quickly.

So, has anyone successfully retrofitted a digital speedometer into their 2nd-generation Honda Fit? I don't mean a ScanGauge or similar device that shows a tiny speed reading along with other OBD-II data; I mean a full-size digital speedometer like the ones from Dakota Digital or similar vendors. Or what about other Honda versions? I did some searching on the new Insight and found that it has the same VSS pulse rate (4000 per mile) as the Fit does, at least according to my radio diagnostic reading (my Fit radio in diag mode shows ~66 Hz at 60 MPH, which calculates to 4000 pulses/mile). And I found a source for a digital speedometer from a wrecked 2010 Insight. I'm thinking that if I used the 07LAJ-PT3020A test harness to tap into the VSS, I might be able to hook it up without having to cut any wires. Does anyone know where the test harness hooks up in the Fit, and where I could find the pin-out diagram for the Insight speedometer?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 PM
How about just buying a cheap GPS unit?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM
The GPS speedometers on eBay only support a heads-up display, which I don't want. They are not designed for direct view. As for a regular GPS unit - is there an option to make the speedometer fill the majority of the screen, or just a small indicator in the corner? I want a speedometer that is prominent and easy to read. I like the idea of retrofitting from an Insight because it is a Honda part and the blue backlighting matches what is used in the Fit.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
lol. if you are so concerned with how fast you are going on the road, just follow adjacent vehicles. i dont even really look at my speedo. i have it all calculated in my head. my max speed is set at 80mph, broken up into four parts, the essential numbers are the ones that count. 1/4 of the way is 25-30, 2/4 = 40-55, 3/4 = 60-75, 4/4 = 80-beyond. due to my steering wheel position and my height i cant read any numbers between 40-100 on my gauges. all i need to know is where the needle is and how fast the traffic around me is going.

as for your insight speedo mod... sounds like a time consuming alternative rather than you just learning to read the analog speedo.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Thank you for the suggestion, but I'd rather adapt the car to my own needs rather than adapting myself to the car. It's just my personality.

I understand that people here might not be familiar with the Insight hardware info, but does anyone at least know where to hook up the 07LAJ-PT3020A test harness? I think it's probably somewhere under the hood, but I don't have a service manual and do not know where to look. I'm also going to need to figure out a way to route wires from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment (on top of the dash) without drilling holes. Is there anyone who has this information?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
I use the Android app "GPS Speedo" on my windshield mounted DRoid, full screen digital speed readout, very accurate works nice, even gives you your heading

Old 09-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Josh Set your self up with one of these: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...d-pointer.html and you'll get what you're looking for. My Garmin nuvi is mounted in the drivers quarter window, dongle hangs off the OBD2 port - perfect set up for me. No drilling fishing wires or froggin around trying to make things work right.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Cool On my Garmin...265W

(Purchased on special from Buy.com $130/Free Shipping) (Has Bluetooth-without would be 255W)

It mounts up on the dash between the gauges and the vents...

It also displays speed limits and your speed

Or if you click on the speed limit it will bring it up bigger

The Speed limit display when bigger is about the size of a quarter, or about twice the size of the markings on the Fit Speedometer.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Josh Set your self up with one of these: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...d-pointer.html and you'll get what you're looking for. My Garmin nuvi is mounted in the drivers quarter window, dongle hangs off the OBD2 port - perfect set up for me. No drilling fishing wires or froggin around trying to make things work right.
That looks like a promising idea - thanks for the suggestion. Do you know what is the cheapest navigation unit that will work with the EcoRoute HD? Also, are there any EcoRoute-compatible navi units that mount in a Double-DIN opening?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
it would have really been cool, but overkill on our econobox, but i would have really enjoyed the porche set up...where the rpm is right in the middle and speed is digi

Old 09-04-2010, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
The Android GPS Speedo display (not my phone)

Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
(Purchased on special from Buy.com $130/Free Shipping) (Has Bluetooth-without would be 255W)

It mounts up on the dash between the gauges and the vents...

It also displays speed limits and your speed

Or if you click on the speed limit it will bring it up bigger

The Speed limit display when bigger is about the size of a quarter, or about twice the size of the markings on the Fit Speedometer.
Blackbeard, how does that mount stay on like that? Is that the standard configuration, or did you customize it somehow? I have a Garmin Street Pilot and need to use a bean bag mount, which is a pain. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Smile It...

Originally Posted by blazej
Blackbeard, how does that mount stay on like that? Is that the standard configuration, or did you customize it somehow? I have a Garmin Street Pilot and need to use a bean bag mount, which is a pain. Thanks!
Came with a flat disc with double sided adhesive on the bottom with no instructions.

I downloaded the manual online and it said it was a dashboard disc.

I had already figured it out and installed it before knowing officially what it was and how to use it.

The disc is just bigger than the windshield mount cup, and I just attach it to that disc rather than the windshield.

Here it is on the Garmin website:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1268

Old 09-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Josh G.
That looks like a promising idea - thanks for the suggestion. Do you know what is the cheapest navigation unit that will work with the EcoRoute HD? Also, are there any EcoRoute-compatible navi units that mount in a Double-DIN opening?
I purchased the EcoRouteHD unit and a Nuvi 1490T (for the bigger screen).

I've had quite a bit of trouble with the units not being able to communicate with each other.

The EcoRoute has been replaced once, and the the Nuvi twice.

I'm waiting for my third Nuvi to arrive ATM, and hope the problems are gone.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by weeladdie
I purchased the EcoRouteHD unit and a Nuvi 1490T (for the bigger screen).

I've had quite a bit of trouble with the units not being able to communicate with each other.

The EcoRoute has been replaced once, and the the Nuvi twice.

I'm waiting for my third Nuvi to arrive ATM, and hope the problems are gone.
I've got the same set-up. I leave the dongle in-place and haven't had any trouble.

If you unhook the dongle from the OBD it will have ti rest communication w/ the nuvi.

What sort of issues were/are you having???

Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Dongle was always left attached, but nuvi was taken out overnight.

Nuvi would report it was unable to find the ecoroute.

I tried reinitializing the connection and it would work for a few days, then quit again.

Eventually even the re-init wouldn't work, and after multiple emails back and forth to Garmin, they finally gave me an RMA number to send it back.

Currently on a road trip with the latest refurbed Nuvi and hoping it keeps working long enough to get me home.....

Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 PM
weeladdie Just to let you know, I tried hooking the dongle to a friends passat and it refused to recognize the vehicle. Three attempts failed. When I went to hook it to my FIT it took two tries to get through. Fussy thing it is. Hope yours holds up.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
An android app called Dynomaster has this, and even has Honda skins for it.

Name:  frfUb.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  27.8 KB

Name:  DNsse.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  27.1 KB

Dynomaster - Welcome

Bought it for my Galaxy S, but returned it until Samsung can fix it's widespread gps bug, which is due out any day now.

I also emailed them to request a Fit skin. They could leave out the little translucent cars for my tastes, but whatever, it's fun.

aDyno is another good, and free app for android.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 PM
i would go with the Garmins. the speedo feature should now be standard on all of them, amongst other cool features.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
This is my setup with an AVN2210P in-dash GPS receiver.

Quick Reply: Has anyone successfully retrofitted a digital speedometer into the 2009/2010 Fit?