2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash pro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Flash pro?

Hey guys! Does anyone know if/when Hondata will come out with a flashpro for the fits??
Are there any other flashpros for the GEs?
Thanks!

Old 09-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Call (or email...see my sig) them and ask them. No really...do it. The only way we will see this is if we show them significant demand/interest.

Please post their respsonse when you have done so. I've done this twice now.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks! I'm on it.
But do you happen to know our ECU number?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Why do you need the ECU number? I'm not aware of the ECU having a number...

Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Idk. It says I should include it in my message?
I will leave it out I doubt its relevent.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Hmm. I read it wrong. Haha.
I sent the email now.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Technicality all Honda computers can be reprogrammed, might not work with automatics but there is a section that can be modified in the ecu. Manuals are easier and might be able to use Honda Flash Pro. Honda in the fit integrated the lights and electric power steering so you could have problems. ( I read that some where and 99 percent sure). Automatics add a different level because you will make more torque and the auto will shift different and wont last. They had problem and changed the automatics so they control the problems because of warranty issues.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
No aftermarket tune is endorsed or recommended by the manufacturer. Any drive train warranty issues would be problematic with an aftermarket tune. Purchase of an aftermarket tune usually comes with a way to revert to the original flash should warranty work be necessary. This might require purchase of a 2nd ECU to flash with the new tune, keeping the old one to reinstall for dealer visits, but this expense would be excessive in the Fit's market. Honda isn't going to turn over their source code so reverse engineering is necessary. This is time consuming, buggy, and expensive. You won't see this happen until an appreciable number of GE8's enter the tuner market by coming out of warranty (2012?).

Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Your right for once, its not endorsed by any manufacturer because of warranty issues, but all ecu has the capability to be re flashed by law other wise they would not be able to put patches in. That why they integrated features on the car because if you try to mess with it your car wont work right. Theres no power to be gained by re-flashing a ecu unless you add a turbo,supercharge or change internal parts. Look at the K swap swap they run a piggy back setup to control the features that would mess up if you reprogram the Fits ecu. IF you want to reflash the ecu it can be done but at what cost.

Hondata can reprogram any car and already have the entrance to the ecu by law, but unless you add a turbo,supercharger why would you.

Its not endorsed by the government too because of emissions You can run 2 or more tunes in most older ecu's because they add memory. My sons car will have three tunes set up in his Turbo Acura.

By the way all tunes can be stored in a computer.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Your right for once, its not endorsed by any manufacturer because of warranty issues, but all ecu has the capability to be re flashed by law other wise they would not be able to put patches in. That why they integrated features on the car because if you try to mess with it your car wont work right. Theres no power to be gained by re-flashing a ecu unless you add a turbo,supercharge or change internal parts. Look at the K swap swap they run a piggy back setup to control the features that would mess up if you reprogram the Fits ecu. IF you want to reflash the ecu it can be done but at what cost.

Hondata can reprogram any car and already have the entrance to the ecu by law, but unless you add a turbo,supercharger why would you.

Its not endorsed by the government too because of emissions You can run 2 or more tunes in most older ecu's because they add memory. My sons car will have three tunes set up in his Turbo Acura.

By the way all tunes can be stored in a computer.
Changing the throttle response to pedal movement and removing the rev-hang are two reasons to get an aftermarket tune without forced induction. There are others but I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about them.

Are they emissions legal? Certainly not. The amount of testing and certification required by any agency would preclude this. But I think the majority of locales don't test emissions, outside of California and other major metro areas. And the way around where they do is to keep the original ECU for trips to get smogged or dealer repairs. Some ECUs keep a count of how many times they've been flashed to alert dealers that it's been fiddled so having a second might be necessary. All very expensive for limited benefits on an economy car.

There seems to be no shortage of tunes for older Fits and other economy cars, so I don't doubt there will be for GE8s. Just not till they get some more age on them.

Edit, checking around I don't see anyone providing tunes for Fits regardless of the generation. doesn't seem cost effective; no one's going to lose money trying to develop it for minimal changes in performance. Don't know where I got the impression there were; maybe it was coyote's (but he's bolted on a supercharger from what I understand).

Last edited by Steve244; 09-19-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Changing the throttle response to pedal movement and removing the rev-hang are two reasons to get an aftermarket tune without forced induction. There are others but I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about them.

Are they emissions legal? Certainly not. The amount of testing and certification required by any agency would preclude this. But I think the majority of locales don't test emissions, outside of California and other major metro areas. And the way around where they do is to keep the original ECU for trips to get smogged or dealer repairs. Some ECUs keep a count of how many times they've been flashed to alert dealers that it's been fiddled so having a second might be necessary. All very expensive for limited benefits on an economy car.

There seems to be no shortage of tunes for older Fits and other economy cars, so I don't doubt there will be for GE8s. Just not till they get some more age on them.

Edit, checking around I don't see anyone providing tunes for Fits regardless of the generation. doesn't seem cost effective; no one's going to lose money trying to develop it for minimal changes in performance. Don't know where I got the impression there were; maybe it was coyote's (but he's bolted on a supercharger from what I understand).
I told you there is a tune Kraftwerks USA Products and I am sure Flash Pro would work with the new generation.
To you want to spend 1000 dollars for a few horsepower? Thats why supercharging,turbo is worth the money for the power. Most after market parts has a C.A.R.B. or EO number so its emission legal.

If you add a CAT back, cold air intake, it will work with out adding a tune.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 09-19-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
I told you there is a tune Kraftwerks USA Products and I am sure Flash Pro would work with the new generation.
To you want to spend 1000 dollars for a few horsepower? That why supercharging,turbo is worth the money for the power. That ecu upgrade is for nitrous and only at full throttle. Most after market parts has a C.A.R.B. or EO number so its emission legal.

Cool, thanks for the link.

Tunes are for "off-road use" only I notice, and even the anemic 5lb supercharger (no ECU upgrade) isn't California approved. Cat-back and CAI will improve noise generation, but that's all.

Doubt there will be anything available for GE8's till 2012 or later.

But hey, you can always fill it with premium gas!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 AM
To you want to spend 1000 dollars for a few horsepower? Thats why supercharging,turbo is worth the money for the power. Most after market parts has a C.A.R.B. or EO number so its emission legal.

What will work without a tune, a supercharger?

You sure are talking down to user Steve244 for someone who's lack of knowledge is painfully apparent...

Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
What will work without a tune, a supercharger?

You sure are talking down to user Steve244 for someone who's lack of knowledge is painfully apparent...
It's OK, I talk down to him all the time.

I think he's saying that a cat-back or CAI will improve performance without a tune. I think he's wrong (it's questionable whether they will improve performance noticeably with a tune).

I think he's saying that an aftermarket tune costs around $1000. I think he's wrong; they're in the range of $400-$600 depending on the car and tuner. It may require the purchase of a spare ECU which could drive it to $1000.

I think he's saying that an aftermarket tune has no effect on performance without forced induction or nitrous. I think he's wrong, but the only experience I have with tunes is with forced induction, so I could be wrong.

I have no idea what he's saying about CARB legal. I don't think you can add on a "turbo" badge in California and pass smog tests. Certainly not an aftermarket tune or bolt-on forced induction.

I think he's saying that to get 5lbs boost for about $3,000 is worth the money. I think he's wrong. This uses the stock ECU and mapping. But to each their own.

The OP was wondering whether there would be a tune (or user modifiable interface like flashpro) available for the GE8s anytime soon. I think Bullet is saying he see's no reason the setup for the GD3 won't work on a GE8. I think he's wrong.

See what I mean? Stand by for some more talking down.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 AM
LOL...I'm staying out of this argument

Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
How much power do you think a stock Honda L1.5 is going to produce?

You are going to around spend around 500 dollar for a CAI and Cat back and about 700 dollar for flash pro and about 200 for dyno time. To get about 15 max horsepower. You might get more across the board put not enough to make a real difference. There is not enough speed parts for the Fit for a broader selection. The reason the Civic has parts and tunes available is that the horsepower gain is higher and there is 1000 times more civics than Fits.

That makes a supercharger cost efficient for 60 to 100 horsepower. Nitrous probably wont work with the drive by wire because it harder to make work than a cable.

Adding a CAI and exhaust puts it at the max the ecu can adjust. The ecu can adjust the fuel trim 15 percent or so either way before the check engine light comes on. There also is a built in enrichment tables of about 5-10 percent for volumetric efficiency tables and timing, fuel trim is adjusted by volumetric tables going up.

There is a section in the ecu the government told the auto manufactures to leave in for patches and emission testing. If you add a re flash tune to the ecu it will detune your car as you drive and you have to shut down to reset, thats why a program company like hondata makes K pro, and now flash pro to constantly refresh the tune.

Thats why the K Swap is popular because of the after market parts available and higher horsepower outputs.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Almost every Honda engine embraced by the tuner community is good for a little over 100 hp/liter naturally aspirated...B18, H22, K20, K24, etc. The L15a7 is a performance oriented I-vtec engine...there is no reason to believe that this engine isn't capable of at least 150 hp in NA trim. The only insurmountable weakness of this engine is the SOHC.

There will always be "negative Nancy's" like you...the rest of us will keep pushing forward

Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Ummmmm......no and no.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Almost every Honda engine embraced by the tuner community is good for a little over 100 hp/liter naturally aspirated...B18, H22, K20, K24, etc. The L15a7 is a performance oriented I-vtec engine...there is no reason to believe that this engine isn't capable of at least 150 hp in NA trim. The only insurmountable weakness of this engine is the SOHC.

There will always be "negative Nancy's" like you...the rest of us will keep pushing forward
The thing you are not considering is that in 2007 Honda took a drop in horsepower so the L15a7 would be rated at 125-130 horsepower and the 15-20 horsepower you get by CAI, cat back puts it where you said. The stock ecu is capable of that but not more. I am not being negative, It would be nice to program your car like in the old days. The flash pro tunes the civic and has a similar setup (sensors) in the GE8 Fit the only thing different is the electronic steering and engine size. Same i vtec, compression, just smaller.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Sent mine.

In accordance with https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...flash-pro.html I'm calling/emailng and begging for flashpro.

I've thought about swapping a civic si ecu into the car and using flashpro on that, but it's going to be both time and cost prohibitive, and there's no guaranty that it'll work.

I'd buy a flash pro, just like I bought an s300.

--Doug

Quick Reply: Flash pro?