2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does a straight pipe axle back sound to you? (see video)
Great - You'd look forward to opening up the throttle
34.83%
Okay - If there was no preformance gain you probbly wouldn't do it
15.73%
Meh - You wouldn't get one for yourself but you wouldn't shake your head in disgust
16.85%
Absolute Rice Fart Can Crap - You would shake your head in shame if one drove by you
25.84%
WTF? Are you sure that isn't a crotch rocket sport bike?
6.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Revisiting the $50 or less Axle Back Exhaust Option.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Having had a whole series of exhaust mods, from a snakes nest header on a VW Bug to an Ansa on a Scirocco, I gotta tell you to think twice about a louder exhaust. If you are mostly short hopping and enjoy the sound, go for it.
But if you have long highway miles, the louder exhaust gets drony and tiresome. The Fit has a fair amount of road noise as-is; I'd hesitate to add more.
Moon

Old 09-29-2010, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
If you are on cruise control you can hardly hear it. Listen to the video. The only time you hear it is when you open it up.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Lyon, I hope your're listening to the audio....

If I want racket on the road, I'll take the Wrangler; that is something I really like about her ladyship's panzer...really quiet at 80.
Doubt there is much of a performance increase with a more open exhaust; comes down to what makes us happy.
Always liked the notion of a manually operated cutout that lets the you select the exhaust sound from the driver's seat. Who has that from the factory? Corvette?
Moon

Old 09-30-2010, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
You know I think I've just gotten used to it. I finally let a friend open her up around the parking lot at work while I stand outside and listen. It's so... beautiful. It is the most refined, deep, sound I've ever heard from a 4 cyl. The iphone's crappy microphone just does not capture the beauty of it because it doesn't seem to pick up the low frequencies. My gf says it sounds like a little car trying to be a big car and if she didn't know it was a fit she would expect something much larger to turn the corner. I mean we all know what a fart can'd civic sounds like. This really is the exact opposite. It is DEEP.

Muscle Car fuc^#$ a Hayabusa. That's how I would describe it.

Alright I'm done gushing now. Praise lord Honda.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Laughed at you gf's remark, being surprised about what turned the corner.
A million years ago, couple of us were standing on campus, and we heard a melliflous six cylinder exhaust behind the library. There was a 3000 Healy around, and a couple Jags in various states of repair, so we were expecting something interesting, and bets were quickly laid.

Then, around the corner came a really ratty Dodge four door sedan with a glasspack...that slant six did sound mighty fine....

At least the Fit is a great little car to go with the rippy exhaust.
Best,
Moon

Old 09-30-2010, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
I had a 61 3000 and it did sound great.... 4th gear overdrive at 75 to 85 MPH was heavenly....... I did this straight pipe thing to my car over 4 years ago. Using 2.5" pipe and a short bullet shaped glass pack muffler creates an even lower frequency more mellow sound for just a few bucks more.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 09-30-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
Its kinda sad but, its sounds good enough that I'm nervous about buying the WR test pipe (they call it a 'header' but only 2 inches of it qualify as a header) I'm afraid it will create the evil honda 'rasp'. I suppose a good glass pack could fix that though.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
DO IT!

10char

Old 10-01-2010, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Its kinda sad but, its sounds good enough that I'm nervous about buying the WR test pipe (they call it a 'header' but only 2 inches of it qualify as a header) I'm afraid it will create the evil honda 'rasp'. I suppose a good glass pack could fix that though.
I have the Megan header, "test pipe" (cough cough) that has a built in resonator along with the Megan B pipe with larger than stock resonator and a muffler shop fabricated axle back into an AeroTurbine 2540i muffler.... I am desperately hoping that the 10" Vibrant resonator and Apexi exhaust control valve I have yet to install will adequately lower the noise levels on the highway and when driving at night in town.... I understand that the GE cars have a cat as part of the head assembly and that should quieten things down some but it is going to be louder.... With the header, test pipe, stock B pipe and 2 1/2" axle back with a short glass pack was a blast of popping and flames from the exhaust tip when lifting off of the throttle from wide open at high revs... An 18" glass pack or maybe a little longer may be needed to prevent people from thinking ricer when you drive by if you are removing part of the cat and improving exhaust flow from the head.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
What's a glass pack?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Old 10-02-2010, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
I think I'm going to do the same thing but from the cat back...just figuring out all the costs and parts.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 PM
This deserves to be bumped.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bmxman
I think I'm going to do the same thing but from the cat back...just figuring out all the costs and parts.
thats going to be loud. basically straight pipping it, mad echoing lol

Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
tempted to do this now and just get a s2000 tip. i might take it down the street to this muffler shop by my school. says they do bends

Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Someone asked this earlier in this thread, but it wasn't answered.. How would changing the pipe diameter effect both horsepower and tone?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
From the cat back you will lose exhaust flow velocity which is need to pull the air fuel mixture into the combustion chamber as the exhaust valves and the intake valves are partially open at the beginning of the intake stroke... I'm not sure that you would want to use a much larger diameter pipe when you replace the stock axle back or not... I saw a 5MPH loss of top end speed by using a 2 1/2" pipe on my axle back... A 2 1/2" axle back will give you a much deeper sounding tone though...If I was to do up one again I would step the diameter of the pipe to the muffler up to 2 1/2" 4" or 5" before it is attached to a muffler with a 2 1/2" core....I presently have a 2 1/2' pipe into a muffler with a 4" core and outlet... Or you could go with a straight pipe without a muffler and one of these like I had to use with 3 resonators and muffler to quiet my car.YouTube - apexi exhaust control valve But it's like $150 or so.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 03-08-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 PM
So, the cabin noise isn't that bad? I had a 1987 E30 that was an axle back and at 75 it was hard to talk haha. But my god when you opened it up did it sound amazing.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:25 PM
What's the easiest and most affordable way to do this and be able to throw my OEM muffler back on? I live in CA bay area so I don't know if a DIY axel back would pass inspection. Sorry for my noobieness. and thanks in advance.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zacks94
What's the easiest and most affordable way to do this and be able to throw my OEM muffler back on? I live in CA bay area so I don't know if a DIY axel back would pass inspection. Sorry for my noobieness. and thanks in advance.
Earlier posters said a shop did for $50. Then swap it out before inspection. It’s 2 bolts and a couple hooks

Quick Reply: Revisiting the $50 or less Axle Back Exhaust Option.