2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tires, 2009 Honda Fit Sport

Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Greater unsprung weight will increase your fuel consumptions, mainly in stop & go driving, not so much for steady speed. If the tire/wheel weights and diameters were the same between the two width sizes the fuel consumption difference would be slight.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:54 AM
The Continental ExtremeContact DWS is approximately 1 pound heavier than the stock tire comparing 205/50/16 to 185/55/16. Its treadwear number is 560 compared to 300 for the Bridgestones, and it's rated great in snow. It'd be my choice... and it has a 6yr/50,000mi treadlife warranty.

Tread compound can also effect fuel mileage. While harder compounds do not guarantee better economy, most low-rolling-resistance tires are over 400 on the treadwear rating scale. There are several comments in the reviews at Discount Tire about owners seeing improved fuel economy with the Continentals.

If you have any lingering concerns about going wider, I'd visit these sites:

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

Home - Discount Tire Direct

they both have toll-free numbers to call as well.

HTH,

Old 10-29-2010, 03:53 AM
If you want a really good price, are using stock rims, and want nice performance -> TIRERACK.COM and get the POTENZA's for the fit

Old 10-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Hopefully one last post so I can order a set of tires. I've got three brands I need to pick from, all the same size, 205/50R16, all three are all season, my preferred brand has the lowest mileage life span but longest year warranty the others are 50/6years. I wonder though if the Michelin's will last longer due to quality?

Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 PM
I went with the Michelin's. They fit well, no rubbing, etc. First thing is I should not have gone to Sears to have them installed, $98... what a joke.

They put the pressure at 33 on each and my TPMS came on. I am assuming because of that. What should it be set to with this tire/car? The book doesn't say. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mainer82
I went with the Michelin's. They fit well, no rubbing, etc. First thing is I should not have gone to Sears to have them installed, $98... what a joke.

They put the pressure at 33 on each and my TPMS came on. I am assuming because of that. What should it be set to with this tire/car? The book doesn't say. Thanks!
Door Jam or the outside edge of the door itself has the tire pressure listed on almost every car. I can't remember what it's actually supposed to be off the top of my head.

~SB

Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
33 psi should be within the range of the TPMS sensor... which according to my door jam for a sport is 33 psi.

Assuming you kept the stock wheels, check to make sure it actually IS inflated to 33. Faulty gauge and/or leak in tire can change that easily. Another possibility is the sensor got damaged during the tire change.

Now, if you got new wheels too, then you'll have to some check if the sensor was transferred, or, if new sensor too, new one must be programmed to the car's system.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Same wheels. TPMS came on after about 20 minutes of driving. I'll have to check in the morning to see what it is at.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Same wheels. TPMS came on after about 20 minutes of driving. I'll have to check in the morning to see what it is at.
Which TPMS light is it? There's the low tire pressure light:

and then there's the TPMS light:

If you're getting the TPMS light, then it's likely a busted sensor. If it's the low pressure light, then they probably didn't inflate the tires correctly (though on my Fit, the light doesn't come on until about 25 psi, which is pretty low).

Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
It's the actual TPMS lable light, the 2nd one. I have had this happen before when I put too much air in the tire. I can't find my pressure gauge so I guess I'll have to have Sears take a look although I'd rather not have them poking around.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced my stocks with these as well. I have about 5k on the Conti's now. I love these tires. Much more grip, car feels much more stable.

I'll be replacing my tires with the Conti DWS's from now on.

205/50/16.

Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Let me recommend these--I have them and love them. They are also cheaper than the ones you linked.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

I also have 205/50/16

Old 11-05-2010, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
It's the actual TPMS lable light, the 2nd one. I have had this happen before when I put too much air in the tire. I can't find my pressure gauge so I guess I'll have to have Sears take a look although I'd rather not have them poking around.
Or you could just stop by a gas station that has an air pump with a gauge. While it might cost to use the air pump, the gauge will work when the machine is off.

Then, if you need air, tada, pump right there.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
A word on the stock tires--me and my parents have three 2nd generation Fits between us. Mine has the Dunlops and one of theirs has the Bridgestones. They do not like the Bridgestones because they apparently create a lot of road noise. On the other hand, I have been happy with the Dunlops, they are quiet and handle just fine.

My Dunlops have about 47,000 miles on them and are just about worn out. I bought a new pair from TireRack.com for $80 apiece (including shipping). A local mechanic said he'd put them on for $70. Seems like a good deal, especially since they seem to wear pretty well.

The tires are sitting in my garage right now, I'm going to have them put on in a month or so when the weather here in Michigan gets bad. It sure is a nice change from my old Acura--tires for that car cost almost twice as much.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
The car is two years old now and the tires need to be replaced (23,000 miles). ... I want something that will last more than 23k miles which is ridiculous!
I was surprised to read this. I've got a 2009 Honda Fit Sport with approx. 37,000 miles on stock Bridgestones and I've got more than 3/32-inch of tread before I even hit the wear bars.

Last edited by Amp300; 01-20-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Correct spelling error.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by What The!?
I replaced my stocks with these as well. I have about 5k on the Conti's now. I love these tires. Much more grip, car feels much more stable.

I'll be replacing my tires with the Conti DWS's from now on.

205/50/16.
Would anyone share their experience on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 205/50/16.

- What pressure do you pump it to.
- What is the mpg drop from before to after.
- Any improvement in road noise compared with stock (Dunlop or Bridgestone)

Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Consumer Reports gives the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (W) their ‘Excellent’ rating for noise, something that they rarely give to any tire. These tires are rated highly in the other categories as well, and receive ‘Recommended’ designation. According to the Sumitomo website they are made in the 205/50-R16 size, although they’re not listed at that size at Tire Rack. Has anyone tried these on an ‘09 Fit Sport? My original Bridgestones are down to the wear bars at 43,000 miles, and I want to replace them before the snow arrives in the northeast.

The Continental Extreme Contact DWS are also recommended, but they only receive a ‘Good’ noise rating, two notches down from the ‘Excellent’ the Sumitomos receive. They're rated a bit better than the Sumitomos for wet braking ('Excellent' vs. 'Very Good') but they receive only a 'Fair' rating for tread life. The Sumitomos receive a 'Very Good' rating for ride comfort, and the Continentals a 'Good' rating. Otherwise, the two tires are rated identically.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:24 PM
I had the Dunlops on my 09 Sport and they lasted 46k miles, so that would be an acceptable alternative if you wanted less expensive tires.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
My car came with Bridgestone EL470s; as a service advisor who sells 80-100 tires a month I feel these are the more inferior tire that comes stock on the Fits. It is also most expensive, which helps sell the better Dunlop. I've seen a couple come through the shop lately with the G019 Grids. The same tires on Accords are horrible; loud, hard, maybe sticky but I can't ever tell, every one that comes in is cupped to the point of being dangerous. The ones on Fits were new, I'll update as they wear.

I currently have a mix of sizes. I put two Nitto Neogen 205 50 16s on about 6 months ago and have experimented with them on front and back at various pressures along with two of the original BS. I ran my OEM Bridgestones around 42psi, with the Neogens at 42 on the front they were fine but my mileage suffered (about 2mpg) so I put them on the back. At 42psi the car had a very odd and unsettling rocking sensation in crosswinds and when cornering the car rotated VERY easily, both fun and dangerous. I think it was from the center being ballooned out from the rim being narrow, the pressure and very little weight. I lowered them to factory pressure and the characteristic went back to normal, eventually ending up around 36psi. I like the look on the back, fills out the wheel wells nicer. I have them back on the front now, my mileage is about 2.5mpg lower over the last 4k miles or so but they handle like glue and ride decently and are quiet to boot.

I'll be putting a couple 195 50s on in the next couple months, I'll check back in then.

FWIW,

Ben

Last edited by rhyneba; 11-10-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
A quick but important correction to my post above. I’d mistakenly thought that the CR ratings applied to the W-rated version of the Sumitomo, but in fact it applies to the H-rated version. Tire Rack does have the H-rated 205/50/16s in stock for $84 each. Looks like that’s the route I’ll go.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
To add my 2 cents to the discussion about 205 tires on a 6" wide rim, every Ford Focus you see with the stock 16" wheels (there are bazillions of them) runs a 205/50R16 on a 16"x6" rim, the same size as the Fit rim. So, no, those widths are not a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires, 2009 Honda Fit Sport