2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote starter for a 09' Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Remote starter for a 09' Fit?

Interested in having a remote starter installed in my 2009 Sport Fit. Any have any suggestions on types? Looking to spend about $500 max.

I heard having Honda install their own is the best way to go. Is this true?

Any feedback would be awesome!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by KittysQuest
Interested in having a remote starter installed in my 2009 Sport Fit. Any have any suggestions on types? Looking to spend about $500 max.

Were it me, I wouldn't consider anything other than the OEM one. The OEM one can better interface with the car's alarm and immobilizer. FWI, the honda e-store thing says that the remoter starter w/ installation is just under 500 bucks. Presumably you could also negotiate that down as well, as that's the MSRP for both service and parts.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Call around local garages, you might be able to get a compustar one with the alarm for 500-600. I know you only want to spend 500, but spending a little more is for a good investment, IMO.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by KittysQuest

Honda will actually send you to a guy or shop that does their installs. Our local dealer put us in touch with a mobile installer (does the work for most import dealers in our town), who picked up our car and dropped it off a few hours later. We have the Clifford 1.3x.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
smart start best way to go lock/unlock start from anywhere.. im OP of course

Old 11-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by malraux
FWI, the honda e-store thing says that the remoter starter w/ installation is just under 500 bucks.
Did you include the required part (REMOTE ENGINE STARTER ATTACHMENT
Part Number: 08E92-TK6-100A) @ $160? Parts alone, it's $500 for just a remote starter (no alarm).

KittysQuest, if you don't already have an alarm, I'd look for a quality shop to install an aftermarket alarm with remote start -- like the Viper 5902V. Maybe around $600-$800 installed professionally with the necessary sensors (shock, tilt, and glass), but that's purely a guess.

There are many different brands/levels for alarms and remote starters, so I'm sure there's one that fits your budget if the Viper is too expensive. The two most popular companies that I know of are:
DEI brands: Viper, Python, Clifford, etc.
Omega brands: Crime Guard, K-9, Excalibur, etc.

I've owned Viper and Crime Guard, and I'd recommend both. I don't really know that much about the others. Someone mentioned Compustar, which is another one out there. Make sure you get a good, reputable place to install it for you, and you should be fine.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by AtticusFit
smart start best way to go lock/unlock start from anywhere.. im OP of course
Yeah, but the service is also not free.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
darn i kinda want something like that, so i can warm up the car in the mornings, its starting to get under 30 degrees here in the mornings and it takes a while to heat up the inside of the car, or defrost the front window.

what will happen if i started up the car and i had it in gear? you think it would take off or just stall out? i have a bad habit of leaving it in the first gear when i turn off the car.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
darn i kinda want something like that, so i can warm up the car in the mornings, its starting to get under 30 degrees here in the mornings and it takes a while to heat up the inside of the car, or defrost the front window.

what will happen if i started up the car and i had it in gear? you think it would take off or just stall out? i have a bad habit of leaving it in the first gear when i turn off the car.
I think the OEM one requires you to not be in gear for it to work.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I think the OEM one requires you to not be in gear for it to work.
The OEM remote starter is for automatic transmissions only, and on an automatic, you have to be in Park to start the car.

Some (most?) aftermarket remote starters now have built-in support for safe remote start of manual transmissions. There used to be a module (DEI 689M Neutral Safety Module) for this, but now it's built-in. Even still, I've heard it's difficult/nearly impossible to get a shop to install one for you with a manual transmission.

Originally Posted by Vash
Yep, without some sort of gear/e-brake safety check, a manual left in gear will take off on remote start and steamroll little Johnny as he plays in the street. This is why a lot of shops won't touch it. Not sure if that's changed, doubtful.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 AM
don't know how much have changed but compustar's remote start for manual is the only remote start covered by any car manufacturer warranty.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
For manual transmission cars, you need to "program" the car each time before you leave your vehicle for you to be able to start it, and that includes not having your car in gear. And if you say forget to take something from your car and need to unlock your doors to get it, that resets the program. It's all for safety so you don't lurch your car forwards when trying to remote start it.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Hum... maybe I confused it with another remote start kit.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 AM
M4psycho is correct.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
don't know how much have changed but compustar's remote start for manual is the only remote start covered by any car manufacturer warranty.
I don't think any car manufacturer's warranty would cover a third-party item like a remote start.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
I was just reading about the Compustar remote kit (for the smallest/cheapest?) ...

The "reservation mode" is exactly what I normally do when I shut off the car anyway.

The only thing that kinda bothers me... not being able to open my doors to grab something without canceling the mode. Do I have to turn my engine back on to put it in reservation mode again?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
I was just reading about the Compustar remote kit (for the smallest/cheapest?) ...

The "reservation mode" is exactly what I normally do when I shut off the car anyway.

The only thing that kinda bothers me... not being able to open my doors to grab something without canceling the mode. Do I have to turn my engine back on to put it in reservation mode again?
Yes you do ;p.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by wuttuptae
I don't think any car manufacturer's warranty would cover a third-party item like a remote start.
Let me rephrase that...
As far as I know... Compustar is the only manual transmission remote starter that has been proven to be car manufacturer warranty friendly or will not void any car manu warranty.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
Yes you do ;p.
Well, that SHUCKS!!

Does it mean it can only detect parking brake and gear with the engine on? Or does it? Maybe it doesn't check the gear, and just bets that you'd never want to leave the car while the engine is on and in gear.

I think it'd be nice if it only cancel if a critical part changed (depressed clutch, gear shift, and/or parking brake release). Opening and closing a door shouldn't matter.

But, even though I decided on not getting a remote start when I bought my Fit, the recent cold has been making me reconsider. Which is crazy, since winter hasn't fully set in and I've been through plenty of Chicago winters. Maybe it's because I get to make the decision in regards to the car. :'o

Old 11-29-2010, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Well, that SHUCKS!!

Does it mean it can only detect parking brake and gear with the engine on? Or does it? Maybe it doesn't check the gear, and just bets that you'd never want to leave the car while the engine is on and in gear.

I think it'd be nice if it only cancel if a critical part changed (depressed clutch, gear shift, and/or parking brake release). Opening and closing a door shouldn't matter.

But, even though I decided on not getting a remote start when I bought my Fit, the recent cold has been making me reconsider. Which is crazy, since winter hasn't fully set in and I've been through plenty of Chicago winters. Maybe it's because I get to make the decision in regards to the car. :'o
It makes sense and it covers their own end...you can easily unlock the door and put the car into gear without touching the clutch if the car is off. Not that that's likely to happen but it could and they don't want to be liable for that. I will agree with you though, it does suck...

Quick Reply: Remote starter for a 09' Fit?