2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing all your aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by hayden
Oh, believe me, I know. Just sharing a bit about my experience with it. Yes, it was a VW TDI, and had a garrett vnt15. I had the dawes set to limit the boost spike to around 19, iirc, but it wasn't a well tuned car. Didn't have the time or money to keep up with the latest. Those guys eventually pushed big power with little to no smoke. They came with around 150 lb.ft. at the wheels stock. That twist could be doubled for not too much cash. Most of VWs numbers are wheel-power figures.

Those cars are pretty stout. Most people just end up breaking cvs, but only when lowered. The newer cars are completely different, make tons more power, use common rail injection, and I know nothing about them.

Sounds like a blast! I hear they can get ridiculous mileage too! What year was yours?

Tell me more about how you set up the dawes device.. I have a friend who just picked up a 58lb/min VNT Twinscroll Holset H351VE, off a 6.7 liter diesel that I want to play with!

I was thinking about some sort of electric solenoid or a wastegate actuator, what do you think? I was contemplating using it on the Fit if I decide a 34lb/min MHI 14B doesnt hold my interest and I decide to move on to E85 or E98 in which case I will spring for forged rotating assembly and see what she can do@

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-09-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
It took my mechanic several hours to install my springs and the alignment....I don't know how long it would take for me to do it if I tried doing it myself. $300 is pretty reasonable I think...
My Dodge dealer charged me $96. Took about 1 1/2 hrs. I took off the cowling and wipers before I took it in. I was able to stand around and comment on some of the stuff like holding up axle so it did not pop out etc. It was piece of cake.

They charged me $29 to install HKS

Old 12-09-2010, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
$96 is a very good price.... How many cars have you gotten from them in the last two centuries? If my dog hadn't been stolen I would be out in the barn right now changing the oil on the Fit and truck.... He was good company and I could call him over to wipe my hands on when needed and it helped keep fleas and ticks off of him.... It was a bitch teaching him too quit chewing up those stupid plastic push connectors... Working on my stuff just isn't the same now.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I have used the dealership for some small items but mostly Eric who owned Red Sun Auto Sports has been my main guy. He deals totally with imports and has
a Honda that he races. I would trust him to do anything on the car because he really knows Hondas'

Cat

Old 12-09-2010, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
$96 is a very good price.... How many cars have you gotten from them in the last two centuries? If my dog hadn't been stolen I would be out in the barn right now changing the oil on the Fit and truck.... He was good company and I could call him over to wipe my hands on when needed and it helped keep fleas and ticks off of him.... It was a bitch teaching him too quit chewing up those stupid plastic push connectors... Working on my stuff just isn't the same now.
Used to get my horses from them before autos where invented. GOt my first horseless carriage from them. Actually the last 15 yrs. I used to do the website for their nephew who raced Late Models here.

Well haven't lost your sense of humour eh. No word on the dog?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
No word om him yet Bill... I am getting ready to go fill up my car, put out more posters and look around some more.... I am on the 4th tank of fuel from searching and asking people... There is a 1st Monday trades day north of here and the word is that a lot of dogs that are stolen end up being sold there so he is possibly gone for good... The breed is difficult to train and he is well trained...

Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
My Dodge dealer charged me $96. Took about 1 1/2 hrs. I took off the cowling and wipers before I took it in. I was able to stand around and comment on some of the stuff like holding up axle so it did not pop out etc. It was piece of cake.

They charged me $29 to install HKS
$96 sounds so nice!! maybe I should go to my Dodge Dealer!!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Sounds like a blast! I hear they can get ridiculous mileage too! What year was yours?

Tell me more about how you set up the dawes device.. I have a friend who just picked up a 58lb/min VNT Twinscroll Holset H351VE, off a 6.7 liter diesel that I want to play with!

I was thinking about some sort of electric solenoid or a wastegate actuator, what do you think? I was contemplating using it on the Fit if I decide a 34lb/min MHI 14B doesnt hold my interest and I decide to move on to E85 or E98 in which case I will spring for forged rotating assembly and see what she can do@
It was a 2001 Golf GL, which was the lightest of the bunch. I had the Dawes on the VNT pressure line, and you just drive around, spiking it and adjust the dial until it spikes to where you want (in that case, about 2 psi higher than sustained.) Pretty cool little trick. Those VNTs are just amazing, and so is the swirl pattern in combustion to minimize hot spots that the TDI developed way back when.

Here she is/was:
Name:  OZs-1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  70.5 KB

Lowering VWs kills handling completely.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
No word om him yet Bill... I am getting ready to go fill up my car, put out more posters and look around some more.... I am on the 4th tank of fuel from searching and asking people... There is a 1st Monday trades day north of here and the word is that a lot of dogs that are stolen end up being sold there so he is possibly gone for good... The breed is difficult to train and he is well trained...
Just horrible news. Hope you find him.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 PM
gwh
having trouble with install of oil temp gauge,done by pro people. temp goes too over 300f after complete warm up. what would be the average degrees on complet stock engiine 09 fit sport mt???

Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Coolant runs 170-180F, my thought would be 250F on the oil. over 300 sounds way too high.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Full suspension kit or just lowering springs??? Goal is an inch, do I really need the kit or will the springs be enough to go for the look? Not intending on using it for track or anything, just a simply lowered appearance.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
Just horrible news. Hope you find him.
I'm still looking Hayden, but Amanda's dad had a dog that her mother said had to go... I drove to Louisiana and got the overgrown bad puppy... He is a Border Collie mixed with Australian Blue Healer He isn't as fast or as agile as Ringo... He is a little heavier and just as hyper so he has to be muscled around quite a bit or will run all over you... The best thing about him is he doesn't wander off and keeps busy dragging stuff in and out of the yard... I hope he drags a decent tractor home sometime so I can use it to haul off and bury the other crap he is piling up around here... He is 9 months old and will tame down by the time he is 2 years old... He ways 60 pounds now and could easily put on another 10 and these dogs are all muscle under their thick coats,

Old 02-05-2011, 01:08 PM
gwh
new oil temp gauge, reads 120/140f does this sound right for 09 sport fit?? after 45 miles outside temp 27/30f

Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pandayun
I just wanted an idea of where people get their aftermarket parts installed? Do you guys do them yourselves or take them to a local mechanic? Such as installing an exhaust or installing lowering springs. Sorry if this is a noob question.. haha, I have no idea where to get my lowering springs put in.

Also my friend has a mechanic where he gets all his stuff done but they quoted me $300+ for installing + wheel alignment.. to me the price is crazy.. costing more then the actual springs.

Independent shops with good reputation - ask around are the way to go, especially ones that have an active racing effort.
Wheel alignment no matter if not too different offset wheels or too wide tires makes no difference on alignment work unless you wanted one on some 'unusual' set such as 225 section tires on 25 mm offset wheels. For that I'd quote you $300 just to scare you away. Anywhere from $75 to $150 is reasonable.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Vash
i generally do half and half, i take the stuff to the shop for stuff that has a high chance of me not being able to do myself, but in general i try my best to do it myself.

Shop:
Exhaust (including installation of headers)
Alignment and balance wheels
Open engine modifications
Dyno Tuning

Myself:
Intake/Forced Induction
Springs
Struts/shocks
Camber plates
General painting without clear coat

a huge problem is that many mechanics aren't exactly experienced with after-market stuff.... I say each time i get my car inspected or checked for AC leak, they had no freaken clue it was turboed or anything, what really scared me is that i ran into a "mechanic" that actually asked me: "whats that thing infront of your radiator?" and i look at him like... "thats an intercooler...."
i would of told him "duh, its the battery that runs the whole hybrid system."