2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noobie question....keys

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Noobie question....keys

This might have already been discussed here, but i can't find it. picked up an 09 Fit sport yesterday, great car in great shape, but no owners manual (the dealer has ordered one...a gmc dealer) and no second key.

Since i'm waiting on the owners manual to arrive, what is the deal with having a second key made?? i went to our local locksmith and he couldn't do it because it has a chip implanted in it....do i have to go to a dealer to have it done.

thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Yes, even if the locksmith could cut the physical key, there's an electronic part to the key that has to be programed at the dealer. The software/hardware involved is honda only.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
You'll also probably need the key code.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kingfisher
This might have already been discussed here, but i can't find it. picked up an 09 Fit sport yesterday, great car in great shape, but no owners manual (the dealer has ordered one...a gmc dealer) and no second key.

Since i'm waiting on the owners manual to arrive, what is the deal with having a second key made?? i went to our local locksmith and he couldn't do it because it has a chip implanted in it....do i have to go to a dealer to have it done.

thanks
The reason for the key implants is supposedly to protect owners from theft but a good case can be made for ADP -additional dealer profits. All new cars have the same 'problem'. And yes only a dealer can do it for $40 each or more. At least the remotes are self-programmable.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Look to spend $100+ at the dealer for blank, cutting and programming. Some newer luxury cars cost up to three times that much. The chip was supposedly mandated by German car insurance companies and has become universal world-wide.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by Kingfisher

thanks
If I am in your shoes and the previous owner kept the spare key or say it was "lost" and may find it later who knows, I will buy a steering wheel lock in case someone found the lost key, locate where you live or work and drive away your car.. I am too paranoid and that's the way I am.. sorry, I can't help it

Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
If I am in your shoes and the previous owner kept the spare key or say it was "lost" and may find it later who knows, I will buy a steering wheel lock in case someone found the lost key, locate where you live or work and drive away your car.. I am too paranoid and that's the way I am.. sorry, I can't help it
Shoot... I'm worse. this is one reason I'm reluctant about buying used.

But, if I had bought my Fit used, the first I would've done would've been to look into how much it would cost to replace the key cylinder so that they couldn't possibly use the key if they "found it" (or worse, made a copy with this intention to begin with).

It wouldn't be cheap... but better than them driving off in it long enough "sell" it to someone else (at worse) or simply better than them getting access to the car and taking whatever I might've left inside.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm really not worried about the previous owner locating the car...i live in central pa area, they were from new jersey. i just want an extra set...just in case i loose this set...maybe i'm being paranoid that way too. next time i'm at the local dealer, i'll ask what it would cost for a new set..i just thought there might be a lower cost alternative than going to the dealer for a new set

Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
just talked to the local dealer....$62 for the key, $20 to program...that's not too bad, will have it done today..thanks for the reply's.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Shoot... I'm worse. this is one reason I'm reluctant about buying used.
Another paranoia I have in buying used FIT or any used car for that matter (you can laugh at me if you want) is if the previous owner or someone in the family is a joint smoker.

As customs officials at the border are not friendly towards the smell of illicit drugs in your car, I do not want to be stripped search or pat downs ( I do not enjoy pat downs as some people does) each time I drive across the border just because the drug sniffing dogs are targetting my car each time without fail and no amount of vacumming or washing can get rid of the smell.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Cruise the internet for Honda key blanks and you may find a key for less or possibly check out H&A Honda or the Honda dealer that is a sponsor of this site.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Farther
Cruise the internet for Honda key blanks and you may find a key for less or possibly check out H&A Honda or the Honda dealer that is a sponsor of this site.
You'll still need the key programed at a dealer though. Sure you can get the unlock working, but not the car starting.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
Sure you can get the unlock working, but not the car starting.
You will do neither with a blank. Find the cheapest source for the blank and then go to any Honda dealer with your car and original key and they will cut and program the key blank.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Farther
You will do neither with a blank. Find the cheapest source for the blank and then go to any Honda dealer with your car and original key and they will cut and program the key blank.
Umm, isn't that what I said, that you have to go to a dealer for cutting and programing?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe this is obvious to others, but I found out the hard way that if you take the battery out of your key remote or if it is completely dead, that the car goes into security mode and won't start.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by nukeme70
Maybe this is obvious to others, but I found out the hard way that if you take the battery out of your key remote or if it is completely dead, that the car goes into security mode and won't start.
This is scary. What happened if I need to change the remote battery in the future when it is running low? how do I do it in such a way to not trigger the security mode of the car?

Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
I dunno, I doubt very much that Honda would allow you to get locked out of your own car, just because you changed the battery.

I'm not sure under what circumstances nukeme is talking about, but if your battery is dead, it would make sense that the ignition cut off won't allow the car to start until the "alarm" is turned off. but that's assuming it has an alarm based ignition cut off... which I wonder, since the system should only have the immobilizer (wholly dependent on a battery-less chip) and keyless for just keyless (and panic). And the immobilizer only needs the chip in the key to be in the right position when you try to start the car.

edit... oh, and if I'm not mistaken, the alarm would turn itself off once the key turns in the ignition anyway.

Last edited by Goobers; 01-15-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
I figured that the key operated off of either an RIFD chip that responded to a signal from the ignition switch or something in the ignition completed a circuit with the key, but after my experience I think there might just be a low power transmitter for the security system.

My ex's car wouldn't start one day and she called me for help - on a hunch I swapped my fob battery for hers, and voila! her car started right up. So she got a new battery and I put mine back into my key...upside down. That's when I tried to start my Fit and got the little flashing key light on the console and it didn't start. I flipped the battery, put the key in the ignition and turned it, then the alarm went off! Took the key out, hit the alarm button to turn it off, put the key back in the ignition and started it right up no problem. I'm assuming there's some sort of "handshake" when you change the battery.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nukeme70
I figured that the key operated off of either an RIFD chip that responded to a signal from the ignition switch or something in the ignition completed a circuit with the key, but after my experience I think there might just be a low power transmitter for the security system.

My ex's car wouldn't start one day and she called me for help - on a hunch I swapped my fob battery for hers, and voila! her car started right up. So she got a new battery and I put mine back into my key...upside down. That's when I tried to start my Fit and got the little flashing key light on the console and it didn't start. I flipped the battery, put the key in the ignition and turned it, then the alarm went off! Took the key out, hit the alarm button to turn it off, put the key back in the ignition and started it right up no problem. I'm assuming there's some sort of "handshake" when you change the battery.
I think that's because you didn't "disarm the alarm"... by pressing the unlock on the keyless remote. maybe it got armed while you were helping your wife?

so, then that begs the question... does the "alarm" disable when you turn the key? if so, then there might be two stages, on triggers when it isn't blaring... and one disables it when it is.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
The battery has nothing to do with the Car starting as the chip in the keys are RFID. also, I don't believe that the fit's security system has a starter disable, just simply door sensors and a loud (ok... dinky) horn that sounds when a door is opened. The only thing you should likely have to deal with (with a dead remote battery) is the alarm going off; after manually unlocking the door and before turning the key in the ignition. Everything else should be accessible manually.

~SB

Quick Reply: Noobie question....keys