2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Roof Rack Stolen. D=

Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Roof Rack Stolen. D=

San Gabriel, CA

I don't understand why people do what they do, but they do. It happened and i can't do anything about it so i'm letting it go after being down for the whole day today.

Got home late last night around 230a, parked in my normal spot in front of the crib. woke up quick at about noon just thought that i had to be in compton soon, took a peek outside the window while showerin' to admire my car and something just didn't look right.....

after a few moments it clicked. my roof rack was gone. motherfuckers pryed the fuck out of it with a crow bar and took off with it. just for reference (be on the lookout socal heads), it was a yakima setup with the powderhound SE snow/ski and Copperhead Bike attachment with fork. All attachments and towers were locked. it was more than just a 600$ (retail) setup, this rack had lots of sentimental value to me. and in an instant, someone jacked me for it, because apparently they need it more than i do. it felt as if being raped and violated all with your eyes closed, oblivious to it.

I live on a dead end street so it was definitely someone in the hood that knew someone that maybe knew someone that decided they needed a rack. cuz there aren't any "passer-by's".

for those of you that know me, you remember when my car got vandalized at the movie theatre, and recently someone backed into my car and i had just gotten it back from the shop. so it goes back in again tmw. contemplating going back to stock...cuz i can't win. with tints you get tickets. too low? scrape everything. have nice exterior accessories? raped and jacked in your sleep. you just can't win.

here's pics, just cuz. i have huge half-dollar sized dents along with the metal-deep scratches from them prying on the locked Q towers.

Name:  24003_104489339574258_100000395786137_117363_8005227_n.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  29.9 KB
Name:  l-1.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  54.9 KB
Name:  DSC05865.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  54.3 KB
Name:  DSC05868.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  66.9 KB

Old 01-22-2011, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
That sucks and sorry to hear about it. But just as you mentioned, that is why I like stock. I think it's pretty as it is and I don't like attracting un-wanted attention. My Harley is pretty much the same way. Granted, I converted it to a 1200 (bored cylinders, etc) but it looks like a stock 883.....something the average person wouldn't be interested in stealing.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to see that happened to your car. My conclusion if it's not bolted down, it's going to be gone pretty quick no matter where you are. (And sometimes even if it is bolted down.)

I can't believe the effort some criminals will go to steal something that wouldn't even have much value to them or on the used market. I've seen a pretty heavy duty safe destroyed for petty cash before. They'd make more money putting that energy into a paying job.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Jesus thats terrible, sorry man. I have the same fears. However I do have this same yakima setup myself I would be willing to sell ya. Q towers, bars, faring. Let me know if you interested.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM
That sucks. people will steal anything they can. The rack seems unlikely because o the time involved to take it off. The owner may come out and shoot them. They probably bent the hell out of it when taking it off. Maybe the shock-sensor alarm would have caused them to go to another car.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Well the Ex wife worked for a police department and seen this 100+ times that racks were stolen. I am canoe paddler and hear of this all the time from people that leave their racks on all the time. I remove mine after every use,just because of stories like yours. You leave it on your car,leave it in plain view,and have high end accessories inside & out,you are begging for attention from criminals. Were amateurs whomever took the rack ,because cheap core locks can be popped by dent puller in 30 seconds,or twisted out by a large screwdriver,and unlatched normally. Little noise,attention,or work,and very quick if they had help. For the time it takes to get a buddy to help remove the rack it would have been time worth spent if you live in an area where people don't come & go on a regular basis,know you and your car.

Sorry it happened,I feel your pain.

PaFitter

Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM
What has this world come to?? Who steals an effen roof rack? Hope they burn in hell!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by PaFitter
Well the Ex wife worked for a police department and seen this 100+ times that racks were stolen. I am canoe paddler and hear of this all the time from people that leave their racks on all the time. I remove mine after every use,just because of stories like yours. You leave it on your car,leave it in plain view,and have high end accessories inside & out,you are begging for attention from criminals. Were amateurs whomever took the rack ,because cheap core locks can be popped by dent puller in 30 seconds,or twisted out by a large screwdriver,and unlatched normally. Little noise,attention,or work,and very quick if they had help. For the time it takes to get a buddy to help remove the rack it would have been time worth spent if you live in an area where people don't come & go on a regular basis,know you and your car.

Sorry it happened,I feel your pain.

PaFitter
its cause people use it as fashion. not as function.

but yeah sorry to hear about this. hope insurance fixes everything.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
If it helps at all? That is really just too bad. I don't need to tell you it sucks, because you already know that better than I.

There is a huge psychological aspect to being robbed that is IMO actually often more damaging than the loss of the property. Other than the usual "insurance claims", "police reports"...my advice would be do nothing...

It's a bad day. But it will pass. Property can be replaced and damage repaired.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Sucks dude. Hope everything works out for you.

The cheapest alarm system with shock sensors probably would have stopped it from getting completely stolen and prevent all that damage to your car.

After all is said and done, if you decide to spend 600 on a roof rack I would also spend the 300-400 on a decent alarm.

Later,

Clay

Old 01-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
man that's just messed up, sorry this happened to you.

it's unfortunate that all this crap is making you reconsider modifying the car...people should keep their hands off others' shit

Old 01-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet

There is a huge psychological aspect to being robbed that is IMO actually often more damaging than the loss of the property. Other than the usual "insurance claims", "police reports"...my advice would be do nothing...

It's a bad day. But it will pass. Property can be replaced and damage repaired.
amen to that.
yea, i was thinking about that. there's a sense of uneasiness and extra emotions of being violated that just doesnt sit right in the stomach. the stuff is gone, i didn't even contemplate calling the cops..i just didn't.

Originally Posted by doctordoom

it's unfortunate that all this crap is making you reconsider modifying the car...people should keep their hands off others' shit
real spit.

Originally Posted by naMtiF
Sucks dude. Hope everything works out for you.

The cheapest alarm system with shock sensors probably would have stopped it from getting completely stolen and prevent all that damage to your car.

After all is said and done, if you decide to spend 600 on a roof rack I would also spend the 300-400 on a decent alarm.

Later,

Clay
600 is the retail value for that setup, i didn't spend nearly as much. what was important to me was the sentimental value.

shock sensors wouldn't have made an alarm go off if they're just prying on the rack against the car since there isn't really any "shock" hitting the car to trigger the sensor. although if i had motion sensors that'd be a different story and would have definitely gone off.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
FUCKERS fuckers FUCKERS!!!!!! I HOPE THE ROT IN HELL - IM A FIRM BELIEVER OF WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND -these punks will have something happen that just sucks and trust me it will be the KARMA TRAIN!!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 PM
I had my drivers side window smashed last night and my new Pioneer head unit ripped out. I've only had this car a month.....

Everything said above in this thread is true. I don't understand why people can't leave other people's shit alone. I do feel violated, and it sucks that I can't have nice things because some douchebag is just going to fuck up my stuff to take what they want.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Jealous people suck

Old 01-22-2011, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Damn that sucks. Hopefully the thugs die. Start saving up the money you spend on mods that get stolen and move to a place with a garage. It's not full proof but very effective.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
did yours have locks on the Q towers?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Motherfuckers! to make things worse they totally scratched up your car. That sucks dude

Old 01-22-2011, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your rack but I've been hearing of racks getting stolen a lot lately.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by 90 DGRZ
amen to that.
yea, i was thinking about that. there's a sense of uneasiness and extra emotions of being violated that just doesnt sit right in the stomach. the stuff is gone, i didn't even contemplate calling the cops..i just didn't.

real spit.

600 is the retail value for that setup, i didn't spend nearly as much. what was important to me was the sentimental value.

shock sensors wouldn't have made an alarm go off if they're just prying on the rack against the car since there isn't really any "shock" hitting the car to trigger the sensor. although if i had motion sensors that'd be a different story and would have definitely gone off.
90 DGRZ has a point about shock sensors not going off for roof rack theft.

Shock sensors will only activate alarm when someone tried to hit your window after eyeing your sound system or tried to vandalize your car or tried to hit your wheel lock lug nuts with a hammer.

If you are thinking of putting in an alarm, you may as well ask how much more $$ if you include shock sensors, motion sensors (to protect roof rack) and tilt sensor (to protect your sports rims) and prevent the FIT from sitting on 4 bricks. Unfortunately for us, FIT owners, the whole alarm system may get too expensive after all the add-ons....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof Rack Stolen. D=