2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Question for Fit owners

Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Question for Fit owners

I've been considering leasing a Fit and I am planning on going tomorrow to test drive one, but the only thing that concerns me is the gas mileage. I was wondering what real world gas mileage people are getting? Basically, I can lease a Civic as cheaply as a Fit and it gets better gas mileage and has more room, I'm just wondering why they EPA numbers are so low? My cousin just recently leased a Fiesta because of his long commute and he is getting about 40MPG highway and its basically a very similar car with similar dimensions and HP. Just seems like the Fit is rated kinda low for a econo car. I wouldn't be to concerned about 3-4 MPG difference, but 7MP will start to add up on a long trip.

Last edited by kpot2004; 02-17-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I live in Knoxville, TN. I have continually gotten around 30-32mpg around town. You also have to consider that I don't live in somewhere where it is completely flat. I'm driving up and down hills all day. However, I do go to school about an hour and a half away, and when I make the drive there, I get about 33-36mpg, depending on the speed I go. But if I would encourage you to not lease a car. If your credit is good, you can get an interest rate of .9%. That's great. Why would you rent a car for a few years when you can buy one and keep it?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Your debate between the Civic and Fit might come down to how you need to use the car. I needed the cargo area and the Fit is perfect that way. I think the Civic might give passengers in the back seat a little more room.(if I am wrong someone please correct me.) So, room for stuff or room for passengers?
As for mileage I live in a flat area and average high 30's in the summer.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
I chose the Fit over the Civic because the Fit was more fun to drive, and I needed the storage space for band gear.

FWIW, my real world average for the first year (17,000) milles was around 38.5 MPG. I also don't understand the low EPA figures. I have a 5 spd manual, and get my best mileage at 45-60 MPH on two lane roads (where I can get 39-42 MPG easily). Use of cruise control at 65 or higher will drop fuel economy significantly (to mid 30's). I've never owned a car that was as sensitive to driving conditions and use as far as actual fuel economy.

In the end, it was the fun factor for me:

Civic=ZZZZZZZ
Fit=

Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I chose the Fit over the Civic because the Fit was more fun to drive, and I needed the storage space for band gear.

FWIW, my real world average for the first year (17,000) milles was around 38.5 MPG. I also don't understand the low EPA figures. I have a 5 spd manual, and get my best mileage at 45-60 MPH on two lane roads (where I can get 39-42 MPG easily). Use of cruise control at 65 or higher will drop fuel economy significantly (to mid 30's). I've never owned a car that was as sensitive to driving conditions and use as far as actual fuel economy.

In the end, it was the fun factor for me:

Civic=ZZZZZZZ
Fit=
Well that has me reassured a little. I'm a little concerned about such low mileage for highway driving though, my mom drives a 2006 Impala and gets 32MPG on the freeway and its a V6 and pretty big car. I have already test drove the Civic, I guess I am willing to trade a little fuel economy for a car thats more fun to drive, but I'll have to reserve judgment until I actually drive it tomorrow.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I like to keep my Fit in VTEC as often as possible, and I still manage an average of 35 mpg. If you're easier on the throttle, and don't drive it like you hate it, then you should easily average more. Don't forget, that 40mpg that manufacturers love to tout is for highway-rating. 40mpg while cruising at 65 on a flat surface really isn't that hard, even in the Fit.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
The EPA rating is low imo. You can do much better with a little effort. The storage space and options really make it a great car. I would dare say I have more usable space for all of my stuff in my Fit than in my previous '07 BMW 530. I'm not just talking trunk either. The Fit has pockets,cubbies,cupholders,seats that fold different ways... It's flexible,economical without feeling like an econobox,and you get alot for the money imo. As someone else pointed out,Honda is offering .9% financing for 5 years (that's what I got). That is hard to ignore and chose to lease. I recently got 43 MPG on a long highway trip going about 61 mph for the majority of the time. I always get better mpg than the sticker says. The only thing I don't like, is the small fuel tank.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM
^^^keeping the fit in the 5k rpm range and still get 35mpg??? wow

Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Leets
If you're easier on the throttle, and don't drive it like you hate it, then you should easily average more.
In my experience with the Fit, I have seen that mpg is actually REDUCED by babying the throttle. Honda's VTEC engines like to be revved, and the Fit is no exception. Quite simply, the Fit just doesn't drive right under gentle throttle applications; my fuel economy has suffered when I have driven the Fit in this way.

I have about 1400 miles on my Fit now and babying the throttle on one tank netted me about 26-27 mpg. More aggressive throttle applications and I now easily get within 30-35 mpg every tank. (My driving is about 60/40 highway/city, mostly flat, 60 miles daily commute) Forum members TheEvilOne and Krimson pointed this out in another thread...and they are right...to quote Krimson from that thread "let the Fit get where it want to go" with regards to engine speed. That will give you the best fuel economy and best performance.

Regarding the OPs comparison of Fit vs. Civic: I have a Fit Sport auto w/paddles; wifey has a Civic LX coupe auto. It depends on what you want in a car. Wifey's Civic is much smoother and quieter than the Fit. However, my Fit is more versatile and is much more fun to drive.

If you value smoothness and comfort in driving (not that the Fit is uncomfortable, quite the opposite, but you know what I mean), then the Civic is best for you.

If you value driving fun, quick handling performance, and versatility and don't mind putting up with more road noise and a stiffer, less cushy ride, go with the Fit.

Me, myself? I like my wife's Civic a lot. It is quite relaxing to drive...not that it wallows, but it is more coddling than the Fit.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:43 PM
EDIT: hit the damn post button on my Droid by accident!

Anyway, even though the Civic is more pleasant to drive, the Fit is more fun. Much more fun. That is why I love my Fit and why I would never consider a Civic over it.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:44 PM
I bought my fit less than a month ago and haven't been getting stellar gas mileage in town, anywhere from 8.0 L/100km to 11.0 which is 20 to 30 mpg, usually closer to 22 mpg. But thats in winter conditions doing short trips, and not plugging in the block heater, so the worst kind of gas mileage i could get.

Just took mine out on the highway and was getting around 37 mpg but that was up and down hills and in horrible winter conditions with snow, slush and compact snow, I'm thinking that in ideal conditions I should probably easily do 40 mpg.

EDIT: I have an auto i thought i'd mention

Last edited by ebouwman; 02-17-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by MikePDaTruth
In my experience with the Fit, I have seen that mpg is actually REDUCED by babying the throttle. ... I have a Fit Sport auto w/paddles
Yep, well I found the source of your problem: wrong transmission.

Seriously, though, I drive the manual, and with this transmission there is a lot more room to "play" with the mileage. I don't doubt that the auto Fit is a different animal, but I think it's safe to say that excellent mileage can be achieved with both. It all depends on how determined you are.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
My Lifetime Stats are in my sig and they are probably about .25mpg low (due to the fact I'm running slightly larger than OEM tires which has thrown my mileage off for the last 2K miles (Last 2Kmiles has been about .6mpg-.7mpg lower than actual). All of my mileage is country roads 40-50mph with some 25mph towns and a few stop signs. 26miles each direction for work. also my mileage is based upon 2 Falls, 2 Winters, 1 spring & 1 summer. The 1st Fall was also during break-in so I expect that by the time my 2 yr anniversary comes around, I'll be back up above 38mpg (calculated). Is the Fiesta mileage calculated or just from his computer. (note the fit's computer for 2009 often times read 4mpg high - so might the Fiesta's). Search the forum for "1 year & 38mpg" and you'll see a thread started by me that has my 1 yr experience in the FIT.

Of note, the Fiesta doesn't perform anywhere near as well as the Fit but it gets about the same economy. Edmunds has the 0-60 of the sport 5MT at 9.5 while they have the Fiesta at 10.5. they also have the edmunds "real world economy" at 31.5 for the Fiesta and 31.3 for the FIT. (remember these are Edmunds drivers who in my opinion always seem to be on the low side of economy.) The Fit is the perfect balance of sport & utility and can haul 4 (or even 5) comfortably unlike any of the competition. The Fiesta doesn't have anywhere near the room that the fit has for passengers or storage. Ford improved the Aero by chopping out a huge amount of space & utility. the fiesta is a nice car but it is no FIT, especially if a family is involved.

That said, if economy is your bag and you'd like a more comfortable vehicle (not that the fit is bad at all), I'd go for the Civic. It is a Class above the FIT (here in the US) and is quieter, more comfortable, and gets better economy but it definitely doesn't have the versatility of the fit.

~SB

Edit - added link

Last edited by specboy; 02-17-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added link like I said in the body of the post damnit :)
Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I drove both the fiesta and the Fit The fiesta just felt ODD but fast. also the fiesta has zero room in it.

I also im leasing an 11 fit. my daily commute to work is 30 miles all stop and go I get 30mpg in my 5 speed as soon as I hit the highway the #s just shoot up.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Read Car & Driver and Consumer Reports and many other reputable automotive publications, they test the cars in real world situations (unlike EPA testing). What generally comes out tops? Honda Fit. I specifically bought the Fit because it had more room than a Civic. And it was more fun to drive. And because it wasn't what Joe Shmo drives. And, and, and...

The most important part is because it has that intangible 'soul' or 'spirit' that the Civic just lacks completely. Older Civics had it, and I hope the Fit doesn't lose it in future model years. Some GD3 drivers might say it's gone already.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 PM
you can still get 40mpg on highways when you are cruising at about 65, i usually cruise between 70-75 and i still get about 38mpg but my city driving gets me about 31-32 mpg because LA has a lot of traffic

Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Leets
Yep, well I found the source of your problem: wrong transmission.

Seriously, though, I drive the manual, and with this transmission there is a lot more room to "play" with the mileage. I don't doubt that the auto Fit is a different animal, but I think it's safe to say that excellent mileage can be achieved with both. It all depends on how determined you are.
Ha Ha, a comedian I see

To be honest though, I do find that both my gas mileage and performance is improved by using the paddle shifters instead of just letting the auto do its own thing...I've posted about that in another thread. The main reason why I opted for the auto Sport is because the times of my commute are in the thick of rush-hour traffic on I-95 and I'm too lazy to row gears in that stop-and-go crap.

Hey at least I admit it

Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by kpot2004
I've been considering leasing a Fit and I am planning on going tomorrow to test drive one, but the only thing that concerns me is the gas mileage. I was wondering what real world gas mileage people are getting? Basically, I can lease a Civic as cheaply as a Fit and it gets better gas mileage and has more room, I'm just wondering why they EPA numbers are so low? My cousin just recently leased a Fiesta because of his long commute and he is getting about 40MPG highway and its basically a very similar car with similar dimensions and HP. Just seems like the Fit is rated kinda low for a econo car. I wouldn't be to concerned about 3-4 MPG difference, but 7MP will start to add up on a long trip.
Gotta ask: You're worried about the small difference in frugality due to fuel economy, but you're planning on renting a car for 2-3 years? Who the hell leases a Fit? Or a Fiesta? If you're that concerned about economy, buy a used Civic or Fit, rather than paying 3 years of payments and having nothing to show for it at the end. That's like worrying about a bit of transfat in your diet and sucking down a pack of Marlboro Reds a day.

The Civic doesn't have more room - the space is allocated a bit differently (i.e. more legroom, less headroom) but the pax compartment is the same.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
Gotta ask: You're worried about the small difference in frugality due to fuel economy, but you're planning on renting a car for 2-3 years? Who the hell leases a Fit? Or a Fiesta? If you're that concerned about economy, buy a used Civic or Fit, rather than paying 3 years of payments and having nothing to show for it at the end. That's like worrying about a bit of transfat in your diet and sucking down a pack of Marlboro Reds a day.

The Civic doesn't have more room - the space is allocated a bit differently (i.e. more legroom, less headroom) but the pax compartment is the same.

Occam- True oh so true!

FWIW- I have a 2010 Sport AT-- I average 28-31 in town. My car gets its best mpg on highways averaging 50-65 mph--then I will get high 30's even 41 mpg.
On a cross country trip this summer driving Interstates at 70- 80 mph, I also got high 30's

Old 02-18-2011, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam

I'm looking to get into a new car as cheaply as possible, and I like the idea of driving a new car every few years.

Also, gas mileage is a big concern for me, even with the fit getting 33MPG that would save me over $100 a month in gas over my current car. I'm paying at least $250 a month now just in gas, and they are talking about $4 a gallon by the end of the year. Maybe you have a ton of $$$ to spend on gas but not everyone does, for me every MPG helps.

Anyways, I did take the Fit for a test drive this morning and came away really impressed. If the onboard MPG meter is right, I was keeping it at 40MPG on the freeway quite easily. All they had were autos but even with the auto I was surprised how fast I could accelerate up to freeway speeds. Also liked the layout of the dash a lot and they ride was ok, if a little rough. My local Honda dealer seemed to be really pushing the Civics like crazy though and didn't really even seem to want to discuss the Fit with me at all. Even though Honda website is saying $190 a month lease until the end of February they said they weren't participating in that, which I found rather odd. They only wanted to talk about how cheaply they could get me in a Civic and how its so much more comfortable and gets better MPG then the Fit.

Last edited by kpot2004; 02-18-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for Fit owners