2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Low temperature indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
wedgecon plus to you. Good point many don't realize. I became obsessed with the digital coolant temp gauge in my 96 DeVille. I had never seen an accurate temperature readout on a performance V-8 before. Then, what you've noted was pointed out to me.

Thing with the Cadillac was the temps swung quite a large range - hitting 220F at times. Not something a soccer Mom would want to see or try to understand lol

The Fit seems to get to that 175-180F level and stay there nicely. I'm seeing it on my new UltraGauge.

what temp does ur fan turn on? but on my gauge says the fit runs ~ 180 while driving around

Old 02-19-2011, 06:50 PM
[B]Not something a soccer Mom would want to see or try to understand lol
The Krimson Cardnal is a soccer mom?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Farther - you outed me!!! And after you promised...

I've got no idea on the fan fitisbamf My thought is it will be different w/ or w/o A/C on. I'll see if I can figure it out. One thing the Cadillac has hands down over the Fit is a factory service manual that clearly shows repair procedures and also includes valuable diagnostic info. Honda lacks in this regard.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Honestly, that is one thing I dislike not having in my Fit. I would love to have a mechanical engine temperature gauge just to have a piece of mind because I'm always scared of my cars overheating.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by srkishy
Whoa now, I'm just saying I don't like the light, not like I'm saying I hate the car or anything, I love it. Like everyone in this thread has said though, I've been used to a gauge, so I've never had to deal with a cold engine light before, and I wasn't sure if it was normal for it to be on every time I started the car, if it is normal, then yeah, I'll get used to it. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Whoaed up.

Even with a gauge would we remember to look at it? Hell say you blow a hose, will you be looking at the gauge at that moment so you can shut it down right away? I doubt it.

On a trip to FL in my '83 Chevy Shaggin wagon I blew a hose south of Atl. First indication was the steam rolling up over the windshield. Then I looked at the gauge. It was pegged. Oh what a long day that was and expensive.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitsMePerfect
Honestly, that is one thing I dislike not having in my Fit. I would love to have a mechanical engine temperature gauge just to have a piece of mind because I'm always scared of my cars overheating.
Just get a Scangauge or something similar.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by FitsMePerfect
There are solutions available. Look into UltraGauge, ScanGauge and EcoRoute HD. The first give you 50gauges to pick 18 to display and the HD needs to be connected to a Garmin GPS, but will give you a choice to display five out of 10 or so. Many on this forum have been using the ScanGauge, however, the Ultra is the least expensive and most comprehensive of the three by far. All will display coolant temp plus a whole lot more.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Morning Coyote - we got snowed on last night!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Morning Coyote - we got snowed on last night!
It's 70 degrees and humid here.... The kind of situation that makes an old guy ache all over... At least when everything is frozen it is also dry..

Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farther
The Krimson Cardnal is a soccer mom?
That is horrible.... He told me he was a piano player at a whore house.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 AM
You would think so, but winter dew points can be just as uncomfortable as summer dew points. It's what we call bone chilling weather, the kind you're seeing this AM but cold as well. When the humidity is low we call it bitter, or like my daughter says, wicked cold.

I've figured out that old guys can ache all over for just about any reason. This winter has been a real PIA. Records show we've only seen 10" more than the average on sow fall, but it's been piling up since Thanksgiving - that's unusual. That makes me ache.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Soccer mom's play piano's. We try to blow the harp too...

Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
It waited until Easter to snow last winter.. Spring time is the worse time of the year for arthritis and mosquitoes and summer is just too damned hot to do much of anything.. There is a lake about 30 miles away that is used to cool an electric generating plant.. I am thinking about going swimming and loosen up some bones, That water is always warm and down right hot in the summer. I'll come up and accompany you on some blues numbers... You can just imagine how I want to be paid.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 AM
HA - makes me laugh, had a friend - no longer with us - who came up with the catch phrase, "Nuke the whales!". Threw me until I got it. The thought of the therapeutic value of power plant cooling ponds is killing me. And, as did Joe's quote - it makes sense to a 'soccer mom' like me...

Not much of the jalapeno but this is one way we do it around these parts: Core Vodka, Harvest Spirits LLC, Valatie, NY - Small Batch Distilled from Hudson Valley Apples

Makes you rethink applesauce.... and crying the blues.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
My favorite bumper sticker of all time and possibly the ultimate laugh getter read "Nuke A Gay Commie Whale For Jesus"... We used to have frozen margaritas and tequila sunrise's made with a combination of cheap mezcal and Everclear... Through all of the ingredients into a blender with ice cubes and store it in the freezer, serve it in thick heavy beer mugs.. It maintains a a slushy consistency no matter how cold your freezer is and if it didn't you needed to add more Everclear until you got it right.... My wife and I jumped back and forth into Mexico while on vacation right after getting the Fit and bought a mess of Puro Cano which is Mexican Everclear (195 proof) and several bottle of Mezcal and went to South Padre Island the day after the season closed... We got all kinds of messed up, made up another batch and went out to an empty beach. While I obsessively was picking up sea shells she was wandering around in the sand dunes and had passed out.... It took me a long time to find her.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Everclear is, as I have mindlessly discovered, one of the world's greatest oxymoron's.

Time to sign off and gear up for the Phoenix Race!

Happy motoring to all...

Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 PM
Red face Honda Fit Low Temp Indicator

I just bought a 2017 FIT on Monday. The low temp indicator came on in the morning. I don't live where it's freezing, but it's around 65 in the morning. I was so pissed, but then the light went away after about a minute. It did it again today at noon. I called the dealer. They said this is a common thing with FITs. I wish someone would've warned me.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
I like the light...I notice it more than a gauge.
I do know that the Fit engine reaches operating temp a lot faster than I'm used to with other cars I own.
My Prelude takes quite a bit longer for the gauge to even budge.
Must be because of the small engine size.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
This is an old thread.
One in which I commented years ago, when I owned my Gen 2.

But things haven't changed.

Personally, I don't understand anyone's "anger" or being upset about the low temp indicator.
IMO, it's just more information about your engine, that you can use.
For me? I just use it as a warning, to not be too hard on the engine until the light goes off. It's just telling you, your engine is not fully warmed up. Your engine after sitting can be not fully warmed up,- regardless of the outside temperature.

I find it useful.
When I had older vehicles with just the classic Cold to Hot temperature gauge, I tended to simply ignore it.
The low temp light, at least I notice and it gives me a clear start and stop to warm up.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
Some people just should not be allowed to own a car. Geez lady you need to learn what that light means. It does not mean it was freezing. It simply tells you the car is not up to operating temp. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Quick Reply: Low temperature indicator