2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna mount replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Antenna mount replacement

So, I've managed to break off the antenna in the base and also have possibly broken the mount itself (don't ask).

The question for the day is this. Is it possible to replace the antenna mount without removing the entire headliner.

The local body shop I trust gave me fast quote (sight unseen) of about $500 to pull the headliner down, massage the metal a bit and replace the mount. The radio still works fine but I'm worried about possible leakage when it rains.

I've read the headliner pull down by mike410 and would really rather not take the whole thing down. I've got a bad track record of not getting plastic back in the same way it was originally installed.

2009 Honda Fit Sport. K&N air filter (whooo, look at the rebel go with his air filter replacement!)

Old 03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Just inside the hatch there's a plastic clip in the headliner. Remove that. Gently pull the headliner out of the rubber gasket along the top of the hatch opening. You should be able to pull it down a bit to reach in to the nut on the inside of the antenna base. A stubby ratchet works well in the tight space you have to work in.

Not sure how the antenna cable is attached and you will have a short lead in that the cable is secured along the inside.

I did pull it to fit an XM through the roof to under a sharkfin I installed.

Careful you don't crease the headliner.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Sweet!

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give that a try. Unfortunately I've got big hands/arms. I hope I don't crease it.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Use the trick I do for big hands in small holes: Get everything ready for the tight work (make the hole), then find someone who has smaller hands/arms and ask for help. Wives, sisters, children are all good candidates - just remember to phrase your request in such a fashion that having small hands is a compliment. "Honey, my hand just won't fit, could you help me for a minute?" usually works for me.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Good trick - I've used it a few times myself. The headliner is rather flexible, the issue might be getting the nut off. It's surprisingly large. A stubby ratchet or a ratchet box end is best. It's not on tight so that's in your favor.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Hmm

Do you know if the antenna cable is the normal automotive plug type? I could just assume but you know.....(GRIN)

Old 03-17-2011, 09:15 PM
It's hung on the base quite well, not sure what it is. Didn't try to disconnect. There is precious little slack in the cable to work with, though I'm sure it can be done.

Looking in the FSM I see the lead from the base goes down to a connection behind the rear quarter trim. Looks like that needs to come off as well. The base includes the lead.