2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those who have the center console/armrest

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Question for those who have the center console/armrest

Had mine installed today and just wondering if everyone has theirs an equal distance between their front seats? Only asking as mine seems to be real close to the passenger seat compared to the drivers seat. Not really a big deal, suppose it has to do more with how the center console is reinstalled. On my wifes Fit the center console seems a little closer to the drivers seat (shrug)

Also is the armrest supposed to be rock solid with no play? I thought I saw others mention rock solid but there is a little bit of side to side wiggle if you grab it based on how high it sits up from the OEM console

Not gripes, just observations

Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Sounds like you're describing mine. Guess it is what it is.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
It's pretty solid, the only movement should be what you would expect from a steel frame (only slight).

As you probably know from your own attempt at installing it, there are six bolts holding the armrest to the car.

The problem is, any of the bolts being loose can give it more play than it should. The two on the side are the easier pair to check, the remaining four require you to take the console back out. If you do, at least the bolts around the brake cable are in.

However, that being said. There's a phrase used a lot, "you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself." My translation of it is more of, you're never quite sure how(well) it's done, except when you did it. My point, it's possible they did what you tried not to... hit the same snag and just powered their way through. If they did (and I can't say that they did)... it could prevent one of the bolts from being tightened down properly, leaving you with some more give.

On a side note: if you're willing to waste a little gas... I stuffed myself into my car and closed the doors when I was installing my armrest. And I'm 6' tall.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
I doesn't move or wobble at all when I have my arm on it...just if I grab it and push from side to side it will wiggle...more-so when the top is extended...like I said I sort of expect this because it is an extra piece mounted up higher and lets face it...the plastic is pretty flimsy on that oem console piece. I have a feeling that if they powered their way through the threads and created new ones that they mashed it down with and impact gun...but I totally hear what you are saying

How about you side to side clearance?

I know what you mean about room...yesterday when I was attempting to install I was able to stand (albeit hunched over) in the back and I'm close to 6' myself lol I've never done that in a car before

Old 04-02-2011, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is centered. My only gripe with the center console is that it isn't as close to my drivers side as my stock arm rest was. I kind of have to move my arm a little bit to the right to rest on it. It's great though, I keep my sunglasses in there lol.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:23 PM
mine is closer to the drivers side for sure, any of the wiggle is probably in the hinge area.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by calrose rice
Mine is centered. My only gripe with the center console is that it isn't as close to my drivers side as my stock arm rest was. I kind of have to move my arm a little bit to the right to rest on it. It's great though, I keep my sunglasses in there lol.

Yes I thought the same thing..it is sort of farther away than the arm rest....I figure with time I'll get used to it.

Hmm..on the wiggle..I can move it maybe 1/2 and inch in either direction if I grab the top of it. Seem like whole stock moves..I can't imagine the tech would not have tightened something...it seems pretty easy to bolt all the pieces together?

As far as lining the center console up...is that controlled by the 2 base screws? Or maybe just the way the center console is from the factory, luck of the draw?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
My center armrest is shifted to the passenger seat also. I actually hadn't noticed until just now. Mine also shifts a little from side to side.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mike998
My center armrest is shifted to the passenger seat also. I actually hadn't noticed until just now. Mine also shifts a little from side to side.

I wonder if there is an adjustment that could bring it back to center...did you install yours or dealer?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
I finished installing mine today but I noticed that it wobbled a lot so I tried to tighten the lower bolts and one of them was loose so as I tightened, I went too far and it snapped so I have to get a replacement one. I might have to remove the whole thing to make sure all the bolts are secure now because it wobbles a lot more than I would like it to.

It is pretty much in the middle of the car. I also installed the Mugen assembly which was cake.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alfonsoldc
I finished installing mine today but I noticed that it wobbled a lot so I tried to tighten the lower bolts and one of them was loose so as I tightened, I went too far and it snapped so I have to get a replacement one. I might have to remove the whole thing to make sure all the bolts are secure now because it wobbles a lot more than I would like it to.

It is pretty much in the middle of the car. I also installed the Mugen assembly which was cake.
Were you sure that the snapped bolt was threading through the hole properly? You might've mis-threaded it, because it takes a LOT of force to snap a bolt, unless it was plain defective, and by then, the head should've been pretty secure.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Blackberry Goose
I wonder if there is an adjustment that could bring it back to center...did you install yours or dealer?
I installed it myself. Not really any adjustment that I could see. The only thing you might be able to do is loosen up the two large bolts that bolt the arm rest to the base bracket and see if you can make up some room with the slop in the bolt holes. I may look at it some more tomorrow night if I have any time.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Were you sure that the snapped bolt was threading through the hole properly? You might've mis-threaded it, because it takes a LOT of force to snap a bolt, unless it was plain defective, and by then, the head should've been pretty secure.
Well that's a good question. I thought it was threaded correctly. It was really strange when it happened maybe I'm that strong. I haven't had time to look at it today but tomorrow I'll remove the whole console and take a look at the damage. I'll go to autozone and get a replacement 6x25 hex bolt.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone have pics of their center armrest console? Like to see some pics especially shot from back seat just to compare

Thnaks

Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
I installed mine myself and the armrest is centered and ultra solid. I just wish the armrest was a bit higher and longer.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I snapped the same bolt installing mine. Those small bolts can't take a whole lot of force. If you're using a socket driver, its easy to exceed snapping force.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Yours is the real Honda Fit upgrade armrest right? I had mine installed last week and I'm very happy with it. Mine looks pretty centerred and feels pretty solid considering it's attached to the plastic center console. I have to push on it sideways fairly hard just to get it to deflect 1cm.

I watched the Honda tech install it. He removed the center console, turned it upside down, drilled 4 holes in it and put 4 screws thru those holes and into the new armrest. He even gave me the pages for the istallation procedure because I asked him for em.

Here's a few pics of mine:
Name:  FitArmrest1.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  FitArmrest3.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  FitArmrest4.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  39.7 KB

Originally Posted by Blackberry Goose
Had mine installed today and just wondering if everyone has theirs an equal distance between their front seats? Only asking as mine seems to be real close to the passenger seat compared to the drivers seat. Not really a big deal, suppose it has to do more with how the center console is reinstalled. On my wifes Fit the center console seems a little closer to the drivers seat (shrug)

Also is the armrest supposed to be rock solid with no play? I thought I saw others mention rock solid but there is a little bit of side to side wiggle if you grab it based on how high it sits up from the OEM console

Not gripes, just observations

Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Oh and lastly I really like the way the upper part of the armrest (the leather part) slides forward and provides a more comfortable and forward place to put your forearm. I thought that slide mechanism would be flimsy at first but (again) it's pretty solid. I know most of the aftermarket center armrests (like Zeta) don't have this slide forward feature. This is one part I'd definitely say spend the extra money and get the real deal Honda part. IMHO this part is made with quality and is made very well.

Name:  FitArmrest2.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  40.8 KB

Last edited by Sacman; 04-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:38 PM
You know that armrest slides forward so you can place your arm more comfortably on it right?
Name:  FitArmrest2.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  40.8 KB

Last edited by Sacman; 04-11-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Sacman

The OE armrest has a steel inner frame that attaches to the metal body of the car.

Two screws hold the armrest to the console. Two bolts hold one bracket to armrest (through the console).
Two bolts hold that bracket to another bracket which has two last bolts attaching it to the car.

Quick Reply: Question for those who have the center console/armrest