2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

planning to install HIDS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 PM
planning to install HIDS

ok, this is my 2nd mod coz i just installed a GREDDY SE axle-back yesterday. now im planning to install a 5000k bi-xenon HID but my main concern is if they will work on our stock DRL? please let me know and also if the bulb for our headlight is 9003/HB2? thanks in advance! im dying to get this in my car! lol

Last edited by fit_2010; 04-11-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
no the DRLs will not function properly with the installation of hids. you must pull fuse #15 from the fuse box to prevent unwanted behavior.

i forget all the headlight number jumble but i know it's h4.

disclaimer: HID kits in a reflector bowl designed for halogens will cause glare to oncoming traffic. for proper HID results please look into retrofitting a set of HID projectors so you can have real HIDs.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
no the DRLs will not function properly with the installation of hids. you must pull fuse #15 from the fuse box to prevent unwanted behavior.

disclaimer: HID kits in a reflector bowl designed for halogens will cause glare to oncoming traffic. for proper HID results please look into retrofitting a set of HID projectors so you can have real HIDs.
+1 on the retrofit. Many reasons not to do it dealt with in a number of threads on this (and every other) forum.

Research it and do it right the first time.

~SB

Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Or save some money and buy a set of higher wattage Hella bulbs. I replaced my HID kit with them, BIG improvement.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Aim your headlights to the proper height first, and only run the foglights in fog/snow/rain. The fogs fool your brain into thinking you can see further by putting lots of light right ahead of the car when it's the light far away from the car that should be looked at. The stock headlights are aimed into the ground from the factory.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by JJIN

thanks for that info! i checked sylvania and it shows 9003/HB2

Originally Posted by specboy
+1 on the retrofit. Many reasons not to do it dealt with in a number of threads on this (and every other) forum.

Research it and do it right the first time.

retrofit?

will do! thanks!

~SB
Originally Posted by jadr09fit
Aim your headlights to the proper height first, and only run the foglights in fog/snow/rain. The fogs fool your brain into thinking you can see further by putting lots of light right ahead of the car when it's the light far away from the car that should be looked at. The stock headlights are aimed into the ground from the factory.
i dont think i need that coz the car is not lowered. so i think im ok.

Originally Posted by Speedee 09 Fit
Or save some money and buy a set of higher wattage Hella bulbs. I replaced my HID kit with them, BIG improvement.
higher wattage? what do you mean by that? 35W wont last?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit_2010
thanks for that info! i checked sylvania and it shows 9003/HB2

i dont think i need that coz the car is not lowered. so i think im ok.

higher wattage? what do you mean by that? 35W wont last?
The headlights are 9003/h2

Before going the HID route, try aiming the headlights. The factory Aim has a tendency to be a bit low so often times aiming the headlights correctly can improve your lighting (if this is what your goals actually are.)

Higher wattage bulbs produce more lumens. think about a 60 watt bulb in a lamp vs a 100 watt bulb... the 100w is brighter. you have to worry though about whether or not the wiring from the factory can handle 55W without overheating and possibly frying the wires.

The real question is what you are looking for. HID gives a certain "look" while producing little if any more usable light output. there's not doubt that more light is output but Much of it is either not useful or actually impedes in vision when installed in a halogen reflector housing. so for useable light, it is either the same or less (a lot may depend on your eye's sensitivity to light). The other side effect is glare for oncoming traffic which many of us hate.

~SB

Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
... The other side effect is glare for oncoming traffic which many of us hate.

~SB
More than just hate. It's a safety issue!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Since this debate always comes up I want to do a test and see how accurate everyone is.

Please state if you think the picture is HID projector (stock or aftermarket) or HID drop in halogen housing.
I will post the answers later.

HID1

HID2

HID3

HID4

HID5

HID6

HID7

Last edited by Fitatstic; 04-12-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
to be honest, this won't be a fair Question as there are no standards and wayy to many variables.
is it the same camera and same night?
the ambient light is different in each picture so have the ISO & other settings be maintained?

I know drop in when I see it in person and it is awful. I also know drop-in when I'm behind the wheel of a vehicle with them because I can't see crap when I come upon a road with a larger number of street signs due to reflection.

Of note, i have light sensitive eyes (I sneeze 2-3x everytime I go out into the sun)

~SB

Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 AM
to be honest, this won't be a fair Question as there are no standards and wayy to many variables.
is it the same camera and same night?
the ambient light is different in each picture so have the ISO & other settings be maintained?

I know drop in when I see it in person and it is awful. I also know drop-in when I'm behind the wheel of a vehicle with them because I can't see crap when I come upon a road with a larger number of street signs due to reflection.

Of note, i have light sensitive eyes (I sneeze 2-3x everytime I go out into the sun)

~SB
Agreed..but this is just for fun. Based on your personal experience just guess.

Personally I've found that stock projectors with a HID drop in is the worse for blinding. They don't aim as well as an HID drop in an halogen fixture w/ reflector shields. Any HID drop-in w/ a OEM halogen projector or standard halogen lamp without reflector shield is going to be horrible. My point is all projectors are not equal...this is common mistake.

Last edited by Fitatstic; 04-12-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Correct on the All projectors...

they have to be HID Projectors. I know some subarus come with Projectors designed again for Halogen bulbs. the big issue is that when a Halogen bulb is lit, only the filament is producing light so there is a specific design that is used to reflect light from that one spot in the bulb. With a HID bulb, the entire bulb is lit as it is gas that is ignited. there is no always lit filament so there are infinite angles in a 2" area (the length of the bulb) from which the light can be emitted. There is no housing (either projector or reflector) that can accommodate both types of bulbs. customizations can be made to help cut down on glare or other side effects but they will also cut down on the usefulness of the aftermarket solution.

HID bulbs belong in HID housings (whether reflector or projector), Halogen belong in Halogen housings (again, whether reflector or projector).

~SB

Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitatstic
Agreed..but this is just for fun. Based on your personal experience just guess.

Personally I've found that stock projectors with a HID drop in is the worse for blinding. They don't aim as well as an HID drop in an halogen fixture w/ reflector shields. Any HID drop-in w/ a OEM halogen projector or standard halogen lamp without reflector shield is going to be horrible. My point is all projectors are not equal...this is common mistake.
i do not know what you are trying to prove here. we all specifically stated HID projectors, we did not say go drop some HID setup with a full ballast kit into your mama's 09'+ camry's halogen projectors.

i can say that i have seen some HID kits in some halogen reflector bowls that do not emit extreme amounts of glare but in 99.5% cases it blinds and glares anyone within proximity of the illumination.

the newer 09'+ honda fit sports (GE8) have alot of chrome bits that go even beyond the reflectors in the housing of the headlights which causes even more glare. the chrome shrouding(pieces screwed/attached onto the lens) are chrome which will bounce glare to the sides which is worse than the matte grey shrouding in the base models.

i have a full HID projector retrofit in my fit and i am planning to black out the shrouding to eliminate the light bouncing off the chrome.

the point is, if you do not want to piss off other drivers and would like to be a considerate modder use retrofits instead of dropping in HID pnp kits into the reflectors and claiming adjusting the aim will eliminate or reduce glare.

the only way youll reduce most of the glare coming out of a HID kit in a reflector would be to aim your headlights so youll only be able to illuminate ~40ft or less ahead of you. in that case, it would have been better to just keep the bulbs stock(or upgraded to brighter halogens) and have it aimed much further down the road with much more usable light instead of installing a HID kit that will reduce your distance illumination and usable light.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 PM
wow! thats a lot of comments! lol

i want to install HIDS because i just want my headlight brighter than stock. thats it. i dont care about the glare, etc... lol

and i created this thread its because im woriied on the DRL. thats it. thanks guys! ill be getting the bi-xenon HID kit soon! ill post some pics when i install it. =)

Old 04-12-2011, 03:43 PM
i dont care about the glare, etc... lol
You don't care that you are likely to annoy or endanger others on the road?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
wow! thats a lot of comments! lol

i want to install HIDS because i just want my headlight brighter than stock. thats it. i dont care about the glare, etc... lol

and i created this thread its because im woriied on the DRL. thats it. thanks guys! ill be getting the bi-xenon HID kit soon! ill post some pics when i install it. =)
It sounds like you are looking for more usable light correct?

If that is the case, PNP HID kits will likely not be any better for vision than a stock setup with better bulbs. PNP Kits not only produce glare for oncoming drivers but ALSO shine lots of light where you do not need it (off of everything else around you) which reflects back at you. when that happens your pupils constrict making you see less. What you need to have better usable light output is either better halogen bulbs or a HID projector retrofit so the additional light being produced by the bulbs is placed where you can use it.

Realistically, the only reason for PNP HID Kits is so that you can say you have HID lights. They don't do anything for seeing at night.

good bulbs... HOEN Xenonmatch, Philips (ultra?), etc.. will be the best solution for actual light output if a HID retrofit is not in your future.

People will say More light output is better all of the time. HUGE MYTH! only when it is usable.

~SB

Old 04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by txmatt
You don't care that you are likely to annoy or endanger others on the road?
most likely...

It sounds like you are looking for more usable light correct?

If that is the case, PNP HID kits will likely not be any better for vision than a stock setup with better bulbs. PNP Kits not only produce glare for oncoming drivers but ALSO shine lots of light where you do not need it (off of everything else around you) which reflects back at you. when that happens your pupils constrict making you see less. What you need to have better usable light output is either better halogen bulbs or a HID projector retrofit so the additional light being produced by the bulbs is placed where you can use it.

Realistically, the only reason for PNP HID Kits is so that you can say you have HID lights. They don't do anything for seeing at night.

good bulbs... HOEN Xenonmatch, Philips (ultra?), etc.. will be the best solution for actual light output if a HID retrofit is not in your future.

People will say More light output is better all of the time. HUGE MYTH! only when it is usable.

~SB
that is correct just PNP hid kit... im not gonna spend a lot of money just for the headlight...

Old 04-12-2011, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Money is a factor, but when you look at it in the long run those HID PNP kits will crap out on you sooner or later. With the PnP HID projector kits you can run OEM HID kits that last forever. I know mine has lasted 8yrs from an old BMW and still going strong till today. There are more pros than cons when it comes to the HID projector kit.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Gosh...you guys are no fun...anyways..here are the answers

HID1 (Honda Fit Bi-xenon w/ reflector shield)

HID2 (2011 Acura TL stock HID's)

HID3 (Honda Fit Bi-xenon w/ reflector shield)

HID4 (2007 Acura TL-S stock HID's)

HID5 (Subaru Outback aftermarket HID's in stock halogen projectors)

HID6 (Honda Accord w/ retrofit HID projectors)

HID7 (BMW Z4 stock HIDs)

Continue back to fighting now...later.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Correct on the All projectors...

they have to be HID Projectors. I know some subarus come with Projectors designed again for Halogen bulbs. the big issue is that when a Halogen bulb is lit, only the filament is producing light so there is a specific design that is used to reflect light from that one spot in the bulb. With a HID bulb, the entire bulb is lit as it is gas that is ignited. there is no always lit filament so there are infinite angles in a 2" area (the length of the bulb) from which the light can be emitted. There is no housing (either projector or reflector) that can accommodate both types of bulbs. customizations can be made to help cut down on glare or other side effects but they will also cut down on the usefulness of the aftermarket solution.

HID bulbs belong in HID housings (whether reflector or projector), Halogen belong in Halogen housings (again, whether reflector or projector).

~SB
Another misconception is that there are big difference between HID reflector housings and Halogen reflector housings. There is actually more to it than that. Any car with stock HID reflector housing actually comes with a different bulb (D2R) instead of a projector bulb D2S. The difference between D2R and D2S. bulbs is the ceramic paint located on the quartz capsule of D2R bulbs. The ceramic paint makes the D2R bulb ideal for applications that use reflection aiming instead of projection through a lens to illuminate the road.
See here...
http://www.hidbulbsource.com/sitebui...ed-228x211.jpg

Which is funny because this is exactly the same profile used on certain pnp kit with reflector shields.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...m9JUXZuM7w&t=1

Which I use. which you can tell from the pictures I posted above reduces glare considerably.

I believe drop in pnp kits without these reflector shields in halogen housings are what give these kits a bad name.
Like this....
http://www.intellexual.net/hids/5.jpg

Using a reflector shield makes a big difference...
Drop in PNP Kit with shield in a Civic..
http://www.gjlenterprise.com/civichidtest.jpg

A certain German sportscar of mine with $4K bi-xenon headlight projectors
http://www.gjlenterprise.com/civichidtest1.jpg

Last edited by Fitatstic; 04-13-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: planning to install HIDS