2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Byebye Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Cool Byebye Fit

Its official. Soon as I get back to AZ in May I gotta say goodbye to my Fit. It's a wonderful car, just not big enough for me and my growing family. Sucks taking almost a 5k hit on trade in value, but it is what it is. Thinking about getting an Altima with the 2.4 inline 4 to maintain gas mileage. Anyways, its been fun. Thanks guys

Old 04-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Similar boat here. Main reason I traded in my G37 coupe for the Fit was because I moved into the city. Now that I'm back in the burbs, I'm looking to upgrade (to an Audi S5). Not very practical, but I feel like this is my last fun chance before I get married, have kids, etc.

Also check out the new Hyundai Sonata--the original, hybrid, or turbo. It looks really nice.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I have to agree that what ever you want is the way to go but I do have to ask: what would the Altima do for you that the Fit doesn't?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM
More room. There's not enough room behind the front seats for a car seat. I can fit the one, but with the second on the way the Fit just won't cut it. The Altima has more rear seat room, thus allowing 2 car seats at once lol.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Your fit will no doubt find a great new home. Enjoy your new ride.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Time for a mini-van and a vasectomy.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by fitnaz
More room. There's not enough room behind the front seats for a car seat. I can fit the one, but with the second on the way the Fit just won't cut it. The Altima has more rear seat room, thus allowing 2 car seats at once lol.
Exwife had an Echo. When kid #2 came along, we swapped it for a CR-V.

Rear facing carseats are the devil. Remember, the Fit was originally designed for Europe and Japan... You know, places with low birth rates (and in the case of Japan, wee-statured people).

Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 PM
That makes sense. The fit works pretty well as an in town car with one car seat. For us, we've decided that renting a minivan for long road trips works great over owning a minivan or larger sedan. But yeah, if we had more than one kid, we'd have to trade in the fit.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Nonsense. You LOVE the Fit, right? One car seat will do, just pick the kid you like the best.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Nonsense. You LOVE the Fit, right? One car seat will do, just pick the kid you like the best.
Hahaha. Thats awesome

Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Bahaha!
+1 for making me laugh at work.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Hahaha. Thats awesome

lol u made me laugh too

Old 04-16-2011, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Its official. Soon as I get back to AZ in May I gotta say goodbye to my Fit. It's a wonderful car, just not big enough for me and my growing family. Sucks taking almost a 5k hit on trade in value, but it is what it is. Thinking about getting an Altima with the 2.4 inline 4 to maintain gas mileage. Anyways, its been fun. Thanks guys
That's what we did. We traded an integra GS-R & Civic Coupe for an Altima 3.5SE Two years later, we were back to honda in the FIT. The only down-side is rear facing car seats. If I had to do it again, I think I wouldn't have traded and we'd just have used the Ridgeline any time we needed to take the family anywhere. then again, We wouldn't have the FIT if we hadn't traded the two coupes.

Originally Posted by whaap
I have to agree that what ever you want is the way to go but I do have to ask: what would the Altima do for you that the Fit doesn't?
This is the whole reason we went to a mid-sized sedan. Not enough room for rear facing seats.

I liked our altima but the only reason we got it was because it was the last year of the accord and the first year of the Altima. It was a better vehicle than the outgoing accord (from a value standpoint) BUT... at this point, I'd go the Accord route. (especially if financing - Nissan Financial is AWFUL!!!!) I HIGHLY recommend keeping an eye out for an accord, especially if you can find a certified used one. The 2.5 is anemic in the altima which is why we went with the 3.5 and most of the guys over on NissanClub weren't getting much better economy (3-5mpg better IF that) than I was getting with the 3.5SE. Real world driving, the accord will be better on gas and it is a much higher quality interior. The Altima is very plasticky and ours was a sea of black with nothing to break it up. Also, you'll need to replace the stereo as the Fit's stereo is 10x better than our altima's (and again, it wasn't the base model but the 3.5SE).

PM me if you want more info on the altima. Decent car but definitely behind the accord in quality, economy, & performance.

~SB

Old 04-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
That's what we did. We traded an integra GS-R & Civic Coupe for an Altima 3.5SE Two years later, we were back to honda in the FIT. The only down-side is rear facing car seats. If I had to do it again, I think I wouldn't have traded and we'd just have used the Ridgeline any time we needed to take the family anywhere. then again, We wouldn't have the FIT if we hadn't traded the two coupes.

This is the whole reason we went to a mid-sized sedan. Not enough room for rear facing seats.

I liked our altima but the only reason we got it was because it was the last year of the accord and the first year of the Altima. It was a better vehicle than the outgoing accord (from a value standpoint) BUT... at this point, I'd go the Accord route. (especially if financing - Nissan Financial is AWFUL!!!!) I HIGHLY recommend keeping an eye out for an accord, especially if you can find a certified used one. The 2.5 is anemic in the altima which is why we went with the 3.5 and most of the guys over on NissanClub weren't getting much better economy (3-5mpg better IF that) than I was getting with the 3.5SE. Real world driving, the accord will be better on gas and it is a much higher quality interior. The Altima is very plasticky and ours was a sea of black with nothing to break it up. Also, you'll need to replace the stereo as the Fit's stereo is 10x better than our altima's (and again, it wasn't the base model but the 3.5SE).

PM me if you want more info on the altima. Decent car but definitely behind the accord in quality, economy, & performance.

~SB
If I were going to jump to a midsize sedan, I'd give a very, VERY strong look to the Kia Optima. 24/35 with MT, 24/34 with the automatic (200hp 2.4L) or 22/34 with the 274 hp 2.0 Turbo. It's basically a twin of the Hyundai Sonata, which was more or less tied with the Accord and Altima in the 2011 Consumer Reports car issue, and listed as the top value behind the Prius for midsize cars.

10 yr/100K mile powertrain warranty, raving reviews, great value, forefront of technology, and without the swoopy batmobile on crack lines of the Hyundai.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey, glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your kind words.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
If I were going to jump to a midsize sedan, I'd give a very, VERY strong look to the Kia Optima. 24/35 with MT, 24/34 with the automatic (200hp 2.4L) or 22/34 with the 274 hp 2.0 Turbo. It's basically a twin of the Hyundai Sonata, which was more or less tied with the Accord and Altima in the 2011 Consumer Reports car issue, and listed as the top value behind the Prius for midsize cars.

10 yr/100K mile powertrain warranty, raving reviews, great value, forefront of technology, and without the swoopy batmobile on crack lines of the Hyundai.
Hyundai and Kia have definitely come a long way in quality and give you more bang for the buck than Honda or Toyota. Unfortunately when I test drove a Hyundai (before buying the fit), I was a sorely disappointed. The manual tranny was vague and boring and the steering had a dead spot at about 35 mph. The fit was whole different driving experience--and by different I mean better.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:44 AM
My girlfriend has Nissan Altima and honestly that car is huge. The amount of space you have in the back seat makes me happy. I'm 6'2 and 220lbs and I'm comfortable in the back seat.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm not a fan of Kia or Hyundai, cheap and poor quality.
i would pay extra for honda quality.
ALTIMA isn't too bad.....i would rather get an accord.
The fit is a great 2nd car or a commuter car, if I had kids..i would be looking for a ridgeline or odyssey

Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
I can definitely relate to needing more room, so don't take this in a negative way. This is what my Fit can hold:

- 4 Humans, one of them in a rear facing carseat. :-)
- A big dog in the hatch.
- Luggage on the rear floor, under the back seats. (Yes lots of room under there.)

It's snug, but we're pretty good at packing having been campers. I look at it as getting maximum efficiency out of the car. (33 MPG hauling all this at 70 mph, not bad.)

Old 04-20-2011, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
I'm not a fan of Kia or Hyundai, cheap and poor quality.
i would pay extra for honda quality.
ALTIMA isn't too bad.....i would rather get an accord.
The fit is a great 2nd car or a commuter car, if I had kids..i would be looking for a ridgeline or odyssey
I test drove a huyndai and the quality was top notch. No way did the car look or feel cheap. In fact, I thought it was slightly superior to Honda or Toyota in materials and bang for the buck. But I did not like the drive. The MT was not on par with Honda and it had a dead spot in the steering at around 35 mph. I was disappointed as a driver but for people who like to steer, I think it would more than satisfy.

Edit: I see I repeated myself from an earlier post. Must be old age setting in.

Last edited by know-nothin; 04-20-2011 at 05:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Byebye Fit