2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Enemy (Lost Motion Springs) Revealed - Pic.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
The Enemy (Lost Motion Springs) Revealed - Pic.

Well, I've got my head off so I figured I show you guys a picture of the LMS.

They're the little springs on the bottom in the rocker arm assembly that support the vtec lobe rocker arms. I showed my old man (used to working on late model small block v8s) the assembly and he asked if it came from a space ship...

Aww look at those little sleeves/pistons, aren't they cute? I have to admit the stock sleeves are thicker than I thought they would be. You can see where the HG blew out between cylinder 1&2. Luckily no damage to the block deck. However, I'm probably just going to buy a new engine since they are so cheap ($500). There are plenty of engines out there in salvage yards form people who have totalled their fit, but no demand. I'm probably the only person in the country looking for one. The engines are just too new. Bad for them, good for me.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 04-18-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Wow, an engine for less than the price of a rim!

Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
That's pretty sweet. Thanks for the pics and info Lyon!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I'm probably just going to buy a new engine since they are so cheap ($500)
Wow, really? I wish more serious tuner-types would catch on to what's going on with these little cars, and the affordable performance that can be gotten out of them. Maybe the B-spec series will help the Fit gain popularity among enthusiasts out there. If gas prices don't go down, you can bet on it.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
If you're gonna keep the long block send it to John @ Advanced! Or maybe I'll take it there for ya since they know me and we'll see about getting it decked, milled and O-ringed.

Then all you need to do is drop in say.. an MLS HG and a Mahle/K1 bottom end then boost to the moon!

Old 04-18-2011, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
If you're gonna keep the long block send it to John @ Advanced! Or maybe I'll take it there for ya since they know me and we'll see about getting it decked, milled and O-ringed.

Then all you need to do is drop in say.. an MLS HG and a Mahle/K1 bottom end then boost to the moon!
Aww, but for that price I could probably blow up FOUR stock longblocks! Remember we still haven't found the true limit for boost for the stock block since this still the aftermath of nitrous run amok. Goodness knows how long that hg was leaking before it reached the coolant passage. I fully intend to find out what the stock engine can take with the high supply and low demand for low mileage l15a7s.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
SSSSSOLLLDDDD! Just bought my $500 engine. Picking it up tomorrow. Gotta drive up to wisconsin. 2009 09 Honda Fit Engine 1.5L Motor 18K L15A7 OEM LKQ | eBay

Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
You're on it man! Nice.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member

my new baby.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
I spent more money in an iPad. I wish I had a shop/space!!

Really looking forward to seeing what all this leads to eventually.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
I spent more money in an iPad. I wish I had a shop/space!!

If this isn't the quote of the decade, I don't know what is.

~SB

Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 AM
For a 2009 and up car that is a fantastic deal! GD3 engines are going for $700-1k for a good one!

For that exact reason though I hope tuners don't pick up on it, now bear with me on this... unless you want to spend $5k on a longblock.

How are you gonna go about this? Keep the new engine as a back up for drop in when needed and just deck the old block, ring it and slap a new HG on? BLOW ONE OF THESE SUCKERS UP!

We need to find the limit of those twiggy con-rods some how! They are forged after all lol

But check this out, one can, and I recently did, buy a long block 6-bolt 4G63T with a (Kiggly main bearing girdle!) for less than the price of a carton of smokes.

$40 (rotating assembly, balance shafts, main seal, oil pump and oil squirters out for machine work):

Helps that these motors are two decades old based of an early 70s Mitsu Sirius family engine that stayed in production through world rally homologation requirements of course...

Anywho.. let me know if you need a second set of hands when it comes time to drop the motor in!

But the L15A7 stands a chance to become just as prolific now that they can be used in b-spec and formula racing!

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 04-22-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Verrry interesting......these engines are used in b spec racing, right? Wonder what LMS they have? And can somebody in b spec racing get ahold of a set of the new LMS, and that neat set of spacers to hold the rocker assemblies together?

I'd just looove to do this silly LMS recall myself, if I could get the springs and the tools.

geo

Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I laughed when I found out the msrp for those tiny springs is $106.00 WTF are they made of?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I laughed when I found out the msrp for those tiny springs is $106.00 WTF are they made of?
I'll bet it's that alloy that always turns up when you look for uncommon parts.....

a 50/50 alloy of Costlium and Unobtanium. Both rare and expensive.

But can they be found, as well as the tools?

geo

Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
You can order them from Bernardi parts. No special tools just a full set of metric sockets, and a torque wrench.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
hmmmm....had not thought of Bernardi....bought a few things there and they seem pretty good. I have the hand tools but would like to have those little rocker arm assembly holders that are mentioned in the service bulletin. Might give 'em a try....

geo

Old 04-27-2011, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
The rocker arm assembly holder is that big plate in my top picture holding all rocker arms together. It is just bolted on to the head which you can also see on the top picture. It's actually a very nice easy to work with setup. The spring just pop right out of the holder (which is actually the rocker arm holder itself.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
No, I meant those 4 pairs of holders and spacers that are used in the LMS replacement procedure as the whole rocker assembly is being taken apart to get at the LMS. The one bolt holding the shaft to the bridge is removed, and then these spacers are inserted at one end as the shaft is pulled out the other way. Keeps each cylinder's rockers rockers, spacers, etc all together as a unit. When the shaft is all the way out, you have 4 subassemblies and the LMS are the only things left in the bridge. It's shown in the service bulletin (page 3) and called "rocker arm holder set".

geo

Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Thumbs up

Lyon, props to you for doing all of this. I learn a ton overtime I read one of your threads lol

Quick Reply: The Enemy (Lost Motion Springs) Revealed - Pic.