2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me to buy a 2011 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Convince me to buy a 2011 Fit

Hello everyone.

I'm here because I want to hear why I should buy a new Honda Fit over the competition. The other car I'm considering is the Mazda2. After doing extensive research and test driving both cars, I still can't make up my mind. Here's what I like and dislike about each car:

Honda Fit: I like the cargo room, it feels bigger inside, interior is very nice, and the manual transmission felt nice to shift. I do not like the exterior styling or the engine noise. I was able to drive the Fit on a test track at the dealer, so I was able to get a better feel for the handling and acceleration than with the Mazda2, but I do believe that the Mazda2 handles better.

Mazda2: I love the exterior styling, interior was not quite as nice as the Fit, but it was still pretty good. The manual transmission in this car was good. There is not as much cargo room. However, the car was very fun to drive and the handling felt better than the Fit.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards the Mazda2, mostly because of the fun-to-drive factor and the exterior styling. The extra cargo room in the Fit is a plus, but I'm not 100% convinced that it will make a huge difference for me.

So, sell me on the Fit. Why should I buy it over the Mazda2? Thank you in advance.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 AM
I looked at the mazda2, the fit just had better interior room.

This thread is weird though. No one here has a vested interest in the number of Fit's sold.

Buy whichever car you like better. It sounds like you want the mazda2 more.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 PM
For me, the cargo space and usable rear seat were the selling points of the fit. So if that's what you want, then go with the fit. If you like the Mazda2 better, there's nothing wrong with that. its a good car as well.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Speecmerchant
I looked at the mazda2, the fit just had better interior room.

This thread is weird though. No one here has a vested interest in the number of Fit's sold.

Buy whichever car you like better. It sounds like you want the mazda2 more.
I realize that people on this forum aren't salespeople for Honda, I'm just interested to see what you guys like about the Fit versus the competition. As of right now, I really can't make up my mind so I'm looking for some input from owners of the Fit.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't dislike Mazda's. Currently my second car is a Miata and it's the second one I've owned. However, if I was undecided I think I would let the reliability factor help me make up my mind. I consider Honda products better in quality than Mazda products. That would break the tie for me.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mcamp

Right now, I'm leaning more towards the Mazda2, mostly because of the fun-to-drive factor and the exterior styling. The extra cargo room in the Fit is a plus, but I'm not 100% convinced that it will make a huge difference for me.
if cargo space ranks very low on your priorities, and your gut and heart are saying "mazda," then go with the mazda.

the fit literally has more than twice the cargo capacity of the mazda2. the back seats on the mazda2 dont even fold flat.
for me, the versatility/utility of the fit was a huge selling point.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Wait for the hybrid version. Don't buy anything in the next 1 or 2 years.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spin out
if cargo space ranks very low on your priorities, and your gut and heart are saying "mazda," then go with the mazda.

the fit literally has more than twice the cargo capacity of the mazda2. the back seats on the mazda2 dont even fold flat.
Ditto the sentiment here. I'm 6' 00" tall and in the driver position, I have the seat pushed all the way back. I can actually sit in the seat behind the drivers position with the front seat pushed all the way back. Looking at the new crop of hatchback's like the Fiesta and Mazda 2, the rear leg room is not even close. In the end the Mazda 2 wasn't released yet when I bought my 09' Fit, but I think I would still choose the Fit. It's just to damn useful to carry 4 people and stuff when you need it. Really the rear "magic" seat is what sold me.

Also you might want to check insurance costs on the two cars, it might swing one way or the other for you.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
if you're set on getting a japanese car, better pull the trigger as soon as possible before the earthquake supply shortage causes prices to go up higher than they already have.

I suppose that's the best convincing argument I have to buy now now now...

Otherwise see if you can wait a couple years for the supply to stabilize.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM
E B
It's gooood!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by whaap
I don't dislike Mazda's. Currently my second car is a Miata and it's the second one I've owned. However, if I was undecided I think I would let the reliability factor help me make up my mind. I consider Honda products better in quality than Mazda products. That would break the tie for me.
Agreed. Honda's are simply a breed apart as far as my experience goes from owning a '98 CR-V for 11 years and now my '09 Fit. And, IMO, the interior fit and finish should outweigh the exterior for you. Driving fun factor? There can't be much difference here as the Fit is one of the most fun cars to drive ever - especially anywhere with tight turns. I'd think the loss in not going with the Mazda 2 would be minimal.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
For me it was Honda reliability. Dealership made a difference, too. The Honda dealership in town is very good while the Mazda/Ford dealership does not have the best reputation. I loved the interior room and the versatility of the magic seats sold me.
Since I was weaning myself off a Subaru wagon -- with the Fit's cargo space, I feel I did not need to compromise much. Buy whichever car you like best and meets you needs.

FWIW- here is a review from Car & Driver comparing the Ford Fiesta, Mazda2 & Honda Fit.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Last edited by sooznd; 04-25-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
What do you want from the car? Performance, gas mileage, utility, cool factor??

If you have children or often drive with passengers go with the fit.

If gas mileage is important then I think the fit has the advantage.

Also the comfort factor. I'm 6' 2" and the fit is comfortable for me. Not just because of leg room and the telescoping steering wheel, but it has more headroom than my minivan.

I can drive with three large passengers and still get good gas mileage and the rear passengers are surprisingly comfortable.

I've read complaints about highway and engine noise. Personally I don't hear it. I guess it depends on what you are used to. I drove a taurus and a 95 aerostar. The Fit is quiet compared to those.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by spin out

This right here -- cargo space was huge for me. Also, I think the fit gets better MPGs. That helps with the constantly rising gas prices.

Yeah, and the engine noise for me is not a factor -- I usually have my music loud, and I previously had a 2003 subaru outback, which were notorious for having horrendous engine and cabin noise.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 PM
So, sell me on the Fit. Why should I buy it over the Mazda2? Thank you in advance.
I can only tell you my top reasons for going with the Fit...

-Honda reliability
-great dealer just down the street from where I live
-reasonably economical to purchase and operate
-flexible interior with almost minivan cargo capacity

...that plus I wanted to try something different this time around from having owned Ford, Chrysler and Toyota products in the past.

I spent about a year mulling the decision over and considering other vehicles but with all things considered I always came back to the Fit as the right choice for me this time around.

Sure, the Fit has some shortcomings... most vehicles do.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Top reason for getting a Fit.....

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Pick a topic and read. Everyone loves it. Great community here that has a wealth of information.

Last edited by Cowboy_Fit; 04-25-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 AM
What the faq is a Mazda 2 never heard of it before... Anyways i got the fit cause iwas able to fit a queen bed inside with the mattress inside the fit with no problem... LoL i wanted a SUV but i think the Fit did the job hahaha lol

About the mazda comment i think the fit S looks way better in my opinion...

Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 AM
Hello everyone.

Mazda2: I love the exterior styling, interior was not quite as nice as the Fit, but it was still pretty good. The manual transmission in this car was good. There is not as much cargo room. However, the car was very fun to drive and the handling felt better than the Fit.

From your notes, it seems that handling, fun to drive, exterior styling is high on your priorities list over cargo space, Those requirements (handling, fun, styling) are very personal to you and very subjective from individual to individual.

If you test drove that the Mazda2 handles better, had given you more fun and you love the styling better, then, I would think you will be happier with the Mazda2 and you will like the feeling each time you park your car, that you will like to glance back at your parked car as you walk away from it.

Before you make your final decision, you may like to check out Honda CRZ sports car which some folks like the handling, great looks but no cargo space which may suit you.

I am not sure how far up the following points are in your priorities list as FIT seems to excel in the following:-

1) great resale value
2) Proven reliability... key word "PROVEN" track record
3) Endorsed by independent consumer report - If I am not mistaken, I think FIT won over Mazda2 over several criteria tested
4) I heard of posters of this forum (if you search other threads) who are previous race car drivers who loved the FIT. This speaks a lot to me.

Good luck in your decision. Whatever your decision will be, you have to feel satisfied with your purchase and would always want to glance back at your parked car as you walked away

Old 04-26-2011, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
Don't buy it unless you're gonna do something with it, save it for someone willing to push the platform forward.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Only one thing to say about that.. Its a mazda.. Honda Fit FTW! nuff said

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy a 2011 Fit