2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dinged for 'security package?'

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Dinged for 'security package?'

Hi. I am buying a used Honda Fit from a dealer here in Toronto, Canada. On the invoice, he is insisting on charging me 300 dollars for a security package...explaining that it is for wheel lock and anti-theft insurance. He claims it is not an option, and comes with every used car they sell. Is this true? Any similar experiences?
cheers
Chris

Old 05-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by blueumbrella
Hi. I am buying a used Honda Fit from a dealer here in Toronto, Canada. On the invoice, he is insisting on charging me 300 dollars for a security package...explaining that it is for wheel lock and anti-theft insurance. He claims it is not an option, and comes with every used car they sell. Is this true? Any similar experiences?
cheers
Chris
I call their little "upgrade" a dealer revenue generation program.

Your regular car insurance will cover theft. You can pickup wheel locks somewhere else if you want them.

Not sure I would buy a car from them. See what happens when you tell
them the package is a showstopper for you.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
100% scam. Do not buy from them.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:43 AM
ADP - Added Dealer Profit, used to be stuff like undercoating, window serial number etching, "paint protection", etc. Now, it's more typically a "mandatory doc fee". The way around this bullhocky is to negotiate in terms of the "out the door" price - everything included: taxes, tags, title, BS fees, etc. - in other words, negotiate for the amount that you write on the check to drive the car out the door. You don't typically care which categories they drop the numbers from that final price into on their sales sheet. They may care because it may affect how the sales commission is computed and/or divided. If they won't negotiate on that basis, walk out (they'll probably suddenly discover that, my goodness, we can talk final price after all). If they come up with an OTD price, then "find" some other fee/BS that they "forgot" while you're doing the paperwork, walk away from the deal altogether - they're douchebags and will treat you badly in the future if you need their help with anything.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Ask the dealer what the Anti Theft Insurance is and how it differs from your regular insurance.

As for the wheel locks, if they are installed on the car, then the dealer doesn't have to remove them as it is a used car. The car is being sold as it came in the door likely and the wheel locks came with it. They don't want the extra wheel locks laying around so they are selling it as part of the car. (HOWEVER, they shouldn't be selling it as a separate package if it did come in like that on trade).

I'd find out more about the theft protection and tell them that if it isn't something such as a car alarm with tilt sensors etc (above/beyond the factory alarm that is already installed in the car) you just don't want it.

Tell them if it is mandatory for them to include it, you'll need to see a $300 discount somewhere else... such as the price of the car.

~SB

Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Banned
Make sure you check new Fit prices too. Used Fit prices are way high. I paid $14.7 for my 2009 base Fit new. The dealer I traded it to has it listed for $17.

Last edited by Chad T; 05-06-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks and update

Thanks for all your responses...here is the latest email from the dealer. MY BS detector is going off now...

"This is called Anti Theft Insurance which the dealer has already
paid to a company.It covers only for theft.
If your car is stolen witnin 5 years this company
will pay the dealer $5000 which will be passed to you
when you replace with a New or Used Car from our dealership.

Secondly we are putting a wheel lock on all the cars as the
stealing of tires and alloy wheels are too much in Toronto.

Since it has been paid I cannot remove it from the deal.
Pl note that we are not charging any administration fee
which most of the dealers do."

Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Snake oil. Don't try to negotiate with them. Just say no and walk away.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Well that's nice, you get money you have to spend back at the same dealership?

I'd stay WAY WAY WAY away from this, they sound like horrible people to deal with.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all your responses...here is the latest email from the dealer. MY BS detector is going off now...

Walk away, or tell them you want another $400 off the car.

$300 for the bs they are feeding you, and $100 for your time for dealing with their BS.

You can get wheel locks for about $50-60 or cheaper ( Honda OEM)

Your insurance should already cover theft unless there is some strange law in canada where it doesnt.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Tell him that you do not want the $300 security package. If he refuses, then walk away. That's a dealership ripoff.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 PM
dont buy everytime i buy my FIT S which comes with that except the wheel lock. dealer said if i want the alarm to be installed i need to pay 300 plus as well. i said no cause i already know that the FIT S comes with the alarm. I have owned 2008 and 09 FIT S and they both came with it. LOL

Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member

This isn't theft coverage... you are signing up for the Dealer's Club. you have the honor of buying a vehicle from them again if yours gets stolen. Let them know that if they don't remove it (or at least discount the car another $300), there's no way they'd get yo as a return customer. if they work with you now, when it is time for a new car, they'll have first dibs.

If they gave you $5000 to spend anywhere, that's one thing... but a $5000 credit towards a car that might or might not get stolen for use at only one location.... ripoff. again, that's why there is insurance.

If they won't budge... you could just Tell them you aren't looking for them to take the warranty off... just looking for an additional $300 discount. Ask them if they are willing to lose a potential repeat customer?

~SB

Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Well that's fine and dandy, as long as they reduce the price of the car by $500. It only favors the dealer because you would have to replace your stolen car with a car from that dealer!

Wow, that is a scam. i wouldn't do business with them.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
I wonder if they pay someone to steal your car too...

Old 05-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by SteveInNC
ADP - Added Dealer Profit, used to be stuff like undercoating, window serial number etching, "paint protection", etc. Now, it's more typically a "mandatory doc fee". The way around this bullhocky is to negotiate in terms of the "out the door" price - everything included: taxes, tags, title, BS fees, etc. - in other words, negotiate for the amount that you write on the check to drive the car out the door. You don't typically care which categories they drop the numbers from that final price into on their sales sheet. They may care because it may affect how the sales commission is computed and/or divided. If they won't negotiate on that basis, walk out (they'll probably suddenly discover that, my goodness, we can talk final price after all). If they come up with an OTD price, then "find" some other fee/BS that they "forgot" while you're doing the paperwork, walk away from the deal altogether - they're douchebags and will treat you badly in the future if you need their help with anything.
This is the best advice in this thread. Don't try to negotiate details with a dealer as it's a waste of time. OTD price is only thing that matters. If your OTD price is acceptable then forget about the $300 BS charge as it is a freebie. If dealer wants to sell you the car with an invoice listing car as $100 and wheels for $10,900 vs Car for $11,000 what is the difference to you? Exactly no difference, OTD it will be 11 large for you either way.

_

Old 05-07-2011, 09:02 AM
If you have a good supply of ink in your printer you should print out this thread. Take it to the dealership, ask them to read it and then ask them what would they do if they were in your position.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Run... do not walk from this deal.

And do the rest of the world a favor and expose the dealers name so no one else gets taken advantage of.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
cheers
Chris

Auto dealers universally come up with ways to separate the customer from additional money. It seems to be a part of the business. How refreshing to see that business practices on both sides of the US/Canada border are so similar.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Glad to see you are here asking about it. You are ahead of the game already.

Pay someone to steal the car that's hilarious, probably true but still funny!

JIm 0311

Quick Reply: Dinged for 'security package?'