2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy mods gone wrong- Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Easy mods gone wrong- Anyone else?

So last night I installed a progress rear sway bar in my Fit. The mod was relatively simple. Being an anal SOB, I even painted the nuts and protruding bolt threads to prevent corrosion. To do so I jacked the car up pretty high so I could get a good angle under there. I also had my rear hatch open.

So I spray a little paint and think, "this stuff stinks." I go to open the garage door, press the button, and as I'm walking back to the car I see my tailgate moving (it's against the door arm mechanism that hangs down in the center!) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOES!. I run back and stop the door, knowing I just screwed up my cherry ride with only 6k miles on it .

Luckily, no dent, but a hairline vertical scratch, so no longer perfect .

Not only am I anal, but I'm also cheap. I touched it up and it wouldn't be obvious unless you are looking for it. Dang it though, because now my eyes will gravitate right to it and I'm going to obsess for days!

Would love to hear other horror stories to make me feel better .

Last edited by jondotcom; 05-06-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:24 PM
iv been there before man. i cant think of anything obvious off hand but i know exactly what you mean. dont sweat it, shit happens

Old 05-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Uhm, yeah.

Probably shouldn't paint the threads on your hardware. Dunno what kind of hardware the sway bar comes with, but you shouldn't have corrosion issues if it's worth a crap.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Stuff gone wrong:
-Broke both clips on rear license plate lenses, had to order new ones.
-Broke a couple of clips while removing cowl.
-Snapped off a wheel stud when removing a lug nut and then ordered the wrong stud.
-Dropped a nut for the taillight into a hole on the side of the car, couldn't find it with a magnet tool.
-Steering wheel decal ripped off the H's silver finish when I removed it.
-(Not my fault) Someone egged my car twice so now there are circular paint chips on the driver-side door.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:09 PM
my driver's side axle popped out the first time I lowered my car. it seems to do that pretty often so I didn't feel too bad.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Vanct
-Dropped a nut for the taillight into a hole on the side of the car, couldn't find it with a magnet tool.
Ditto........

Old 05-06-2011, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Have a little circle cut in my back bumper where it looks like a car hit my bumper with a license plate bolt. Not too noticeable but drives me crazy. Dropping bolts in hard to reach places is a special trait of mine when it comes to working on the car.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by score04w
Have a little circle cut in my back bumper where it looks like a car hit my bumper with a license plate bolt. Not too noticeable but drives me crazy. Dropping bolts in hard to reach places is a special trait of mine when it comes to working on the car.
That's more of an accident though...instead of a self-inflicted damage done in the course of trying to improve your car.

I got some wax on the door edge film. Tried to remove it with detail spray, but the detail spray just ended up hazing the plastic of the film just making it worse. Not a big deal, but I think it's matches the spirit of the thread.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
I was installing my PRM intake and my car just wouldn't run right afterward. Well it turns out somewhere along the way my MAF sensor was damaged and had to be replaced. Something that should have taken and hour took 2 days....lol

Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Dropped that stupid bolt you have to take out to get the radio out. Although I found it today when I installed the center arm rest.

The big one that I am going to need to fix is I broke the little black triangle trim piece behind the window on the rear passenger side door when I was installing the door visors. The stud stayed in the door and the panel came off and won't stay on now. My car only has 800 miles on it too.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Off load'n fishing gear last week from the roof rack and leaned against the driver's side door Mugen rain/wind visor....and crack!!! So now I'm ridin' around without my visors for the first time since I owned it. "FuthaMuCKa"

Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Ditto

Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
my driver's side axle popped out the first time I lowered my car. it seems to do that pretty often so I didn't feel too bad.
Just keep the mishaps little it's a DD. I had my baby for 3 weeks and someone dropped something on the p.s door and put the littlest ding in it but @ that point the "skunk" was blown off of it. Just enjoy it, and mod her out!
Big Mike

Old 05-06-2011, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Wink All things through Pray and Supplication

Originally Posted by vinnymac
Off load'n fishing gear last week from the roof rack and leaned against the driver's side door Mugen rain/wind visor....and crack!!! So now I'm ridin' around without my visors for the first time since I owned it. "FuthaMuCKa"
Easy fix Vinny! S.G wet sand the crack and paint those babies to match the Fit!! Custom and save a roll of cash to replace, if there the real deal!
Big Mike on da down lo

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 05-06-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by x_25
Dropped that stupid bolt you have to take out to get the radio out. Although I found it today when I installed the center arm rest.

The big one that I am going to need to fix is I broke the little black triangle trim piece behind the window on the rear passenger side door when I was installing the door visors. The stud stayed in the door and the panel came off and won't stay on now. My car only has 800 miles on it too.
is the hole in the pannel too large now? to stay on the stud. if so wrap stud w/ teflon tape till it is able to hold in the hole. If what i'm think'n isn't correct shoot me a PM
Big Mike

Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
That's more of an accident though...instead of a self-inflicted damage done in the course of trying to improve your car.

I got some wax on the door edge film. Tried to remove it with detail spray, but the detail spray just ended up hazing the plastic of the film just making it worse. Not a big deal, but I think it's matches the spirit of the thread.
Try wd-40/and a terrycloth rag, it works great on removing adhesives.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vanct
Stuff gone wrong:
-Broke both clips on rear license plate lenses, had to order new ones.
-Broke a couple of clips while removing cowl.
-Snapped off a wheel stud when removing a lug nut and then ordered the wrong stud.
-Steering wheel decal ripped off the H's silver finish when I removed it.
-(Not my fault) Someone egged my car twice so now there are circular paint chips on the driver-side door.

Even so w/all that you still have one Hot Fit!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
is the hole in the pannel too large now? to stay on the stud. if so wrap stud w/ teflon tape till it is able to hold in the hole. If what i'm think'n isn't correct shoot me a PM
Big Mike
I'll shoot a PM with some pictures tomorrow, but the problem is the stud is in the door and the panel is not. Whereas the stud should be on the panel. Kind of hard to explain.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb So in Conclusion Gentlemen

If Life Throws Lemons at ya, gather them up!!!
It's Time for some Lemon Aid
Make it a Wonderful weekend and touch someone's life in a positive way.
Mike

Old 05-06-2011, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by x_25
I'll shoot a PM with some pictures tomorrow, but the problem is the stud is in the door and the panel is not. Whereas the stud should be on the panel. Kind of hard to explain.
WE can Do It!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
My first mod to my ride was tints.I went to a tint shop to do the work.For my luck the person make three burn spots to 2 of my plastic B-pillars of my car with the heat gun installing the tints.But the shop replace the pillars with new ones.Two days with the car and this happen.... But i'm happy when the damage parts was replace with the new ones.....

Quick Reply: Easy mods gone wrong- Anyone else?