2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's the skinny on Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
what's the skinny on Traction Control?

I tried a search. Haven't read the details in the manual yet.

Does it affect anything being turned on - drag on engine power, breaking etc?

Does it annoy drivers who already have decades of experience know how to control their vehicles in the worst of icey and turning/braking situations?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Its nice if you have a 5spd like I do, because the stock tires break loose rather easily in the rain and snow.

I've never really been a fan of ABS, or TCS, but it doesn't seem to be intrusive on the Fit at all. At least not in my daily driving.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Here's an informative explanation: Traction Control

I believe it was an option only available w/ the Navi package up till the 2010's but is now standard on the Fit.

I didn't spring for the Navi, have a 2010 MT Fit and wish it had TCS.

I've been driving cars since the early 60's and I think the TCS is a positive step in driving a car, bummed I missed it by a year on my Fit.

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 05-10-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I stand corrected. New Fit's have VSA + TCS

So, VSA is this, an enhanced ABS system: Electronic Stability Control

Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
yeah that stuff. I can see it's use in icey Iowa where winter is heck most of the time and look forward to it's use then, but maybe it hinders me on dry pavement turning or dragging on the engine when braking? just some thoughts.

I'm sure leaving it on all the time is the preferred use as you would NEVER have time to activate it when you are going into an uncontrollable slide. Since one doesn't know WHEN that will happen....

just wondering what, if any, cost there is mechanically having it on on a Honda Fit

Old 05-10-2011, 06:03 PM
It shouldn't interfere.

A couple of years ago I had to swerve drastically at highway speed to avoid a collision and when I straightened the wheels I was still sliding, I swerved back, started sliding the other way... and after a couple of oscillations got the car under control and continued... I was amazed I was able to do so (just luck)... and realized that traction control would've taken care of that for me. Because next time I might not be so lucky.

Computers drive better than we do, is what I'm saying.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
I'm looking at a 2011 Manual Sport. Does anyone know if the tpms valves are connected to the traction control etc? I was just wondering what will be involved if I change to aftermarket wheels.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by runbikerun
I'm looking at a 2011 Manual Sport. Does anyone know if the tpms valves are connected to the traction control etc? I was just wondering what will be involved if I change to aftermarket wheels.
I believe the Manual states that if the TPMS sensors are not in the tires(the system doesn't detect them), the VSA is engaged all of the time. Just transfer the TPMS sensors over to the new wheels.

~SB

Old 05-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
I believe the Manual states that if the TPMS sensors are not in the tires(the system doesn't detect them), the VSA is engaged all of the time. Just transfer the TPMS sensors over to the new wheels.

~SB
^This

If there is any problems detected with the TPMS system, you can not turn off the VSA or TC.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Example: if I want to burn rubber in 1st gear on my Automatic... if that is even possible... will shutting off the ESC/TC whatever allow that?

I left it in D and romped it, and it took off, but didn't spin. Will it ever spin the tires? Like in 1st, with ESC fully off?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
i can answer that, i have a brand new 2011 ge8, and a sport auto. the answer is "no way in hell" you could stand on the the brake and gas at the same time and release the brake, and it STILL wont burn rubber, youre going to need about 50+hp to the wheels to pull that one off in an auto. now my old jetta VR6, that did it fine, but it also had a v-6 with 200hp...

Old 05-11-2011, 11:22 AM
If the VSA detects wheel slip, it'll kick on to eliminate it. Of course, the engine doesn't really have enough power to allow much spin anyway. If the road is wet or icy I've seen some spin. But on dry road its pretty uncommon.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
I hate the ABS on the Fit, it even kicks in when i hit a pothole or a speed bump... totally retarded.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by codenamezero
I hate the ABS on the Fit, it even kicks in when i hit a pothole or a speed bump... totally retarded.
Now, THIS is interesting! Can you provide more detail

Old 05-11-2011, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wwjd
Now, THIS is interesting! Can you provide more detail
Well here in Montreal, we are famous with our potholes, you can find one literally every meter... A quick example would be i am braking for a red light, normal braking, and there are tons of potholes before reaching the light, everytime the Fit goes over one, the ABS would kick in. You can hear the ABS pump pumping, and the feedback from the brake pedal.

I suspect the Fit has a 2 stage ABS system, because during winter, when i am actually skidding, the feedback is actually MUCH stronger. When i go over potholes/speedbumps it seems i only feel vibration and can hear the pump for about 1-2 seconds. Is not a big deal, is just annoying.

I think the ABS is just WAY too sensitive. I used to drive a Toyota Yaris on the exact same roads, and it never triggered the ABS on the Yaris, except in winter when it skid of course.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
interesting. maybe tires rotate out of sync for part of a second as one rolls through a deeper hole... but while turning, tire sync is sensed and compensated for.

I'll try to burn the tires taking off after the pavement dies out

Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I actually had the traction control stall me out. My foot slipped off the clutch on a slick spot and the VSC cut the engine power and I didn't catch it quick enough and car stalled. Not a big deal in normal driving but it looks like it will cut off some shenanigans hehehe. Now that my Fit is broken in I have been looking for the corning limits of the stock tires and I can see why they put the VSC as standard. There have been a couple of times that I figured if I pushed it much harder the rear might come out. Not really an issue in the dry but in more moist conditions it could be a surprise for someone. As for as I'm concerned nothing that can't be solved with upgrading from the stock tires to something much better. It would help with keeping the ABS at bay too, because grippier tires mean less chance for lock up.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm really amazed at how unintrusive it is. As far as it causing some sort of "drag" on the engine, no. It's not going to randomly apply the brakes going 70mph in a straght line on the hwy.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
My experience has been that the GE8 has bad wheelspin issues with the manual in wet conditions. The gearing is short and the engine is responsive to inputs.

My tires are on their way out though. Yesterday I could not get traction at the top of 3rd () with a little rain on the ground, which was a new one on me for a low powered, normally aspirated 4 banger. Prior to the k&N intake, I never experienced that either, so I think the power level has been raised.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
I'll do some playing around with my AT. I bet I can spin them somehow with the ESC shut off. Not BRAKE STANDS but just taking off. Shifting 1-2-3-D feels very "MANUAL" like with this car. Could be fun.